New kitchen/backsplash/cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1978 13ft Scamp
Tennessee
Registry
New kitchen/backsplash/cabinets

So the hubby got really busy on the camper this weekend and got tons done. He made and installed cabinet doors, made the table, and installed the backsplash. Neither of us liked how the table turned out with the clear urethane. The wood we used was from a leftover project and too many imperfections popped up. So my husband sanded it back down and painted it with a glossy gray oil based paint. He intends to make another table at some point, but since we are going camping in days, he just doesn't have time to work on it now. Also, we LOVED how the backsplash came out. However, due to the extreme heat, all of the self-stick stainless steel tiles fell off the next day. So we are going to have to purchase the adhesive and reapply. We probably should have done that to start with, but...well we are in a super rush because we are running out of time. I need to update my blog with the current progress, but my husband has done so much it has been hard for me to keep up. That's a good thing! You can find my blog at Scamp Camping. I HAVE to make curtains in the next day or two. I keep putting it off because I am not very good at sewing and I have had so much trouble finding the fabric I like. I am in love with our camper and I am getting a little nervous that I am becoming obsessed with these adorable egg campers!
Scamp Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
patti---great job!! you and your hubby have been really busy! the stainless steel tiles do look terrific and i am sorry that they fell off. but adhesive will surely correct that.
as for the curtains, no-sew is an option. there are posts on this forum with directions.
iron-on tape, fabric glue etc are all options.
whatever you do, it'll be fantastic just because it's yours!!

happy camping!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Tennessee
Registry
Thanks Theresa. I will definitely look up those curtain ideas. Also, I need help naming it if anyone has any ideas.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Great tiles. I haven't seen those. Where did you get them? Do they fit tight to each other so gunk can't get between?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

Tennessee
Registry
Where we got them: Home Depot. We picked them up in the store but here is the info on them from their website and you can look them up.
Aspect 3in. x 6 in. Stainless-Steel Short Grain Backsplash Tiles (8-Pack) Model # A51-50 Internet # 202275410 Store SKU # 645111

They don't really lock into place but you can get them pretty tight together. I dont think much can get in between the minuscule space in between them. But, let me say that we do not plan on cooking inside the camper. So when we put these in place we weren't worried about food gunk getting in there. They just looked easy to install, easy to clean, and very pretty.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Really nice work Patti (and husband!)! I've spent countless hours walking around home depot looking at EVERYTHING from plastic bins to building materials thinking "is there is a use for this in my egg?" and in all that time I never saw these tiles!

This could really be a problem solver for us since I want to do the entire kitchen area in stainless. I'd like the countertop and backsplash to be one piece but with the radius corners it would be difficult. These tiles might offer some solution to that. Thanks for the info!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
very cool!!!! Looks like you should be able to get a sun tan while doing the dishes!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #8

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
This is an absolutely stunning redo! Great Job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Really very elegant kitchen treatment. Nice job.

Naming your camper is at least as hard as naming a pet, maybe not as hard as naming a child. Your on your own, perhaps with use it will just come to you. I know at least one cat and a dog that we named after they showed us what their name should be. Klinger who hangs on your pant leg for attention and Katrina the hurricane. Ever seen a 40 lb dog racing around doing a cat fit?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Love it! Great job!
Ker M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

Name: Jill
Trailer: 1972 Cloud
Minnesota
Registry
That is gorgeous! I have used those same tiles on my sister's kitchen. They rae a breeze to install and shoudl be available in most tile distribution centers. they are new this year so they might take a while to get to the small towns.

I love the modern look you have made to your trailer! I am curious to see your new curtains too - whatever they are! Great job! You motivate me to get some new light fixtures.
Jill_Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'll be happy to sew curtains for you or to act as a consultant. I have outfitted our Scamp with 4 different sets of curtains with coordinating or matching 16" pillows. The differing decor has made our trips extra fun!

As to the metallic kitchen backsplash readers might want to use a counter mat as described in the Walter Drake catalog (SilverWave Counter Mats - Home Improvement & Cleaning - Home - Walter Drake).
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Nice Work! And another blog to bookmark!
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote