new floor plan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
Name: Rox
Trailer: 13' Ventura + Honda Element
British Columbia
Originally Posted by brendaross View Post
My comment is a little different. Had a camper where the kitchen was at the doorway, but in back. Hated it! Unless you do not cook or wash dishes inside or have kids running in and out you will go nuts moving every 30 seconds for the in-out-in-out people. People will walk around you to use the potty, then back to the sink and out the door. Two people cannot fit in your kitchen/doorway area where your proposed sink is located. I cook inside and like the potty access straight ahead where your bunks are located. It will be very disruptive at meal time for you if you are not camping alone. I was at the point of locking the door until I was finished cooking. I prefer my galley kitchen with front bunks. If dad needs a fork for the grill, no one has to walk around me to get it. You know what they say if mama ain't happy....
That is funny, I purposely put the kitchen at the door. I am an outdoor cook/eater, I would only cook inside if it was pouring and I did not have enough time to pull the awning. I actually donít even want to put the stove back into the kitchen because I would prefer the counter space and prefer to use my Coleman portable stove or BBQ. We have a tent trailer with a galley kitchen and I absolutely hate it, I find it such a pain in the a## to constantly step up into the trailer to pull out dishes, cooking supplies and access the sink. My hope is to be able to have most of my cooking gear within arms reach of the doorway including the sink. I would love to be able to reach in to turn on the tap for a quick rinse instead of walking into the trailer.

rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
Name: Rox
Trailer: 13' Ventura + Honda Element
British Columbia
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Who's sleeping in the 5'-8" bunk beds? That seems kind of short. Even kids grow.
I am only 5' and so are most of the people in our family. I know my son will grow, but I doubt he will reach that height in the next few years (if at all). I thought this would be more comfortable then the standard front bunk set up and allow more years before my son out grows it, do you think?

rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hi Rox,
I'm with you regarding not cooking in the trailer. We do almost all food prep, cooking, eating and cleanup outdoors; still making adjustments so we can grab all supplies and step outside. Will add a rear hatch to store the portable stove under the rear bench with access at the outdoor curb side. Likely will store other cooking equipment there as well. Also we always plan really simple meals and sometimes have food pre-made in the frig -- either cold meals or ready to heat -- this is especially nice after a long drive to campsite.

Which gets me thinking... cooking/eating indoors vs. outdoors is as individual as many other things. Some would never have a camper without a bathroom, but we opted for none. Love the extra storage space! Especially since the addition of a child made the 13-footer too cramped (it's not the people, it's all the gear). The porta-potty works good for us (mostly for night time and for child) and around here state campground bathrooms are very clean (we wear flip-flops just the same), and never run out of hot water; and truck stops offer amazing full private baths for $5. We only shower in the campground baths and do all our dressing, hairdrying, etc. in the camper so we don't haul much to the baths. (Each of us has a pre-stocked cloth bag.) And if it comes down to it we feel sponge baths are about as comfortable as the tiny bathrooms and small water heater capacities in small trailers. If you don't know if you are a must-have-a-bathroom type or not, may I suggest you rent or borrow a trailer similar to what you are designing? Trailer showering is not at all like showering at home.

You might find the additional storage space outweighs your desire for a private bathroom (remember a water heater takes a chunk of room as well; we have an electric teapot that heats a good quantity of water to boiling in about a minute). One of the things I detest is having to move items before I can find the item I need so really appreciate good storage and organization. If you detest campground baths, then stick with designing a bathroom that works for you and your family. We opt for our needs and seldom worry about re-sale; if you don't design too much out of "ordinary" you'll find like-minded buyers when the time comes.

Have fun with your build!

Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote