New Entry Door Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
New Entry Door Window

Just installed my new trailer entry door window from LHC (Little House Custom, aka Larry & Debbie Gamble). It is a "drop-in" replacement for the factory installed window. Unlike the original window (with a cheap plastic frame,) this one is built like a real trailer window (with an aluminum frame.)
The only downside is that it doesn't come with a screen...Really Attwood, no screen for a $150 window? I contacted Attwood's customer service dept., via email, regarding the lack of a screen and whether I could get one for it. I received a rather snooty email reply from the third hand-off person in customer service, telling me that if I wanted a screen I should have ordered a custom window. Well, so much for customer service these days.
But, since I don't have the screen door any more, (another story,) which I had removed a long time ago, I needed a way to keep the bugs out with the window open. My solution was to make a snap-on screen cover which is removable, but can be left on too. I made it from some leather and a piece of mesh screening taken from one of those magnetic cheapo entry screens that come apart when you walk through them and re-attract to each other via magnets on the edges. My original plan was to mount this two piece screen kit over the inside of the door opening, but it didn't lend itself well to being configured to the opening, so I cannibalized a chunk of it for my project.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001 (2).JPG   IMG_0002 (2).JPG  

IMG_0004 (2).JPG   IMG_0005 (2).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Nice work Greg! I honestly don't know how some of these people accomplish anything. Some customers are impossible to please, but it seems a lot of "customer-service" people act like any inquiry is harassment. Glad you have the skill and creativity to make things from stuff you already have.

Is there a groove in the frame for a screen, or would it be a totally different frame profile if you ordered it with one?
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Kevin,
That's the ironic part. It has the exact same channel for a screen that all the other windows have, which is why I can't understand their logic, (or lack thereof,) for not including a lousy $5 screen on a $150 window. They give you screens on every other openable trailer/rv window I've ever seen, so why not this one. Not everyone who has a door with a window also have screen doors behind them. I just think it's short-sighted on their part. They could at least offer it as an option, but they pooh-poohed me off, which tells me they just don't care much about customer service. I even offered to pay for one and they still shined me on.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That looks like a real smart solution, Greg, but if you ever decide you'd rather have a rigid "half-screen" for that opening pane:

It's pretty easy to "build-yer-own" screen...I've done it a few times using one-dollar throwaways from the local used building supply yard. The problem in this case is of course the radius corners, but as you may well guess Miss Do-It-On-The-Cheap here has that one figured out, too.

Here's a link to a wide variety of such corners, including some by the fabled "Hehr", supplier of most RV windows even today.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Thanks Francesca,
I did in fact visit that site, (and countless others,) in my desperate search for components to build my own. I did see the radius screen corners and thought that would be just the ticket, but I couldn't figure out which one would be the right size and have the proper radius to fit. They don't really provide a lot of info other than show the shapes the items that they picture. If somebody knows the specific model of those corners which fits these EDWIN (Atwood) windows, that would be the ticket.
Greg
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

Registry
Hmmm...

I admit to being a complete moron when it comes to engineering-type things, but...isn't a radius forty-five degree angle still forty five degrees, except with a curve in the middle? Are some "fatter" than others or something?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Yes, but the arc of the radius is what I can't find info on. They could be 2", 4" 6", etc, or any nominal dimension in between, all of which would affect whether it would nest into the window channel. Yes, they all will give you a 90 degree angle, but the tightness of the radius is what I need to determine before I can buy them. I don't know what sizes they offer because they don't provide enough info..
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Probably either 2.5" or 3" radius. You can print their template and check, PDF here. They do say it's for the rough opening, since you just installed it you should be able to guesstimate it. Not that there's anything wrong with your solution, but my curiosity would be fired up about now and I'd at least find out what the deal is with the elusive screen. What model # is on the window? Is it branded Atwood?

Just quickly browsing through their site, didn't see mention of screens anywhere in the "instant price" process. Wonder if the owners have any idea that they're shooting themselves in the foot both with a terrible website and surly employees, or if they care. I realize all businesses are going to have problems, it's how they deal with the problem that gets my repeat business and word-of-mouth advertising.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Registry
Thanks for the explanation on the arc of the radius, Greg- I'm up to speed now.

My curiosity's certainly up...if you're so inclined, please do post the actual radius of the window you're trying to match.

Francesca
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
The rough opening in the door takes a 3" radius, which is what these Atwood EDWIN replacement windows have. But the Hehr website, (for all the DYI components,) doesn't give any dimensional data on their products, just a part number and a price, so I don't know at this time which specific part number corner sections would meet my needs. They all have a 90 degree radius, but no size info.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Great idea Greg! Looks very neat. Surprised Attwood doesn't offer a screen. My old Scamp has a screen on its door window. But funny I seem to recall reading here that Scamp doesnt even offer an opening door window any more.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The rough opening in the door takes a 3" radius, which is what these Atwood EDWIN replacement windows have. But the Hehr website, (for all the DYI components,) doesn't give any dimensional data on their products, just a part number and a price, so I don't know at this time which specific part number corner sections would meet my needs. They all have a 90 degree radius, but no size info.
Does it automatically follow that the radius of the screen "track" would be the same as the rough cut, or might it measure different?

FYI:

A few of the radius corners at the link I posted earlier do give radius of the part- I think the "biggest" is 2.5, though....

Francesca
Old 05-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #13

Washington
Registry
I believe that the radius of the screen itself would have to be smaller than the radius of the rough opening for the window itself. It stands to reason that, since the windows are mounted inside the frame, that they must be smaller in dimension than the outside edge of the frame.
Holding the circle template, the outside of the window is 3" radius. When I printed and held up the template to the channel that the screen would have to nest into, it is significantly smaller than even the 2.5" radius of the template.

I went out and traced the screen channel out on a piece of paper, and then took a compass and checked the radius of the screen track, which measures out to a 1 1/2" radius.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #14

Registry
Dang! The closest thing to that (listed) is 1.812, more than a quarter inch off.

To borrow from...somebody : Lemme give ya a hypothetical:

The radius-corner screen on my Trillium only covers the opening half of the window, so only has two radius corners- the top is of course just square.

If this is similar to the arrangement contemplated for the Atwood window, do you think it would be possible to monkey with the dimensions of the screen so as to make that 1/4 inch difference at the two low corners insignificant? Might it just disappear into the track?

Francesca
Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
This EDWIN window frame has a channel for a screen to cover the openable slider section, similar to just about all the other rv slider window configurations. I would need two 1 1/2" radiused corners for the bottom and two square corners for the top part. But I would also need to source the rubber "swipe" strip that would seal the upper part of the screen, (if I did make one,) to the inside surface of the slider pane to seal that area from bug intrusion. It's hard to find any dimensional information on these components which makes it hard to figure out exactly what I'd need to fabricate a Frankenscreen for it. I just thought the snap-on cover alleviated a lot of the headaches, and works great.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #16

Registry
One of the reasons I'm interested in this problem is that I've seen it come up relatively often elsewhere. That window's a popular mod on lots of trailer types, and many folks would like to have a screen for it even with interior screen doors. (It seems that some are getting unwelcome "guests" between the door and the inside screen).

I'm surprised that some smart cookie hasn't figured out how to build this and sell it online. Couldn't cost more than a few dollars in parts, easy to build, light/small to ship...once the radius problem is overcome it could be fat city!

Francesca
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #17

Washington
Registry
SCREEN FOR EDWIN WINDOW‏

I've been on vacation for several days, but I received this email from Atwood Mobile Products, regarding the issue of obtaining a window screen for their EDWIN replacement door windows. I've included the particulars for those who have done, or may wish to do, this conversion and would like to purchase a screen for it. I know that some people have expressed an interest in any info on screens, so here it is:

Sir,
I can make a special screen for the Edwin window. It will be $25.00 plus UPS shipping. Send me your address, phone number and credit card (visa or master card) with expiration date or call me to order.

Sue Phillips
Atwood Mobile Products
Replacement window line
574-266-4829
Cell # 260-350-2414
fax 574-262-9469
e-mail s.phillips@atwoodmobile.com
Normal Business Hours 5:00-2:30
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

Registry
Thanks, Greg!

That's going to be mighty useful for others with the same problem. Hope the search engine will lead them here...

Francesca