New Magnetic Spice Rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I do a fair bit of cooking, and thought it would be nice to have a collection of spices in our trailer, but where to put them?

I built a spice rack custom-built for those little spice tins that you used to find everywhere and built a "magnetic" spice rack that holds the tins in place during transit. I just test-towed the trailer and spice rack on a weekend trip, and everything stayed put. It's cool!

About half my tins came from a close-out sale from a store on Vancouver Island, BC that was clearing out their remaining stock at $0.99 each . . . many of my tins claim to be "poultry seasoning" or "mace;" I emptied them out and I printed large, easy to read labels for all my tins telling me what's really inside. The outer frame of the rack is 1/4" x 1-1/2" stained poplar, the two "shelves" from 5/8" x 1-1/4" scrap wood, so the 2" deep tins actually stick out from the shelves. The magnetic strips at the back are two runs of 1" wide strip-magnets mounted 1/8" up from the tops of the shelves so the lip of the tin can slide under.

Michael's arts & crafts store sells the magnetic tape. It's sold in rolls next to the kid's science supplies: buy the thickest, strongest magnetic tape they sell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Oct29SpiceRack1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	10523

The two shelves are thicker so you can get your fingertips around the tin you want and give it a light tug. All the interior surfaces are painted white.

--Peter
Attached Thumbnails
07Oct29SpiceRack2.jpg  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You do nice work.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
There is one site that you might find more than interesting. It's Lee Valley.com. The store is located in Vancouver, B.C. but they also have online ordering. I just bought a small stainless steel sheet with magnetic, small round cannisters, and glass in the top to see contents. There are all different sizes from extra small to large. Go to Arts & Crafts category. I am going to mount mine above my stove.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Very cool Peter.
And you guys might start to have anything that ills you clear up with the power of those magnets permeating your spices!
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
These things are on sale here at Can. Tire.------- right now-----
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr
Wow, that's very clever! I hope my sister doesn't see it, or she'll want one for her trailer!
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote