New Custom Mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
New Custom Mattress

We just received a new custom mattress for the Casita. We ordered from MattressInsider.com of Colorado. I have not seen them mentioned on this site so thought I'd share the experience.

They offer a variety of mattresses in thicknesses ranging from about 4-1/2" on up. They actually do the manufacturing in South Carolina.

So, how is it you ask? Well, we got stormed-out for our inaugural trip this weekend, but I really do think we are going to love it. Next weekend will tell for sure.

The mattress we chose has 2" of latex foam over 6" of 1.8# foam. It is listed on their web site as 8" Natural Latex RV Mattress with Organic Cotton.

It is 74" x 53" x 8" thick and weighs just about 50 lbs even. The thickness fits just below the furnace inlet vent in the Casita. There are two 15" radius to match the Casita's shape.

We also ordered it with a "hinge" on top to assist in making the bed. I plan to replace the factory dinette table top with a new panel. I will probably hinge the panel to allow lifting the front half when rummaging below. I'm also wondering if I can achieve a "gaucho" couch arrangement.

I called when ordering and the communications were good as they apparently specialize in custom RV mattresses. It was fabricated and delivered in just under two weeks. The cost adder for customization (two radii and the hinge) was only $35; two other vendors I spoke with were much higher. They also applied the website's 5% discount to the order.

It arrived compressed and rolled in a 14x14x58 box which allowed me to wrestle it into the Casita alone. It inflated very quickly and doesn't seem to smell as some plastics and foams might.

Overall, I'd say it was a good experience. Now, I'm looking forward to performing more extended testing...
Attached Thumbnails
Casita Mattress 160927.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Mattress hinge?

I see you say you ordered your mattress with a hinge to aid in making the bed. Can't picture that. How does a hinge help? I have the fifth wheel and making that bed is really challenging. Talk about an odd-shaped mattress!
terrinolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrinolte View Post
I see you say you ordered your mattress with a hinge to aid in making the bed. Can't picture that. How does a hinge help? I have the fifth wheel and making that bed is really challenging. Talk about an odd-shaped mattress!
The theory is that we can lift the back corners easier when putting sheets on. Mind you, it's only a theory so far. We had a high wind warning for this weekend so we cancelled our planned trip and never actually made up the bed last week.

I also persist in thinking the hinge is going to work for a gaucho arrangement, or maybe allow us to fold the whole works back on itself and open up the space a bit.

From what I can tell so far, the hinge is not causing "the chasm of no return". I'll know a lot more after this weekend when we take the trailer out and actually use the mattress.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Hinged mattress

Thanks! I'd like to hear how it comes out.
terrinolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrinolte View Post
Thanks! I'd like to hear how it comes out.
Terri,

Well, the new mattress was a definite success. My wife compared it favorably to the 18-year old expensive pillow top mattress which we both still really like. I felt the same, so it's safe to say we are pleased with the new mattress.

Of course, the mattress won't be to everyone's taste and I can't imagine how to describe it other than to say that it feels like a softly padded top on a reasonably firm base. We don't "wallow" at all like my very limited experience with some memory foam struck me, nor is it so unforgivably firm and thin as the stock seat cushions.

The hinge does help a bit with making the bed with traditional sheets and bedding. (We were formerly using a pair of stitched-together top sheets.) I found I am able to easily fold it towards me and that helps to put the fitted sheet and such on.

Part of the issue here is Mrs. Civilguy would like to have a nicely made bed, which is very difficult to achieve when only 1/3 of one side is accessible. It does seem that we achieved adequate success in that area, though we are not going to be bouncing any dimes off the top here.

While the hinge is not "the valley of no return", I do find it detectable. When I am at "my edge of my half", I can notice some uncompressed mattress poking up a little higher on the other side of the hinge. I don't feel a sense of a chasm when I cross, so I'd say the hinge is not a big issue overall.

Bottom line, I'd say that I would do it again just the same. And, as they say, your mileage will vary.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Bottom line, I'd say that I would do it again just the same. And, as they say, your mileage will vary.
June 2017 update:

After having used this mattress more, I think I would move the "hinge" two inches away from the back, curved side, or perhaps even eliminate the hinge altogether. It does create a soft area. I figure the person sleeping on the straight side could get by with a bit less mattress.

I showed the dear wife the Travasak the other night and it turns out that she likes it. I had thought she had seen it in the past and wasn't keen on it. Maybe not, or maybe our experience has lead to a new judgement.

Anyway, maybe we can soon quit messing about with trying to "make the bed" in the conventional manner.

Yes, that would be just fine with me.