New guy here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
New guy here

First off im new here and jyst getting my feet wet. Baught myself a 1973 boler a few weeks ago which was advertised ready to camp. Its very cute and im looking forward to some fun trips .

My first reno challenge is changing the side window on the stove side.....it was leaking and was not the originol jaloiese window that the unit was built with.

So first question....i. looking at some second hand windows that are around....wondering how to cut the fibeglass existing whole bigger than it is? Will a simple jig saw work? I dont want to get a bad cut or damage the shell....but if i am going to find a second hand window i imagine i wont get one to exact specs.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
dhwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I used a Craftsman Multi-tool cutter for fiberglass cutting. A lot more accurate and a lot less dust thrown around.

Good Luck.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Hi David, welcome and congrats.

I put Scamp windows in my Boler and made the cuts I needed with a angle grinder and a jig saw. But they were also less wide and had to put in fiberglass to make them fit.. Check out my photo album to see what i had to do.

Message me anytime if you have questions or private message me and I and get you my private email address or phone number.

Also make the 3rd weekend of August 2015 on your calendar for the 6th Annual Fiberglass and Vintage Camper Rally at St Malo Provincial Park.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilder View Post
First off im new here and jyst getting my feet wet. Baught myself a 1973 boler a few weeks ago which was advertised ready to camp. Its very cute and im looking forward to some fun trips .

My first reno challenge is changing the side window on the stove side.....it was leaking and was not the originol jaloiese window that the unit was built with.

So first question....i. looking at some second hand windows that are around....wondering how to cut the fibeglass existing whole bigger than it is? Will a simple jig saw work? I dont want to get a bad cut or damage the shell....but if i am going to find a second hand window i imagine i wont get one to exact specs.

Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome David.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Manitoba
Thankyou rick

I will definatly email you...I have some questions already. As I said my first challenge will be to find and install a new window. I have contacted sunview windows to see how much it will cost for them to build me one. If its reasonable I will probably just go for it. As I have said I removed the old one and just have a cut out opening now which is 17 3/4 x 25 1/2. I dont mind cutting the whole bigger if I have to...just wanna make sure I dont make things any worse ....like cracking my shell. (I have never cut fiberglass)

David
Old 09-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #6

Manitoba
Thanks Papa T

David
Old 10-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #7

Registry
Make sure you don't cut anything till you get your new windom and make a template first.

Quote:
Thankyou rick

I will definatly email you...I have some questions already. As I said my first challenge will be to find and install a new window. I have contacted sunview windows to see how much it will cost for them to build me one. If its reasonable I will probably just go for it. As I have said I removed the old one and just have a cut out opening now which is 17 3/4 x 25 1/2. I dont mind cutting the whole bigger if I have to...just wanna make sure I dont make things any worse ....like cracking my shell. (I have never cut fiberglass)

David
Old 10-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Manitoba
Good advice. Im still searching for a window. Any thoughts on that? Anyone in winnipeg that can custom make something for me?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gotta tell you "Custom Made Window" = $$$$Cdn and $$$US....

Locally I'd look for boat repair shops and see what can be ordered from standard stock,

Also, shop Ebay under both RV and Marine parts for new, surplus or used windows. Even with shipping it's going to be a lot less than having one custom made.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #10

Registry
What is the rough opening size for the window you have now? Pics would help. Custom windows would be VERY expensive. The cheapest windows I found were from Scamp in Backus MN. Made by Hehr and were cheaper then I could get them from Hehr themselves. Might be worth the drive to go and pick them up.

Rick

Quote:
Good advice. Im still searching for a window. Any thoughts on that? Anyone in winnipeg that can custom make something for me?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

Manitoba
17 3/4 x 25 1/2

That is the opening of the window. I will try to get some pics on the weekend. Got the whole thing covered by a tarp...but I will uncover on the weekend. Also...gotta figure out how to post pics here. David
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

Manitoba
Pics of my Boler

Here are some pics of the boler I bought this past august. More to come later.
Attached Thumbnails
20140913_200547.jpg   20140907_124831.jpg  

20140913_114820.jpg   20140914_100818.jpg  

Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Manitoba
Im In the Market for a window in the kitchen, stove side preferably the Jalousie style...but whatever works. I am also looking for Gravel Guards for both front and back of unit.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #14

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Hi David, welcome and congrats.

I put Scamp windows in my Boler and made the cuts I needed with a angle grinder and a jig saw. But they were also less wide and had to put in fiberglass to make them fit.. Check out my photo album to see what i had to do.

Message me anytime if you have questions or private message me and I and get you my private email address or phone number.

Also make the 3rd weekend of August 2015 on your calendar for the 6th Annual Fiberglass and Vintage Camper Rally at St Malo Provincial Park.

Rick
Hi rick ...here is a pucture of the hole where i need to put a windiw.

Attached Thumbnails
1413303751631.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #15

Manitoba
A couple more pics

Looking for a window still!
Attached Thumbnails
20141013_131604.jpg   20141013_131741.jpg  

Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Check out Lil Bear Teardrop, I bought my door window from them as well as the windows for my teardrop, great place to deal with. Li'l Bear Tag Alongs
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote