New Burro Style Frame for Uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
New Burro Style Frame for Uhaul

I wanted to rebuild the frame for my Uhaul CT13 after the Burro frame. It seems much simpler than trying to recreate the Uhaul frame. I may try to undertake this project and have everything galvanized before mounting the egg back on. Would anyone happen to know if the uhaul would fit the burro frame? I would assume the camper to frame mount locations might not be the same but this would not be a problem as the locations can be placed where needed under uhaul camper during fabrication.

Another idea I have considered is building a trailer with the same type of aluminum beams used on boat trailers.

I want to use an axle with leaf springs in lieu of a torsion axle, especially if the complete frame will be galvanized.

I am interested in hearing what others have to say regarding this matter. Thanks in advance.

Rob in miami, fl
rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
whats the matter with your uhaul frame? Galvanized, are you putting it in the water. My attitude is if I can fix what I have without it becoming a major project, that's all the more time I can be using it. Our Uhaul is not intended to be a show piece, it's an inexpensive trailer that we have made some repairs and modifications to so as to make it comfortable and livable for a few month period of time, and so far it's working out just fine. I do admire those that do a major overhaul or total resurrection, but we're out using ours. As for the camper to frame mounts, doesn't the Uhaul floor just set on the frame with elevator bolts through various locations. I replaced all of my body bolts and don't remember any pads between the floor and frame, so it could be bolted down at any location where you want to drill through the floor.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #3

Name: Rob
Trailer: U Haul CT 13
Florida
Somewhere along the chain of previous owners, the frame bent or broke just behind the stock axle. Also, a new axle was installed just behind the original axle so the wheel are about 2" off center in the wheel well. The frame was bent back and reinforced with weld and pieces of metal. The camper is functional but the condition bothers me. A new burro style frame wouldn't be too hard to build. What I mea t by pads was the mounting bolt locations.
rockead rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think that the answer is yes. You just need to support the body at all of the same points. UHaul uses tubing to create the lateral supports, but you could do the same thing with channel iron.

When the Companion camper was built off the old UHaul molds, they used a simpler frame.

These photos are from another member's UHaul showing original frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame1.jpg   Frame3.jpg  

Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Certainly an ambitious undertaking. When I was working, one of the other mechanics built a trailer frame in the shop, much to the annoyance of the rest of us, but one issue he had was getting it square and straight. I think his problem was that the angle iron he used wasn't heavy enough and it distorted some when welded. Not surprised at the results and later problems as he was a slam bang hurry up kind of guy. I've also had to deal with previous owners screw ups, on the restoration of our vintage teardrop and some on our Uhaul. But my favorite is how the PO of my '76 pickup used a bent bike wrench as a inside door handle. Good luck with that project Rob, I'm interested in seeing your progress. Will a spring axle affect the ride height?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
......Will a spring axle affect the ride height?
Good point. One advantage of the torsion axles is that the center of the axle doesn't rise when you hit a bump.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The U-Haul frame is a nice piece of work, but if you are willing to (or want to) give up its nearly unique features, I don't see any problem building a more conventional frame. It doesn't seem like there are any challenging features of the body to accommodate.

A dropped beam axle on leaf springs can allow the trailer to sit almost as low as the independent suspension, although sacrificing ride and handling. I would certainly plan for shock absorbers if doing this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As mentioned above, making and keeping a frame square while welding can be difficult unless you have the kind of frame tie downs or holding fixtures that trailer builders use.

Several years back I send a diagram of the Hunter frame out to several trailer builders for bids and was surprised at how inexpensive it was to have a new frame custom built by a pro. Most bids were well under $1000, including new axle, suspension and brakes, but excluding any wiring.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote