New Door seal worth getting? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
New Door seal worth getting?

I will be taking my Scamp 13 to Backus next month to get a Fantastic Fan installed. I planned on getting the new door seal put on as well.

Recently reading the posts about the door popping open after folks replaced the door seal when they had no problems before replacing it has me wondering about whether this would be a good idea. Also the posts showing light penetration around the door with the new seals. My door seems to seal well, I've noticed no leaks, see no daylight through the door seal, and the door remains shut during travel. I will say, I have limited travel to date with the trailer, though.

I'm generally of the mindset that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". However the trailer is over 17 years old, and I can feel that the original foam seal is dry and I worry it may start crumbling soon. I thought, since I had the trailer at the factory, it would be a good time to update the seal.

My question, how prevalent are the problems folks seem o be having with the new seals? Do folks regret replacing adequately functioning seals with the new ones?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
If properly done, the new seal is likely the best improvement Scamp has made in decades.
I have worked with several different seals over the years and find this new one to be the best by far.
The only problem is that it is more substantial than the open cell original gasket and may require a little time for break-in, or in some cases a shim on the latch or hinges.
Of the several which I have installed or helped install, a couple have been a little difficult to compress on the hinge side which could mean more effort to close and latch during break-in.
I had such a low opinion of the original gasket(2004)that I immediately replaced it with an "Omega" shaped seal which worked well, we then switched to a "D" shape which was more aesthetically appealing. This gasket was later offered aftermarket by Scamp for a few years and then they had the new gasket made and began installing it as OEM last year.
The fit of the door will affect the initial seal, but the new seal has a wing which flexes to close small gaps.
As a caveat, I must say that I replaced my latch at the same time as I replaced my first gasket with a much improved RV latch.

Of course...to paraphrase a very famous lie ,
"If you like your seal you can keep your seal"

Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If properly done, the new seal is likely the best improvement Scamp has made in decades.

I would agree wholeheartedly. While I no longer own my Scamp, the upgraded door seal was a HUGE improvement over the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I would also recommend to have the new style seal installed. Yes, it may be harder to close the door initially. What Floyd is talking about is the fact that all elastomers (foam rubber or other plastics) will take a "set" under high pressure and then not push back as much. That way the new seal will conform to the shape. The lip on the new style will help seal wider gap wherever needed. People who have it like it so far. I missed it by just one year when I got my replacement from Scamp on my factory visit.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My Scamp is 11 months old and I have the new style seal.
It was hard to close the door for about a month.
Its not hard to close now.
The seal still looks like new.
The seal does not seal against wind driven rain.
The seal has areas where daylight can been seem with the door shut.
Attached Thumbnails
DoorSeal_11Months_HandleSide.jpg   DoorSeal_11Months_HingeSide.jpg  

DoorSeal_11Months_Top.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Actually, I had a couple of areas where daylight could be seen. I carefully lifted the seal and put shims of high density foam behind it the in those locations. The result was no visible light and I never had another drop of water infiltrate around the door when traveling in heavy rain. The original foam seal leaked like a sieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Went through the process of removing the old seal and replacing it - a few times. That was until I got the new seal type. Way better. Stayed in place as it should!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote