New cushions, laminate on all doors and new curtains!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I know you can use hem tape for curtains as half of the web sites I visited used it. I really don't think the sewing is that much harder or longer than the tape or the glue. You still have to measure, cut iron the hem twice and the sewing was easy after all of that. Backwards, forward all the way, back, forward, snip, and done.

Greg, c'mon. You think I'm gonna use some type of glue when I can use a machine that plugs in with a motor, a foot pedal, has lots of switches and dials, and a sharp needle that goes up and down really fast and could poke right through my finger? I'm going for the machine!

Speaking of guys sewing, my wife found it amusing that I used a tape measure for measuring as opposed to a yardstick or flexible tape measure. She said, "I guess it's what you're used to."

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Greg, c'mon. You think I'm gonna use some type of glue when I can use a machine that plugs in with a motor, a foot pedal, has lots of switches and dials, and a sharp needle that goes up and down really fast and could poke right through my finger? I'm going for the machine!
LOL. Well from the way ur wife responded to you about sewing I had no idea you owned any kind of an expensive sewing machine. As long as the sewing machine is a Binford with 3000+ rpms and you can growl while using it I'm all for it.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Great retro color you chose... Back in the day, my mom used to call it robin's egg blue. Cheerful and peaceful at the same time. Excellent idea with the magnets for the curtain over the stove. Should be much less conspicuous during the day than velcro patches, and easy to use. Congrats, and enjoy.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I have had bad luck with velcro, so I too am going to start gluing magnets to the things. They work great!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
As for Washings, we can't attest one way or another since, we've never washed the drapes in our house or trailer. However, if it did cause any issue it would only take seconds to tack it back.
True! did think about that!. I will have to check for fabric hot glue gun, glue. I am sure it's more pliable than the craft hot glue stick. Thanks, I just may have to give it a try.

Hem tape, oh yea they changed it, since the last time I used it in High School, that stuff wouldn't have sealed a paper bag. But this new stuff............... It's tough! And as I said the jeans I cut off have held up threw a bunch of washings and the hem hasn't even started to come loooooooose.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
We've had this Scamp for around 9 months and just haven't gotten out in it like we had hoped. It had no AC so we weren't going anywhere this summer! We're getting ready to head to South Dakota next week for the rally so I had to get it ready to go! All of the doors and table have had laminate applied with a funky 50's pattern and color. We love it. A neighbor made new cushions for us and I just got done sewing curtains yesterday. I actually have one more to do over the stove but that won't take too long. Thought I'd throw up some pictures for those that are interested. Can't wait to take it out now.
Hey Bryan

Very sharp! I really like the roof vent (skylight) and the wood trimming. Are they all that big in the scamps or is this a mod?

Cheers: Jeff
Jeff Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #27

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
We've had this Scamp for around 9 months and just haven't gotten out in it like we had hoped. It had no AC so we weren't going anywhere this summer! We're getting ready to head to South Dakota next week for the rally so I had to get it ready to go! All of the doors and table have had laminate applied with a funky 50's pattern and color. We love it. A neighbor made new cushions for us and I just got done sewing curtains yesterday. I actually have one more to do over the stove but that won't take too long. Thought I'd throw up some pictures for those that are interested. Can't wait to take it out now.
Brian, what type of material did you use for your curtains? We are missing 2 for our Trillium & I want to get a new set made up for all of our windows.

Thanks,
Paul

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I really like the roof vent (skylight) and the wood trimming. [b]Are they all that big in the scamps or is this a mod?
I'm not Bryan, but I can answer your question, Scamp puts larger roof vents in the rear dinette area of all of their trailers. If you want a vent with a fantastic fan, then you get 2 roof vents.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #29

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi Bryan

Your Trailer looks great !
I was wanting to do the same to my cupboard doors and especially my table.
But I am concerned because I have never put a laminate/arborite top on anything !
What do you cut it with, what kind of saw?
What did you use for edging around the table? Where do they sell it?
Is there a trick to applying the pc of laminate with the contact cement?
The guy at the home depot said I would have to use dowels and he really was not making sense.
Please help, my table is very ugly (brown and scratched )

thanks

-Darren
Darren Pettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #30

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Love the colors-great job-you`ll enjoy it.
We went to S. Dakota in June-10 day trip-beautiful country-spent many nights in WalMart lots-but did stay in campgrounds every so often we could shower and wash clothes. Had a great time and are wanting to go somewhere-anywhere-again soon.
Love our little Compact Jr.-cozy and easy to tow-fixing it up with new curtains, putting in new carpet, new refrigerator-just dressing it up-hope to post pictures if I can figure it out.
Mrs. C
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Half of the neighborhood that was built in the mid 50's where I grew up in Southern California had that Formica pattern called "Boomerang." I believe that it was resurrected years back because I remember seeing it as a newly added pattern some time ago.

Very nice work, Bryan, and thanks for sharing.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Dang, where have I been on this post? So many unanswered questions. How rude!

The fabric is just from Joann Fabric. They are really stiff so I need to wash them once and see if they loosen up a bit.

The laminate was pretty easy to put on. Remove all of the doors and hardware. Label where they go both on the door and the trailer. Measure and cut (I used a circular saw with a fine blade) the pieces about two inches bigger in all directions so you have some wiggle room. Apply contact cement to both surfaces and let it dry for 15 minutes. You can pick them up and handle them and they will not be sticky but once they touch, they're stuck together. The guy talking about the dowels was saying that you lay dowels across the cabinet face and then lay the laminate on top of the dowels. Then you remove one dowel at a time and work your way down the board. I just laid the laminate on top with careful planning. Actually, dropping the cabinet door on top of the laminate would be easier than dropping the laminate on the door. Easier to see what you are doing that way.

I then ran them all through my router with a straight-edge bit with a bushing that ran along the outside edge of the cabinet. Since the edge of the cabinet is curved, there will still be about 1/4 inch of laminate sticking "over" the cabinet. To get rid of this I put a straight-edge router bit in to my router table with it sticking up above the surface the same thickness as the laminate. I adjusted the fence so that it would cut off only the scrap and not the wood edge. This was probably the trickiest part. I just stained the cabinet edges with black stain when I was done. It went right over the brown.

Maybe I need to draw some pictures!

Honestly, without a router, I have no idea how you would do this.

Richard, I would love to see some pictures of your trailer. We went to South Dakota several weeks ago for our first big trip. We are planning on going to Independence, KS this next week as we have been reading the Little House on the Prairie series to our two boys so we're going to go there and look at the recreated cabin from when they were there. It's a good excuse to use the camper. We also might go look at Big Brutus, the largest all-electric shovel while we're down there.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote