New Car - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #43

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Byron:

I don't suppose you'd believe that was a typo, would you? In 1999 Honda was anxious to prove that they could build a big car, so they offered a low-cost tow option which meant something. See picture below.

One of the many faults I have been correctly accused of having is that I treat zeroes as if they mean nothing. Maybe that's it.

29.7 mpg: I didn't believe it either, but I have checked many times on the Portland to Seattle run and it usually hovers around 28.4 mpg. This time I had the living traveling scared out of me by the high gas prices and I determined to stay at the speed limit and limit my running around to the ethnic food stores in Ballard. Checked and double checked, came out the same. I have another run tomorrow to try it again. The 15.7 mpg was towing the Burro back and forth across the country, an accurate average.

Roger:

I should think the Excursion would be a very fine tow vehicle, but I had another consideration: When going to fiberglass meets or other gatherings I usually practice my singing ("Cumbaya" etc.) on the road. I needed something with truly cathedral-like size. As Gina knows, there is no substitute for a REALLY LARGE interior for excellent acoustics. With a 3 to 4 second reverb time with the middle seats out the Ody is clearly on top of the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Ody_insigna.jpg  

Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #44

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
"ethnic food stores in Ballard."

STOP!!!!

I am leaking!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #45

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Quote:
Andy,

Already noted that, but thanks. It's lower Ball Joints.

The notices are not even out yet, They will start in Sept.

Every brand new car I have ever owned has had a recall or TSB...

Yeah I know most cars have issues. This is a pretty major one thats all. They are recalling all of them from what Ive read. They have had ball joint issues for years. It is a recall, TSB's are nothing, recalls are something. I used to sell Jeeps and like Libertys. But I love the old Cherokees and the 4.0 6cyls. They are well known for rear end problems, but the engine is rock solid. The Cherookee is the bests 4x4 for the money in mho. Its a shame they stopped making them.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:03 AM   #46

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Here is a link on the ball joint issue:

http://www.ilovejeeps.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16907

It shows how to check - PLUS one person (in the above thread) who had the earlier recall
done stated than when the replacement ball joints are done by Jeep,
they will have a LIFE TIME warranty - "IF" that is true, that is an
excellent deal - thus MAKE SURE you ask about that when you take your
Liberty in for the recall to verify.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #47

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Byron:

Made my promised run today, to Steilacoom (nice name) near Tacoma and back. Since you doubted the mileage that seemed too optimistic I decided to try again: had "my gas man" fill the tank and top it off, drove 275.4 miles and had him cram everything he could into it again. 8.515 gallons.

Being concerned that I had gloated about something not repeatable I took extra care with this one. I kept at or slightly under the speed limit, quit jerking the accelerator in town traffic, etc. Adds up to 32.34 mpg and I think it means that small changes in driving habits can pay surprising dividends. Enough of that.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #48

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Byron:

Made my promised run today, to Steilacoom (nice name) near Tacoma and back. Since you doubted the mileage that seemed too optimistic I decided to try again: had "my gas man" fill the tank and top it off, drove 275.4 miles and had him cram everything he could into it again. 8.515 gallons.

Being concerned that I had gloated about something not repeatable I took extra care with this one. I kept at or slightly under the speed limit, quit jerking the accelerator in town traffic, etc. Adds up to 32.34 mpg and I think it means that small changes in driving habits can pay surprising dividends. Enough of that.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to doubt your mileage figures as it relates to Ody. I have no reason to doubt. I was poking fun at the 35,000 lb tow capacity as that would relate to mileage. That big yellow thing don't get double digit mileage.

I agree that small changes in driving habits pay can pay off. The first trip, up the Gorge, I took with the trailer I was very disapointed with the mileage. Cruse control was set close to 65. Slowed down to 56-57 and gained almost 5 mpg. Now I'm finding it kind of fun to sit back take it easy and watch the traffic go by.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #49

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Now I'm finding it kind of fun to sit back take it easy and watch the traffic go by.
Me too!
No more 7000 mile cross country 2 week trips for me.