New doors but not quite done... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
In my quest to lighten the load I've been replacing doors. I now have better looking doors to boot!

What I did on these upper cabinet doors, where you don't have to worry about wracking too much, I used a light pine frame with bamboo placemat inserts. On the bigger closet door and the portapotty door, I put in 1/8th inch ply/veneer. I still have to seal them. I'll probably stay with a clear coat because I like the lighter color in the small space.

Replacing the two upper cabinet, closet and potty doors I have taken off 11 ugly pounds! That's a lot of chocolate (or beer, or...)!

Now the lower kitchen doors and storage bench covers...

paula

Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinetdoor.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	9481
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
That's a really clever idea that of course we'll steal. And it looks great, too.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #3

The placemats are simply hot-glued in. Would have liked something like that for the bigger doors but was afraid of feet going through or simply torque on the biggest.

paula
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
The placemats are simply hot-glued in. Would have liked something like that for the bigger doors but was afraid of feet going through or simply torque on the biggest.
paula
Those are great. Are they sturdy? I'm worried that they might not hold up for the long haul.
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Those are great. Are they sturdy? I'm worried that they might not hold up for the long haul.
These are only on the smallest doors. Although they haven't really been road tested much, I would think they should be fine. But in the event of damage they were only dollar placemats (actually one placemat cut for both doors) from Wally World. They can easily be changed out for the newest fall fashions!

I also was considering the heavier bamboo shades or twigs. I may wind up putting in twigs before next summer. I really like that look, but I was in a hurry with no time to spare.

paula
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Paula,

Is that a regular photo type frame? Looks very good, btw. I like the woven look too.

Bonnie
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Paula,
Is that a regular photo type frame? Looks very good, btw. I like the woven look too.
Bonnie
No, but it may be possible, similar idea with the lip or inset in the inner edge. Why not?

My Dad has a nice woodshop and whipped these frames up for me. Since, even at 46, I'm still his baby and he doesn't like me touching the big power tools. But, when he's not around, look out. He did let me use his hot glue gun and his drill. I guess he figured I couldn't cut an arm off with those or get sucked into the planer.

Thanks.
Paula