New Deadbolt lock on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
New Deadbolt lock on Scamp

I followed the example of many on this site and installed a Stainless Steel deadbolt lock on our Scamp over the past weekend. It took about 2 hours and I am pleased with the result. I used a 1 ½ inch hole saw to drill thru the door and that proved much easier than expected. The "strike plate" ended up being an aluminum angle modified a bit with saw, sander and drills. The brass strap to strengthen the walnut mounting was chosen from my scrap pile for size and easy sawing. I may paint it silver to match the Scamp door hardware better. I had considered cutting a rectangular hole in the rat fur and gluing the walnut block to the underlying fiberglass, but in the end just added a couple of screws and called it done.

No fgrv door is crowbar proof, I just wanted to add another and rarer key to the entry. And the DW feels much more secure, no small consideration in itself. Scamp's "small pin in the lock" method, while secure in my opinion, didn't assure her. Also, while never a problem for me, the "door opening while towing" phenonana would be remedied as well

I still have not solved the vulnerability of the door hinges. That will take many more hours of armchair cogitation.

Thanks to all who made this journey before me and shared their ideas on this site.

Now its off for 10 days of boon docking on the South shore of Lake Superior to enjoy hiking, Fall color and crashing surf.

Cheers, and Happy Trails, john
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender 3.jpg   FullSizeRender 2.jpg  

FullSizeRender.jpg   FullSizeRender 4.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Outstanding work, John!

Did you do anything to seal the interior core of the door where you cut the hole? I've heard that's a vulnerability and possible cause of waterlogged, warped doors on older Scamps (and applies equally to the original factory hole, too).

You ought to market this!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sorry guys....while that it a VERY neat installation, I have to ask, IF you're going to go to that much trouble, why not just go with this type of installation and be done? Works MUCHHHHH better than the old bread truck-looking handle. Plus, you dont have to use a "pin" plus the same key locks/unlocks the latch AND deadbolt. Plus, it just looks much more professional. Dunno why Scamp will NOT offer this as an option! And...finally...there's not an extra hole in the door.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57643963773193
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Remind me to put a dead bolt lock on my tent.
Hinges -- two nuts and the doors is off.
Door -- a quick upward yank on the bottom and the door breaks in half.

In my opinion putting dead bolt on Scamp door is telling everybody there's something valuable inside. Without it its just another Scamp.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
John;
It was rumored that Scamp was going to equip all Scamp Trailers with that same type of deadbolt lock a few years ago, but it never came to fruition. Great job as usual!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

WHY would Scamp do that? When you could put a standard RV lock on it? Typical Scamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
John;
It was rumored that Scamp was going to equip all Scamp Trailers with that same type of deadbolt lock a few years ago, but it never came to fruition. Great job as usual!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Do you lock your door when you exit the Scamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Do you lock your door when you exit the Scamp?
Not always. But then I'm not paranoid.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry guys....while that it a VERY neat installation, I have to ask, IF you're going to go to that much trouble, why not just go with this type of installation and be done? Works MUCHHHHH better than the old bread truck-looking handle. Plus, you dont have to use a "pin" plus the same key locks/unlocks the latch AND deadbolt. Plus, it just looks much more professional. Dunno why Scamp will NOT offer this as an option! And...finally...there's not an extra hole in the door.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57643963773193
Darrel,

I'm not sure why I didn't go this route. I guess I didn't want to give up Scamp's retro handle, though I have changed out other Scamp choices throughout the trailer. So I really can't answer your question. Your solution is certainly a good one.

John
Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Outstanding work, John!

Did you do anything to seal the interior core of the door where you cut the hole?
Jon,

I did bed the outside portion of the deadbolt in a high-quality elastomeric sealant. That should prevent most leaks, though the keyhole remains open.

John
Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Your work is top-quality. I just personally didnt like others walking around with the ability to lock/unlock my Scamp at will. (Of course your deadbolt will prevent that anyway)

Oh...btw! When you gonna design and make us a "Scamp" toy?? I've looked at your sight over the years.....great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Darrel,

I'm not sure why I didn't go this route. I guess I didn't want to give up Scamp's retro handle, though I have changed out other Scamp choices throughout the trailer. So I really can't answer your question. Your solution is certainly a good one.

John
Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

Quote:

In my opinion putting dead bolt on Scamp door is telling everybody there's something valuable inside. Without it its just another Scamp.
All valid points Byron. Can't refute them.

Cheers, john
Old 09-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:

Oh...btw! When you gonna design and make us a "Scamp" toy?? I've looked at your sight over the years.....great work!
Not likely to happen Darral. A toy Scamp would have limited appeal, just like real Scamps. And I know of no wood that looks like white fiberglass and I'm too obstinate to paint my toys. Also the folks on FGRV aren't really my target demographic. Me either for that matter. We are mostly a bunch of frugal curmudgeons and not likely to buy spendy toys. And what kinda tow vehicle would I pair it with? And the Casita, Boler, Oliver, etc. owners would want customized versions too. That could get really complicated.

If I were into toy RVs I might go for the Prevost owners. Not as cool, but those folks certainly have discretionary income.

All the above was an attempt at humor. No insults toward anyone.

John
Old 09-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #14

Name: AyoLane
Florida
I have been thinking about this same idea. Main reason was sleeping at night there is no way to lock the door on the inside. Today I now have another reason. driving a bumpy road the locked door somehow opened. I didn't noticed it till after 30 mins on a highway and 45 mins eating at the oldest diner in FL. saw the door open just before I got on the road again. Ill forever check the door now but would also like the extra lock for both reasons. I've been full timing it for 3 months now.
AyoLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyoLane View Post
I have been thinking about this same idea. Main reason was sleeping at night there is no way to lock the door on the inside. Today I now have another reason. driving a bumpy road the locked door somehow opened. I didn't noticed it till after 30 mins on a highway and 45 mins eating at the oldest diner in FL. saw the door open just before I got on the road again. Ill forever check the door now but would also like the extra lock for both reasons. I've been full timing it for 3 months now.

Go to the Scamp parts store and buy a new latching mechanism, replace the latch. $16.00 gets a new latch and six screws replaces it. I had the same problem and it's all fixed now.

After spending 50+ years camping in a tent the last thing I worry about is locking the door while I'm sleeping.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=pd_bia_yo_t_2 but have not installed it yet. I figure I will need to shim it out on the inside with a 1/4" piece of something (probably Oak or Maple, but a piece of plastic would be nice). The advantage to this one is the lock is flush on the outside.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:49 AM   #17

Name: Danny
Texas
I think putting a heave duty lock on a Scamp would be like locking the doors on a Convertible. You will just end up with a cut top!
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am not putting this lock on because it is heavy duty, I just want the same lock to be able to be locked and unlocked from the inside and the outside. I want to be able to get up and go outside and lock the door with my daughter still asleep inside. She can get out simply by turning the thumb latch. I have also had the door come open underway, albeit from me not getting it closed well enough, but this lock will solve that issue also. And if I had a convertible, I would probably lock the doors on it too.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #19

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:

After spending 50+ years camping in a tent the last thing I worry about is locking the door while I'm sleeping.
We actually sleep with the screen door open for the breeze and air flow....Aside from being on the road, I don't think we've locked our Scamp yet! But then, I also never lock the car I drive because the auto key lock doesn't work and I'm too lazy to actually unlock the doors using the key. I just tell the kids not to leave anything in my car they are afraid might get stolen!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #20

Name: AyoLane
Florida
In Florida the AC is used more than the screens. Locking from the inside is just an extra check.
AyoLane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp