new floor plan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
rox

Name: Rox
Trailer: 13' Ventura + Honda Element
British Columbia
new floor plan

Hi guys, I am in the middle of a completely gutting my trailer and have been pondering new floor plan ideas. Given that I have not been able to actually spend any time camping in this trailer due to the hidden rot when I bought it, I would like to get some feedback from the veterans egg campers out there.

Is this plan space usable? Or are the bed, kitchen and shower sizes too small of a squeeze? All feedback is welcome! thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
floorplan.jpg  
rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
What brand trailer?
Layout looks good.(shower over wheel well?)
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is the shower/toilet over the wheel well???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I must be learning something! My first thought was "wheel wells"?, too! Maybe because mine are always in the way!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like that too, but I guess it does look like you'll need to shift the shower space. Maybe slide the bunks towards the rear and use that corner for shower/toilet? Except I'm not sure how you'd get in if there's kitchen on one side and bunks on the other. Hrm.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Maybe the wheel well could act like a built in shower seat depending on how much standing room is in there? Looks like it might be extended out far enough to accommodate a seat.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
If we could only divest ourselves of the wheel wells.
I'd like to move the kitchen forward in the Amerigo but the weight concerns me.
As was it was all right over the axle
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
rox

British Columbia
Hello all, it is a Ventura so the sides are very straight to the roof and good hieght. This does land the shower over the wheel well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Maybe the wheel well could act like a built in shower seat depending on how much standing room is in there? Looks like it might be extended out far enough to accommodate a seat.
Exactly what I was thinking, or even building it up so it is a step up to the shower. What do you think?

I am not putting the 3-way fridge back in, instead I will use an electric cooler. Do you think the weight of the kitchen in front would be ok with this set up? The only real weight there would be the cooler.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #9

Check the clearance for the shower... once you have to step up. I think you may find that will make the head room way to short.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
rox

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Check the clearance for the shower... once you have to step up. I think you may find that will make the head room way to short.
I think the shower toilet combos are meant to be used as a sit down shower. I have 73" to the roof, if I rise the shower floor 15" I should still have 58" for a seated position. This wouldn't be an ideal set up for a claustrophobic family, but might fit my family of 5 footers.

Or I could do the built in seat idea with 12" seat and 12" floor, but I wouldn't get the royal throne. I want to pack as much functional space into my little trailer as possible, it seems like the truck bed campers can pile far more into a comparable foot print.

Do you think the 28” wide bed is to tight? I would like to build it so my 7 year old son wont outgrow it in a year or two. I know, I know, I want everything out of my little slice of trailer.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

As long as there's room to sorta stand to rinse thoroughly, you may be okay. Even my 16' sidebath Scamp has a short roof in that area and it's a sit-n-shower (on the toilet), but I can stand to rinse... even if hunched over a bit.

I'd search out a refrigerator cardboard box... or something like it and mockup the shower area before I made the final commitment, and then couldn't turn back! ... ymmv
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If you can manage a couple more inches of bed width without crimping your aisle, you might be glad you did. But if it will cause a problem, then do what you have to do. I am thinking that you'd better get used to hearing the wall being accidentally thumped against all night with the 28" beds.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Who's sleeping in the 5'-8" bunk beds? That seems kind of short. Even kids grow.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
My comment is a little different. Had a camper where the kitchen was at the doorway, but in back. Hated it! Unless you do not cook or wash dishes inside or have kids running in and out you will go nuts moving every 30 seconds for the in-out-in-out people. People will walk around you to use the potty, then back to the sink and out the door. Two people cannot fit in your kitchen/doorway area where your proposed sink is located. I cook inside and like the potty access straight ahead where your bunks are located. It will be very disruptive at meal time for you if you are not camping alone. I was at the point of locking the door until I was finished cooking. I prefer my galley kitchen with front bunks. If dad needs a fork for the grill, no one has to walk around me to get it. You know what they say if mama ain't happy....
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
rox

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaross View Post
My comment is a little different. Had a camper where the kitchen was at the doorway, but in back. Hated it! Unless you do not cook or wash dishes inside or have kids running in and out you will go nuts moving every 30 seconds for the in-out-in-out people. People will walk around you to use the potty, then back to the sink and out the door. Two people cannot fit in your kitchen/doorway area where your proposed sink is located. I cook inside and like the potty access straight ahead where your bunks are located. It will be very disruptive at meal time for you if you are not camping alone. I was at the point of locking the door until I was finished cooking. I prefer my galley kitchen with front bunks. If dad needs a fork for the grill, no one has to walk around me to get it. You know what they say if mama ain't happy....
That is funny, I purposely put the kitchen at the door. I am an outdoor cook/eater, I would only cook inside if it was pouring and I did not have enough time to pull the awning. I actually don’t even want to put the stove back into the kitchen because I would prefer the counter space and prefer to use my Coleman portable stove or BBQ. We have a tent trailer with a galley kitchen and I absolutely hate it, I find it such a pain in the a## to constantly step up into the trailer to pull out dishes, cooking supplies and access the sink. My hope is to be able to have most of my cooking gear within arms reach of the doorway including the sink. I would love to be able to reach in to turn on the tap for a quick rinse instead of walking into the trailer.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
rox

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Who's sleeping in the 5'-8" bunk beds? That seems kind of short. Even kids grow.
I am only 5' and so are most of the people in our family. I know my son will grow, but I doubt he will reach that height in the next few years (if at all). I thought this would be more comfortable then the standard front bunk set up and allow more years before my son out grows it, do you think?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Rox,
I'm with you regarding not cooking in the trailer. We do almost all food prep, cooking, eating and cleanup outdoors; still making adjustments so we can grab all supplies and step outside. Will add a rear hatch to store the portable stove under the rear bench with access at the outdoor curb side. Likely will store other cooking equipment there as well. Also we always plan really simple meals and sometimes have food pre-made in the frig -- either cold meals or ready to heat -- this is especially nice after a long drive to campsite.

Which gets me thinking... cooking/eating indoors vs. outdoors is as individual as many other things. Some would never have a camper without a bathroom, but we opted for none. Love the extra storage space! Especially since the addition of a child made the 13-footer too cramped (it's not the people, it's all the gear). The porta-potty works good for us (mostly for night time and for child) and around here state campground bathrooms are very clean (we wear flip-flops just the same), and never run out of hot water; and truck stops offer amazing full private baths for $5. We only shower in the campground baths and do all our dressing, hairdrying, etc. in the camper so we don't haul much to the baths. (Each of us has a pre-stocked cloth bag.) And if it comes down to it we feel sponge baths are about as comfortable as the tiny bathrooms and small water heater capacities in small trailers. If you don't know if you are a must-have-a-bathroom type or not, may I suggest you rent or borrow a trailer similar to what you are designing? Trailer showering is not at all like showering at home.

You might find the additional storage space outweighs your desire for a private bathroom (remember a water heater takes a chunk of room as well; we have an electric teapot that heats a good quantity of water to boiling in about a minute). One of the things I detest is having to move items before I can find the item I need so really appreciate good storage and organization. If you detest campground baths, then stick with designing a bathroom that works for you and your family. We opt for our needs and seldom worry about re-sale; if you don't design too much out of "ordinary" you'll find like-minded buyers when the time comes.

Have fun with your build!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote