New guy here - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
New guy here

First off im new here and jyst getting my feet wet. Baught myself a 1973 boler a few weeks ago which was advertised ready to camp. Its very cute and im looking forward to some fun trips .

My first reno challenge is changing the side window on the stove side.....it was leaking and was not the originol jaloiese window that the unit was built with.

So first question....i. looking at some second hand windows that are around....wondering how to cut the fibeglass existing whole bigger than it is? Will a simple jig saw work? I dont want to get a bad cut or damage the shell....but if i am going to find a second hand window i imagine i wont get one to exact specs.



Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________

__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I used a Craftsman Multi-tool cutter for fiberglass cutting. A lot more accurate and a lot less dust thrown around.

Good Luck.
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rick Mooyman's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Posts: 962
Registry
Hi David, welcome and congrats.

I put Scamp windows in my Boler and made the cuts I needed with a angle grinder and a jig saw. But they were also less wide and had to put in fiberglass to make them fit.. Check out my photo album to see what i had to do.

Message me anytime if you have questions or private message me and I and get you my private email address or phone number.

Also make the 3rd weekend of August 2015 on your calendar for the 6th Annual Fiberglass and Vintage Camper Rally at St Malo Provincial Park.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilder View Post
First off im new here and jyst getting my feet wet. Baught myself a 1973 boler a few weeks ago which was advertised ready to camp. Its very cute and im looking forward to some fun trips .

My first reno challenge is changing the side window on the stove side.....it was leaking and was not the originol jaloiese window that the unit was built with.

So first question....i. looking at some second hand windows that are around....wondering how to cut the fibeglass existing whole bigger than it is? Will a simple jig saw work? I dont want to get a bad cut or damage the shell....but if i am going to find a second hand window i imagine i wont get one to exact specs.



Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
papa-t's Avatar
 
Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Posts: 969
Welcome David.
__________________
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
Thankyou rick

I will definatly email you...I have some questions already. As I said my first challenge will be to find and install a new window. I have contacted sunview windows to see how much it will cost for them to build me one. If its reasonable I will probably just go for it. As I have said I removed the old one and just have a cut out opening now which is 17 3/4 x 25 1/2. I dont mind cutting the whole bigger if I have to...just wanna make sure I dont make things any worse ....like cracking my shell. (I have never cut fiberglass)

David
__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
Thanks Papa T

David
__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rick Mooyman's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Posts: 962
Registry
Make sure you don't cut anything till you get your new windom and make a template first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilder View Post
Thankyou rick

I will definatly email you...I have some questions already. As I said my first challenge will be to find and install a new window. I have contacted sunview windows to see how much it will cost for them to build me one. If its reasonable I will probably just go for it. As I have said I removed the old one and just have a cut out opening now which is 17 3/4 x 25 1/2. I dont mind cutting the whole bigger if I have to...just wanna make sure I dont make things any worse ....like cracking my shell. (I have never cut fiberglass)

David
__________________
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
Good advice. Im still searching for a window. Any thoughts on that? Anyone in winnipeg that can custom make something for me?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Gotta tell you "Custom Made Window" = $$$$Cdn and $$$US....

Locally I'd look for boat repair shops and see what can be ordered from standard stock,

Also, shop Ebay under both RV and Marine parts for new, surplus or used windows. Even with shipping it's going to be a lot less than having one custom made.

Good Luck
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rick Mooyman's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Posts: 962
Registry
What is the rough opening size for the window you have now? Pics would help. Custom windows would be VERY expensive. The cheapest windows I found were from Scamp in Backus MN. Made by Hehr and were cheaper then I could get them from Hehr themselves. Might be worth the drive to go and pick them up.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilder View Post
Good advice. Im still searching for a window. Any thoughts on that? Anyone in winnipeg that can custom make something for me?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
17 3/4 x 25 1/2

That is the opening of the window. I will try to get some pics on the weekend. Got the whole thing covered by a tarp...but I will uncover on the weekend. Also...gotta figure out how to post pics here. David
__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
Pics of my Boler

Here are some pics of the boler I bought this past august. More to come later.
Attached Thumbnails
20140913_200547.jpg   20140907_124831.jpg  

20140913_114820.jpg   20140914_100818.jpg  

__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
Im In the Market for a window in the kitchen, stove side preferably the Jalousie style...but whatever works. I am also looking for Gravel Guards for both front and back of unit.
__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Hi David, welcome and congrats.

I put Scamp windows in my Boler and made the cuts I needed with a angle grinder and a jig saw. But they were also less wide and had to put in fiberglass to make them fit.. Check out my photo album to see what i had to do.

Message me anytime if you have questions or private message me and I and get you my private email address or phone number.

Also make the 3rd weekend of August 2015 on your calendar for the 6th Annual Fiberglass and Vintage Camper Rally at St Malo Provincial Park.

Rick
Hi rick ...here is a pucture of the hole where i need to put a windiw.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1413303751631.jpg  
__________________

__________________
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's here, it's here, it's here!!! melissab General Chat 30 09-24-2015 09:35 PM
New guy, new camper, new questions... Seldomseensmith Modifications, Alterations and Updates 29 08-24-2014 11:28 PM
New guy from Central New York sean wheeler Hi, I am.... 14 02-27-2012 10:57 AM
New guy here! Heathc General Chat 10 08-11-2009 05:19 PM
What a guy wants.....what a guy needs? Laura K. General Chat 22 09-15-2007 01:50 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.