New License Plate Frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Illinois
New License Plate Frame

Many kuddos to the numerous dedicated folks documenting their experiments and adventures. For a newbie, it's more help than one can imagine.

I'm in process of updating my '85 Scamp 16 foot. Among other scamp projects, this one involved replacing the clearance markers with LED, since the originals were getting too corroded and unreliable. The PO also had some make shift tail lights drilled into the back. It was an eye-sore. Thus, the tail lights were also replaced with round LED. I love the look of the updated round tail lights !

Unfortunately, this left my options for mounting the license plate in the back somewhat limited and awkward. I searched and searched for some "clean" solutions to this dilemma, not wanting to drill any more holes in the fiberglass and wanting to prevent the plate from flopping against the fiberglass on the highway. Eventually I got the idea stuck in my head to mount the license plate to the bumper via magnet. It could be removed or relocated easily, was very sturdy, and was cost competitive with many of the custom replacements on the market that were far less suited for this application (and plastic). My solution may be a bit over-designed, but I'm happy with the result so far. In two weeks I'll have some field experience to see how the magnet holds up, but I think it'll do fine on the road (could always add a second magnet).

For electricity I wrapped the wire around the base of the magnet so I've got enough extra length external to be flexible with the location, then drilled a small hole in the floor, ran the wires up to the tail lights for power, bundled the extra wire internal, then epoxied the pinhole.

Overall rough cost -
$5 90lb rated magnet at harbor freight
$8 steel backplate from lowes
$4 steel right angle from lowes
$0 steel channel (re-used from old shelving)
$10 auto LED strip from walmart (really $20 since it was a 2 pack, I plan to mount the other under the door for step lighting)
$6 Black license plate frame from walmart
$3 Automotive primer spray paint from menards
$3 Automotive black spray paint from menards
$2 Stainless steel license plate screws at walmart
$2 Stainless steel hardware from menards

Overall Time -
A few hours plus or minus paint drying. The license plate and frame cover most of it, so none of the dimensions really had to be exact!

Happy Camping!

PICTURES BELOW
Attached Thumbnails
2012-09-09_09-21-17_378.jpg   2012-09-09_09-21-31_632.jpg  

2012-09-09_20-42-09_302.jpg   2012-09-09_17-58-38_230.jpg  

2012-09-09_09-21-57_571.jpg   2012-09-09_20-42-19_594.jpg  

toledo2tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
When I changed over to the round LED tail/stop lights, I to did not want to drill any extra holes in the fiberglass. I removed the original "wedding cake" tail light lenses from the metal mounts, then removed the incandescent light sockets from the mounting plates and just mounted the new LED lights to the original mounting plates. I did have to install an LED license plate light to the license plate frame, since the stop/turn LED's did not have illumination for a plate like the original "wedding cake" lights did.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
I too wanted to change out my license plate light on my Bigfoot 17 and after a lot of research and looking (very hard to find nice license lights these days) I settled for the Airstream license holder and installed an LED light inside.

These are pretty easy to find and I really like how it finished the rear appearance of the trailer, instead of many of the after market lights available.

Here is one supplier but many can be found on eBay too.
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm going with frame and light combined: Lighted Chrome License Plate Frame - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Sweet frame Donna! Love it! I needed the rack to go with mine as it was an all in one unit originally. We have small 8" wide plates for trailers in BC and having a hard time finding a nice chrome rack for it. Seems most are either regular size or motorcycle size which is smaller again.

Love little tweaks which really set off a unit like this though.
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license