New cushions, laminate on all doors and new curtains!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We've had this Scamp for around 9 months and just haven't gotten out in it like we had hoped. It had no AC so we weren't going anywhere this summer! We're getting ready to head to South Dakota next week for the rally so I had to get it ready to go! All of the doors and table have had laminate applied with a funky 50's pattern and color. We love it. A neighbor made new cushions for us and I just got done sewing curtains yesterday. I actually have one more to do over the stove but that won't take too long. Thought I'd throw up some pictures for those that are interested. Can't wait to take it out now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2315.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	23481

Name:	DSCF2317.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	23482

Name:	DSCF2318.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	23483

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
That's cool! It reminds me of my mother-in-law's old kitchen, although her's was done in pink and gray.

CindyL
Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Awesome work Bryan... Love the color.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Awesome work Bryan... Love the color.
I want that look for my Fiber Stream!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
oooh that looks GREAT! However, can I caution you against putting a curtain over the stove? The way the walls curve the curtain hangs straight down... pretty dang close to the stove burners. Maybe frosted contact paper would be a better idea? You can even get it with a "stained glass" look something to compliment your color choices.

Thanks for sharing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
oooh that looks GREAT! However, can I caution you against putting a curtain over the stove? The way the walls curve the curtain hangs straight down... pretty dang close to the stove burners. Maybe frosted contact paper would be a better idea? You can even get it with a "stained glass" look something to compliment your color choices.

Thanks for sharing
Have to agree with everything Donna has said....Love the colors,Great work .......But PLEASE RETHINK the curtain over the stove.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see a curtain over a stove, just one over a sink that appears to be across from the stove. In any case, a curtain over a stove is a bad idea, but I just don't see that in these pictures.

Great job on the updates! I know how satisfying it can be when the work is done and you can appreciate your efforts! Thanks for sharing.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I just got done sewing curtains yesterday. I actually have one more to do over the stove but that won't take too long.
I agree that you should be careful about a curtain over the stove. In fact the Trilliums have frosted glass in their above-stove windows (which it took some time to dawn on me why that was - who needs privacy when cooking, I was thinking to myself )

Frosted contact paper is a great idea

Looking good, Bryan!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. Don't worry, I am not going to start my little egg on fire! The "curtain" over the stove will actually be similar to what I did over the door window since there is no rod there. I made a piece that was the same shape as the window and then sewed some of those Neodynium magnets in to it and epoxied some of those same magnets on the frame of the window to hold it in place. I plan on leaving them off during the day and only using them at night.

Frederick, the laminate was from Lowes. It was fairly time consuming but we are really happy with it. The sewing was actually a lot of fun. My wife told me, "I don't know if you knew this when you married me, but I don't sew." I couldn't bear to do another night with towels hanging over the curtain rods so it was time to learn!

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Bryan,

Was the laminate special order? My Lowes doesn't have anything of the sort. It looks wonderful.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #11

Bonnie,

It was a special order but they did have a little sample piece of it there along with a few other funky colors. It took less than two weeks for it to show up at the store. This is the one I have.

http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/...LargeImage.html

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:
The sewing was actually a lot of fun. My wife told me, "I don't know if you knew this when you married me, but I don't sew." I couldn't bear to do another night with towels hanging over the curtain rods so it was time to learn!
Ok Bryan,
I'm gonna have to teach you how guys sew when confronted with these situations.
I actually learned this trick from an ol veteran seamstress who said the pros use this quite a bit especially for curtains. The Glue Gun. We did all the curtains in our house five years ago after she gave us the tip and you can't tell from adam they're not sewn.
My wife and I did all the curtains for the Scamp in about 10 minutes with a glue gun almost three years ago and they're still going strong.
If you can move your arm in a reasonably straight line, you can learn how to make glue gun curtains. You'll never look sideways at a needle and thread again.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #13

Greg,

Just curious, but do the glued "seams" bend the same as sewn cloth? Like say if you are pushing a curtain aside to open it, and you want it to gather up at the side of the window?

Also, do you glue through both layers of a hem at once? I'm thinking of how you turn the fabric under twice (say, on the bottom hem) so that there is not a raw edge. Does it glue right through, or....?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
oops, my bad, I guess I did miss something
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Your projects look great Bryan! And just think we get to see them in person next week! Keep up the great work! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Nice job, Bryan! It looks so clean and updated although retro. Way to go.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Greg,

Just curious, but do the glued "seams" bend the same as sewn cloth? Like say if you are pushing a curtain aside to open it, and you want it to gather up at the side of the window?

Also, do you glue through both layers of a hem at once? I'm thinking of how you turn the fabric under twice (say, on the bottom hem) so that there is not a raw edge. Does it glue right through, or....?
Raya,
There is no difference between a sewed seam or a glue gun seam either in appearance or operation, except of course the time difference between the two.

You do it exactly as you would if you were sewing it. If you want a bottom hem you glue the foldover first just as you would if you sewed it, then glue your final fold. There are different techniques for different type of fabrics, but there are for sewing as well.

In our trailer we bought blackout panels from LnT which had the same top and bottom seamed channel so we could cut in the middle and the curtain rod channel was already done for both. Then all we had to do was glue up the bottom seams. The glue tacks quickly so the curtains go right up.

Try it, you'll never go back....
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #18

Greg,

Thanks for the additional info.

Raya

PS: For anyone else who's wondering, I Googled "LnT" and it's Linens N Things.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ok Greg, you have peaked my interest......................... ( I can be such a lazy Daisy!) What kinda glue gun glue are you using? Cause the stuff I have used for craft projects gets really hard, I can't imagine it would hold together threw washings. Please tell, is there a special hot glue gun for fabric? Thanks Robin

After thinking about Greg's easy sewing solution, I had a light bulb moment! (their few and far between) but anyway, I wonder if you couldn't use hem tape (iron on kind)? hmmmmm, see I can so be a lazy daisy! . I have used it on a bed skirt I made, and it's held up really well. Plus on a pair of jeans I bought that the minute I washed them they shrunk to high-water so I cut them off for shorts and hemmed them with hem tape and I figured I would get a couple of washings out of them then have to break down and pull out the sewing machine, but they have held up all summer long! Thanks Greg for kicking in my light bulb ideas. But I would still love to know about the type of glue you used.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #20

Robin,

We just use the glue gun from the Depot. The Glue sticks are Arrow Superpower for fabrics/leather/woodworking etc. Mi Esposa, says that unless they've changed the hem tape in the last few years it did not work anywhere near as well as the glue gun.

As for Washings, we can't attest one way or another since, we've never washed the drapes in our house or trailer. However, if it did cause any issue it would only take seconds to tack it back.