New curtains and use for rat fur walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
New curtains and use for rat fur walls

This year we began collecting patches at the various National Parks and Wildlife Refuges and some state parks. How better to use the rat fur walls than as an anchor for a small Velcro strip that is on the back of our patches?
Here a few are seen near our Scamp dining area. More on the left side as well.

We have also experienced issues with some campgrounds that are so security conscious that >90% of the areas are lit up like high noon in Arizona. This makes sleeping unpleasant.

While DW did update the curtains first thing after we picked up our Scamp in Oct. 2014 they were light weight and thin so loads of light leakage. The first iteration of curtains and light showing though can be seen in the patch on wall picture above.

She decided to use the original brown curtains that came with the Scamp as liners and found some great fabric on-line.

So far the door is completed. A view from the inside and the brown side faces the door window so that is visible from the outside.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I LOVE your patches on the wall! And the curtains are pretty fabulous as well! We've been collecting stickers for years from the National Parks, but have never done anything with them because of my fear of never being able to remove them. Just this past week, I realized that if I stuck them onto 3M Contact paper, I can put them on our closet wall and still be able to remove them if ever we'd like. We have the elephant hide in our Scamp, which I'm afraid to stick things on, otherwise I would definitely use your idea!

emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
We haven't collected any patches, but we do have a big selection of "pins", those pretty enamel things with the clamp backs, which commemorate a membership or event. DH has quite a few from his auto-racing days, and we have some from attending motorcycle rallies. I had thought of collecting these on some kind of plaque (or quilt) for display. I guess if I did the quilt idea, the quilt could be velcroed on per your idea! Thanks!

(and I like the collecting the patches idea, much better than those stickers on windows or bumpers!)
Old 08-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Michigan
Quilt sounds like a great idea as well.

Hmmm "auto-racing days"...

Closed wheel...

OR open wheel?

I have done both.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Bat Dude
I like your idea for the patches! I do something similar with hiking stick medallions and our Parkliner screen door. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1440966198.774088.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	88235

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

Michigan
Nice badges

Nice work on the badges.

I am absolutely not handy with anything wood.

As a kid everything became a book end in wood shop 'cause I could not cut anything or attach wood pieces together.

I can glue a bit of Velcro on the back of a patch as the size is not critical LOL.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Bat Dude
I like your idea for the patches! I do something similar with hiking stick medallions and our Parkliner screen door. Attachment 88235

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid, these are the type of "pins" I was referring to. Unfortunately, I don't have available wood to use, except inside on the cabinets (and I'd rather not put them there). Did you snip off the pins on the back?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Quilt sounds like a great idea as well.

Hmmm "auto-racing days"...

Closed wheel...

OR open wheel?

I have done both.
BatDude, this was in the Formula "Junior" days, and before that it was sportscar racing in Porsche Speedster. I have some photos stashed away somewhere. Where all did you race?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Sid, these are the type of "pins" I was referring to. Unfortunately, I don't have available wood to use, except inside on the cabinets (and I'd rather not put them there). Did you snip off the pins on the back?
Actually these are a bit different. National parks, forests and practically any POI with camping and hiking sell these medallions. Their intended use is for decorating those natural wood hiking sticks. Each one comes with 2 small nails. Here's one link ( hope it works).
Sid
Hike America | Medallions by State
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Actually these are a bit different. National parks, forests and practically any POI with camping and hiking sell these medallions. Their intended use is for decorating those natural wood hiking sticks. Each one comes with 2 small nails. Here's one link ( hope it works).
Sid
Hike America | Medallions by State
Yes, these are different. Thanks for the link, it does work, and we have visited many of these places!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
All great ideas! I love the beautiful embroidered patches but never knew what to do with them. Sewing them onto a jacket or backpack is laborious and they can get ruined with time. They also age in the wash and sunlight.

I collect vintage-look postcards from the parks we go to, laminate them and mount them with velcro. I don't yet have photos of those but I've attached a photo of real vintage wood postcards that I mounted with velcro.

By lining your curtains you will be saving your regular fabric from early decline. The original curtains hold up very well in sun and travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 070.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote