New floor and way more - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #21

Name: Pete
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SD
Utah
That's all pretty major surgery. Did you consider using pressure-treated plywood so it wouldn't ever dry-rot out again?
UtahPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #22

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Brilliant work, great pictures!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #23

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp Fifth Wheel
South Carolina
I am agog!
After all of this, a trip to Backus to aid Kent in a redesign is in order?
DixieViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Thanks so much. I'm really glad you found a good home for your old Scamp. I hope you're enjoying that Escape 5.0 this season. I can't wait to visit you all again for a personal tour!
We are indeed enjoying the Escape. Tows like a dream and feels really spacious. Just finished wiring up the rear view camera that we used to have in the Scamp. The counter space is about equivalent but separated from the cooking area which takes some adjustment. And the double pedestal table doesn't leave much room for legs and feet underneath but other than those two things, it is all good! Dave is loving the extra height...he can even stand up under the a/c and not bump his head!

Let us know when you are headed this way and we'll prepare the culdesac for you!! :-)
Fran & Dave
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
That's all pretty major surgery. Did you consider using pressure-treated plywood so it wouldn't ever dry-rot out again?
Yes I did consider treated plywood. In my experience however treated woods (usually lumber but same idea I figure) usually come damp to wet. They have to dry out before anything else can soak in like paint for example. The edge of the floor needs to be fiberglassed to the shell. I was skeptical how well resin would bond to new treated plywood. That's another reason I choose real plywood over OSB. I figured clean thirty surfaces might better attach to thick fiberglass resin. OSB with thin chips and higher glue content (besides being needlessly heavier for camper floor use) affords shallower surface penetration of fiberglass resin. I may be wrong but that was my thinking for material choice on this project.
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
Brilliant work, great pictures!
Thanks! Sometimes it's not easy to get good pix in confined places. A macro lens might help. Sometimes I get lucky. I'll take it.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieViking View Post
I am agog!
After all of this, a trip to Backus to aid Kent in a redesign is in order?
Thanks! I have offered design feedback to Backus in the past based on documented problems and member solutions. Such ideas didn't usually go over aw well as I hoped. I blame my diplomacy skills and gave up at some point.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you feel the ply is about the same weight as the OSB?

And no, I dont think ANYONE will have any luck changing Scamp....unless it's a liability issue. That's unfortunate.

Darral
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I used treated, but I let it dry for a month before installing, and I also put POR-15 on the frame, and an adhesive on the frame to isolate the wood from the frame. Treated wood will rust metal.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral View Post
Do you feel the ply is about the same weight as the OSB?

And no, I dont think ANYONE will have any luck changing Scamp....unless it's a liability issue. That's unfortunate.

Darral
OSB feels heavier. Higher glue content?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I used treated, but I let it dry for a month before installing, and I also put POR-15 on the frame, and an adhesive on the frame to isolate the wood from the frame. Treated wood will rust metal.
Very good points!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #32

Progress

I'm attaching a few progress pix. The first pic shows the new floor being fiberglassed to the shell around the edge. The second one shows the beefed up frame behind the axle (dinette area). The last pic shows a closer view of the prop arm (cantilever support behind wheel well).
Attached Thumbnails
Glassing in the new floor.jpg   Reinforced frame - dinette area.jpg  

Frame reinforcement - cantilever prop.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #33

Resuming progress

I got the Scamp put back together just enough for a family campout August 16-18th at Burt Lake State Park in Indian River, MI. At that time the dinette area was completed but not the main isle. Then a funny thing happened in norther lower-peninsula Michigan. Summer finally arrived! I ended up staying in Mackinaw City almost two weeks. The weather was gorgeous! Then I returned downstate to the Flint area for more family plans on Labor Day. Today I resumed the floor project but finishing the vinyl flooring.

The new floor theme just feels right. It visually binds together all the black trim elements against the white fiberglass cabinets. Like it was always meant to be this way. Better 22 years after birth than never right? LOL

With leftover scraps I'm not planning to vinyl cover the table top but I want to try a door panel insert and see how that looks. Maybe compare one lined up horizontal and vertical with one turned 45 degrees. It's time to defrost the freezer anyway so that looks like tomorrow's chore.
Attached Thumbnails
New floor.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #34

Registry
That looks GREAT!! You're gonna need new cushion covers now....maybe RED!
I suggest you do either an all black or all white door panel for the fridge...using the squares may make it hard to tell which side is up!!
Great job!
Fran
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
That looks GREAT!! You're gonna need new cushion covers now....maybe RED!
I suggest you do either an all black or all white door panel for the fridge...using the squares may make it hard to tell which side is up!!
Great job!
Fran
Thanks!!

The door panel was black before. I didn't like that. Too dark. I'm actually on the fence about all white or the chessboard pattern. Open for opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Door white.jpg   Door chessboard.jpg  

Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #36

Registry
The all white makes things look more open ....but....the black & white is kind of cool. I suppose you could switch them out when you get tired of one or the other. But those cushion covers have got to go...any solid color would work. Maybe there's another Scamper out there who sews and would barter new covers for work on their trailer......
Old 09-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #37

Quote:
The all white makes things look more open ....but....the black & white is kind of cool. I suppose you could switch them out when you get tired of one or the other. But those cushion covers have got to go...any solid color would work. Maybe there's another Scamper out there who sews and would barter new covers for work on their trailer......
Gee thanks Fran. Those plaid covers I custom ordered for the wraparound dinette mod in 2007 now clash. Suddenly I hate them. LOL
Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #38

Registry
You could just leave the lights off.....
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #39

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Or you could hang pictures of "Tool Man Taylor's" buddy every where
and hang plaid shirts in the closets.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #40

Quote:
You could just leave the lights off.....
Now that's a simple solution.