New floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Just finished installing the new floor in the Trillium 5500 (It really needs a name!). I used the Trafficmaster Allure flexible planks from Home Depot in the bamboo pattern -- got a real deal on them as they were blowing out some of the patterns for 1/2 price. I am really happy with it. It went in in about 3 hours all told, and that included cutting out all the fiddly edges. I ripped out the piece of carpet that was glued under the back dinette, but for everything else, went over the existing floor. Because the planks adhere to each other, it essentially forms one continuous piece that floats over the existing.

Will put on the moldings around the edges tomorrow!

Click image for larger version

Name:	001_1.JPG
Views:	915
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	14561
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I want to put that in my trailer... its one of my goals for the summer although so far I've been too lazy.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I actually did the whole downstairs of my house in this stuff and it was easy, fast, and looks wonderful. I got it for about $35 a box. I am considering doing the Scamps too as it was almost a pleasure to work with and what an improvement!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I actually did the whole downstairs of my house in this stuff and it was easy, fast, and looks wonderful. I got it for about $35 a box. I am considering doing the Scamps too as it was almost a pleasure to work with and what an improvement!
I think I'm going to do the hallway in my house if I like it in the trailer but I can't figure out how to handle the coving in the kitchen with it. I suppose if I really like it I could take the coving out.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Looks really good! Is it recomeded to put in a flexible flooring? I was thinking of laying some pergo like wood laminiate in my scamp, but I am unsure how much the scamp flex's during transit, and not sure if the laminate can handle flex. My brother put some in his argosy airstream, but he does not tow it at all.

I also noticed the floor in my scamp is not perfectl level, kind of rises near the rear section by the closet.
Scott Corsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Looks really good! Is it recomeded to put in a flexible flooring?
I chose the flexible flooring because the floor is not level, and would have required a total redo of the subfloor to get it in shape for laminate. Think there are others who have used the laminate in both 13' and 17' trailers, and are happy with the result, but i was looking for something really easy to install. When i saw it up close in the store, I was also really impressed with the look -- a definite step above the old peel and stick tiles.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft and 1980 Trillium 5500
Great job on the flooring Janice - have been reading a few user reviews on this stuff in various forums on the web and almost all are very positive. I do have one concern, one that you fortunately don't have to worry too much about in Victoria, that is how well Allure may stand up to sub-zero temps - it is designed for interior use after all. I don't intend to be camping when there is snow on the ground, but I would hate to check the trailer after a cold winter and find the floor cracked into pieces when the temp got down to -25 or lower... Has anyone used this in their home in a place (porch, etc) that gets COLD??

I only question this as I had considered putting in vinyl tiling in our 1300 at one time until I found the peel & stick glue tends to stop working in cold temps - and the tiles may fracture!
Garth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have used it in a cold space here in Winnipeg. because it floats, it works just fine. wonderful stuff to work with too. also used it in a bathroom... even safe in a wet environments. Home depot even gave me a small chunk of a couple different colors so I could get a better idea of what it would look like in my egg.
Attached Thumbnails
newfloor.jpg  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft and 1980 Trillium 5500
Quote:
I have used it in a cold space here in Winnipeg. because it floats, it works just fine. wonderful stuff to work with too. also used it in a bathroom... even safe in a wet environments. Home depot even gave me a small chunk of a couple different colors so I could get a better idea of what it would look like in my egg.
Thanks for the info Scott, I think it's fair to say Winnipeg gets as cold as here.. have to go to Home Depot this am for other supplies, I'm going to take a good look at this product. I have also been looking at Fiberfloor (similar to what Doug Roach used in his) but because it is a single(or at least 2 or 3) piece, it might be more difficult to work with (have to waste more also to cut around counters and other obstructions). The Allure would seem to be much more user-friendly (and less wasteful/costly) in the closer confines of an egg...
Garth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
I bought 1 box of this stuff while I was in fargo last month. It was about $10 cheaper a box than here in Winnipeg. I will be installing it this weekend. I'm hoping that 1 box is all I need for a Surfside TM-14 with the side kitchen. It would suck to have to buy another box just for a few planks.

I will post pics when I'm done.

Cheers
Darren H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
one box worked on my TM-14 front kitchen. just remember to use the wax separator sheets as slip sheets when lining up the planks. once this stuff sticks together... it's REALLY stuck! also available in 12"x12" tiles if that's your preference. cuts easily with an utility knife .... just score and snap.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
The ALLURE flooring is great! We did the Trillium last fall and it survived the trip out to Arizona and the cold(sometimes freezing) nights and hot days perfectly. Cleanup is a breeze- a swiffer wet wipe does the whole floor.
The HD guy suggested a perimeter of 3M patio double face tape and the rest laid in just fine. A seal of almond silicone finished off the job and a rubber stair tread glued in the step at the two levels on the Road Toad.
I'd echo previous comments...lay the planks with care as the glue tabs REALLY hold!
Took two boxes for the trailer with one plank left over.
It will be our next kitchen floor in the house!
Happy "planking"
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
I did my mom's house with the allure flooring and it was great! Had already done the boler with laminate (and love it also) but had I known about the allure a year ago...would have probably gone that route instead.

Robin
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Very nice!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Hi Janice,
I used the Honey Oak pattern in the same stuff in my Dolphin. As soon as I finish the cabinets, I will post some pics. Sure is easy to work with isn't it?
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Janice,
I used the Honey Oak pattern in the same stuff in my Dolphin. As soon as I finish the cabinets, I will post some pics. Sure is easy to work with isn't it?
I was impressed enough that i'm going to now be putting in in the main bathroom, not just our downstairs bath/laundry! Am intersted in some pics of your floor, as the honey oak was one of the colours im considering for the main bath.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi,

I am picking some Allure to do my Trillium floor. I notice most people run the laminate from side to side rather than from front to back. Any particular reason you have done this? Generally the rule is to either a.) Run it parallel with the longest part of the room or b.) Run it in the direction of the light flooding the room.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi Booker...I paneled our 13' Trill with the strips going lengthwise. The cut off end of the second strip,first row starts off the next row and the staggered effect adds the illusion of length in the short space.
Have fun!
Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #19

Thanks Alistar,

I ended up running it side to side. No particular reason, just had to start somewhere. Allure is FAR easier to install then regular laminate - I just did a 700sq ft space this week with regular laminate so I would know =). I have spent less then 2 hours on it and I have only 1 angled corner where the step occurs and a few thin bits to do. I am a bit concerned about the weight - its probably 2x or 3x the weight of the carpet I am replacing.

Looks like 1 box will do it. On install make sure you have a sharp utility knife. I used a framing square as a straight edge so I could run the length of the piece for square. I bought some double side carpet tape but haven't used it as the fit is pretty tight on the lower floor. I will be using it on the upper floor.

The only tricky part has been the round out on the cabinet between fridge and furnace and the angles for the seats - it is not a 45% angle. Once again I recommend the old trick of making the piece out of card first then tracing it onto the final piece.

I will post some pics when done.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #20

Never realized how hard it is to take good pictures of a trailer floor. Don't mind the dirty floor, friend is staying in it at the moment =). I am using Almond caulking at the edges to transition with the round corners of the Trillium. At the back of the big floor picture you can see the new 3 stage WFCO 8725 Convertor I had installed this week - w00t!

Click image for larger version

Name:	small00003.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	14763
Attached Thumbnails
small00004.jpg   small00005.jpg