New Int. Ensolite Seams Done! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Whaler
Trailer: '89 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho
British Columbia
Registry
New Int. Ensolite Seams Done!

Ok so the dreaded what to do with the Ensolite seams in our old eggs appears to be a touchy subject for many who have tried to clean em up. Well i may have the answer for you.......

Perma Stik - Anti Skid Vinyl Tape
Available at RONA (I think the roll was about $30)

http://www.wjdennis-rcr.com/Portals/...s/Antiskid.pdf
The white 1" textured tape normally used for grip in hot tubs or showers is the stuff I used.

It has an adhesive waterproof backing and is quite pliable. I still decided to use a light spray of 3m Super 90 on the pieces just be fore installing them, then lightly waving a heat gun over them as they were installed just to make sure It conformed to the curves and stuck well.
Then I repainted the whole interior with White High Gloss Urethane Marine Enamel which has turned out beautiful.

Keep in mind a real good clean first is gonna help bigtime, plus I think the heat gun was key to making the tape "stretch" into the curves really well.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0672.jpg   IMG_0673.jpg  

Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
neato!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Now that it's been there for a few days, do you still feel that the 3m Super 90 was required?
I like how it looks in your photo and haven't seen many other options.

-M
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark V. View Post
Now that it's been there for a few days, do you still feel that the 3m Super 90 was required?

-M
After 3 years of staring at poorly done silicone seems by previous owner(s) I purchased a role of this suggested tape at Revy .First I tried it with out glue, although it was pretty sticky it did not stick very well, so I did purchase the 3M Super 77 (could not find 99) and I was very happy with the results. The texture of the tape matches the Ensolite very well. I will paint it when it is completed.

Great find!!!http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/i...ilies/smil.gif

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Thanks Brad, I'll be adding this to my list of things to do!

-M
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Judd View Post
After 3 years of staring at poorly done silicone seems by previous owner(s) I purchased a role of this suggested tape at Revy .First I tried it with out glue, although it was pretty sticky it did not stick very well, so I did purchase the 3M Super 77 (could not find 99) and I was very happy with the results. The texture of the tape matches the Ensolite very well. I will paint it when it is completed.

Great find!!!http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/i...ilies/smil.gif

Brad
was one roll of the tape enough to do the whole trailer? Thanks for the info!
Tracy R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy R. View Post
was one roll of the tape enough to do the whole trailer? Thanks for the info!
Yes, should be. The photo from "Whaler" shows roughly how much might be left over.

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark V.

-M
It's been almost two months now with a good variety of interior and exterior temperature changes, and so far none of the tape has come loose. I'm pretty sure the 3M spray glue has been a help and also the fresh coat of paint to make sure the edges stay down. I'll say I'm very happy with the result and recommend this application for anyone wanting to really complete their restoration.
Also I'm pretty sure the heat gun was a key component as well.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Ok so the dreaded what to do with the Ensolite seams in our old eggs appears to be a touchy subject for many who have tried to clean em up. Well i may have the answer for you.......

The white 1" textured tape normally used for grip in hot tubs or showers is the stuff I used.

It has an adhesive waterproof backing and is quite pliable. I still decided to use a light spray of 3m Super 90 on the pieces just be fore installing them, then lightly waving a heat gun over them as they were installed just to make sure It conformed to the curves and stuck well.
Then I repainted the whole interior with White High Gloss Urethane Marine Enamel which has turned out beautiful.

Keep in mind a real good clean first is gonna help bigtime, plus I think the heat gun was key to making the tape "stretch" into the curves really well.

Good Luck.
looks great, you can still buy seam tape from Scamp but it doesn't work well. You "seamed" to have found a viable alternative.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #10

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Great Idea!

Love love love how all you guys are so creative! I was one of the lucky few who managed to acquire a trailer that had all the trim and in tact so not for me but I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate this.
Quote:

Good Luck.
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #11

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
what if I didn't paint this seam stuff

I know this is an old post, but it seems helpful for the darn seams in our newly purchased 1977 Scamp. The ensolite is in good shape, the seams not so much. The seams HAVE to have work, but I don't want to paint just yet. Basically wanting seam replacement advise before my husband gets out the contact cement and some thing he finds at Lowe's
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Dont have to paint.

Hi Newbie, you don't have to paint after the tape is installed. I did though for two reasons:
-Marine enamel paint would create an extra "seal" to hold down the edges of the tape.
-The Ensolite and Perma-Stik were very different shades so I wanted a very clean, new appearance.

FYI, two years later and many trips with varying climates have not changed the adhesion or permanence of this seam solution. It looks as good as it did the day I installed.

Whaler
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #13

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hello Newbie!

Thanks for reviving the thread. I have the original double sided tape in my '69 Boler and have been putting off replacing it. A year ago a bought the scamp tape but don't like how much thicker it is. I'll be purchasing this shortly.
Whaler thanks for the update
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #14

Name: Eva
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Ontario
Anti Skid Vinyl Tape - still working for ensolite??

Quote:

Good Luck.
Hello, I have a similar problem in a Trillium, a previous owner filled in some of the tracks where one might install a new T insert and your taping solution sounds to be a perfect alternative...how is it holding up all these years later?
Thanks!
Trailereva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #15

Name: Robyn
Trailer: 75 Trillium
Ontario
Yes!!!
That is exactly what we used. It's been 5 years and holding up very well.
Dylemma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #16

Name: Matt
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Calked and painted mine.
badjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #17

Name: Jenn
Trailer: Boler
ON
I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if you can still get this product? Thank you.
JennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 06:32 PM   #18

Name: Chad
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Glue

What’s everyone use to glue it back to fibre glass?? Wok gorilla glue work?
Chadwick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote