New egg hatch.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Jim, am I correct that you need to remember to open the hatch outside when you want to run the AC? I'd be afraid of forgetting!

The bugs could have been kept out with some screen material in the grill, but I guess the cold air would be a little tougher to stop. My Burro was the same way, and I'm sure it made the thing harder to heat than it would have been otherwise.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Jim, am I correct that you need to remember to open the hatch outside when you want to run the AC? I'd be afraid of forgetting!

The bugs could have been kept out with some screen material in the grill, but I guess the cold air would be a little tougher to stop. My Burro was the same way, and I'm sure it made the thing harder to heat than it would have been otherwise.
Yes, it needs to remain open while using the a/c. I think you will remember when the a/c does not cool!! I know a couple of persons who ran their a/c with the outside cover on, a mistake they will not repeat.
I was mainly interested in making the trailer warmer in the winter, having a 14X16 open hole lets a lot of cold in. All I need to do now is replace the intake vent underneath with a closing damper and I'll be ready.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
AC and Winter

With the thru floor solution it doesn't seem there is much chance of cold air intrusion.

First the air conditioner except the cooling output vent is totally enclosed in the bottom of the cabinet, really the AC is in its own little cabinet.

Second, the cooling output vents of the AC unit is internally isolated from the exhaust side of the AC unit, basically keeping cold air on the exhaust side of the AC unit. This reduces outside air intrusion into the trailer.

Third it is very easy to put a piece of foam over the exhaust and inlet air vents under the trailer for the winter, totally eliminating air intrusion.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
With the thru floor solution it doesn't seem there is much chance of cold air intrusion.

First the air conditioner except the cooling output vent is totally enclosed in the bottom of the cabinet, really the AC is in its own little cabinet.

Second, the cooling output vents of the AC unit is internally isolated from the exhaust side of the AC unit, basically keeping cold air on the exhaust side of the AC unit. This reduces outside air intrusion into the trailer.

Third it is very easy to put a piece of foam over the exhaust and inlet air vents under the trailer for the winter, totally eliminating air intrusion.

Norm
Norm, the a/c in the Egg Camper is not totally enclosed. The Exhaust is probably 85% contained and exits out the vent but on the intake there are 4 holes in the bottom of the floor under the exhaust tunnel to allow fresh air in. This part of the cabinet is completely open to the rest of the trailer thru closets and just leakage. I like the finished look of the exhaust so now I just need to stop the cold air infiltration with a simple floor register.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Norm, the a/c in the Egg Camper is not totally enclosed. The Exhaust is probably 85% contained and exits out the vent but on the intake there are 4 holes in the bottom of the floor under the exhaust tunnel to allow fresh air in. This part of the cabinet is completely open to the rest of the trailer thru closets and just leakage. I like the finished look of the exhaust so now I just need to stop the cold air infiltration with a simple floor register.
I do understand your situation. What you're doing makes total sense and will look great as well.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
It should not be that hard to close off the area so there is no leakage into the camper. I've used some structural foam that's used to build showers. It's easy to cut and shape than wood plus it's very lite and should work well. That alone with calk around the A/C unit and there should be no leaks.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Timon - This is a 2011 thread.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
True but I thought it might be helpful for anyone else doing the samething.