New manual water pump needed, need suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Hello again, so i just replaced my whole plumbing system in my old 77 boler and found that my water tap/ pump is no good. It worked for a little while, but gave up and now doesn't pump at all. It has the manual hand pump on the left, and a tap on the right. I need suggestions on which pump i should go with. Do any of the good aftermarket ones fill both holes left in the countertop? I was looking at the Valterra rocket and another combination 3 way pump. I was toying with the idea of adding a power water pump with the tap. Has anyone done this with a manual and power tap combined? Can anyone recommend a good pump and tap combo? Thanks
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Hello again, so i just replaced my whole plumbing system in my old 77 boler and found that my water tap/ pump is no good. It worked for a little while, but gave up and now doesn't pump at all. It has the manual hand pump on the left, and a tap on the right. I need suggestions on which pump i should go with. Do any of the good aftermarket ones fill both holes left in the countertop? I was looking at the Valterra rocket and another combination 3 way pump. I was toying with the idea of adding a power water pump with the tap. Has anyone done this with a manual and power tap combined? Can anyone recommend a good pump and tap combo? Thanks

I have a 77 Scamp. It was setup to have a tap faucet connected to city water, and the hand pump off the onboard tank. I installed a power pump (Also added a water heater) I removed all of the old plumbing. I put a T fitting in the line that plumbed the hand pump and ran that to my power pump. I installed a small valve under the sink on the hand pump tube to stop back suction. If I have no power I can open the valve and use the hand pump. Otherwise I use the power pump. All of the sureflow pumps have a check valve so if your Boler has the city water flange on the outside of the rig you can plumb sink in a fashin that allows you to use that if you are hooked up. If you would like I can draw you a complete diagram for plumbing it.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
buy a kit and rebuild it for less than $25.00
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry

To follow up on David's story, I ditched all of the original components and re-did all of the plumbing in my '88 Scamp. I added a water heater, outdoor shower and a ShurFlo pump. Since I always plan to have at least 12V power available to my water pump, and hence, water pressure, I found a very cool bathroom faucet at Ikea that does everything I need. Like David, my plumbing also ties into the City water source when I'm hooked-up. So, on those occasions I don't need the on-board water pump to be engaged.

Attached Thumbnails
SMEV.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Robert I love your faucet.

I contemplated removing the manual pump but I know I would use more water when dry camping so I simply replaced the old pump with a Rocket pump. I like the Rocket but it is not as easily repaired as they say. I couldn't pull it apart to put new parts in. I simply purchased another Rocket replacing the whole thing.

I did want a city water tap with a high spout, I found it at West Marine. Here's my setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7673.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	26747
City water spout on the right swivels which I've found handy.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler
I've decided i'm going to go with a shurflo pump and a new faucet, but i also want to keep my city water connection availables. I'm not sure how i'm going to do this with one faucet, unless i add a check one way check valve in the city line so that it doesn't pump back out that intake. I'm sure others have done this and it's not complicated, but i'll have to think about it for a bit.
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
The city water connection that is on the side of my Scamp has a check valve built into it.

Bill K

Quote:
I've decided i'm going to go with a shurflo pump and a new faucet, but i also want to keep my city water connection availables. I'm not sure how i'm going to do this with one faucet, unless i add a check one way check valve in the city line so that it doesn't pump back out that intake. I'm sure others have done this and it's not complicated, but i'll have to think about it for a bit.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I like foot pumps. No power consumption, no electrical pump noise, and it's easy to conserve water. Of course a manual pump does all these things, but I like to wash *both* hands

For the main pump in a boat or house, I'd choose a dual action such as the Whale Gusher Mark III; however for a camper I like the Baby Whale. It's single action, which helps to conserve water even more, and it's also soft and rounded if your foot happens to bump into it. (You mount this on the floor, typically under a kick space; however if you don't want something sitting on the floor, the Gusher mounts inside a cabinet, and just the foot pedal sticks out, suspended in the air.)

Name:   whale_baby.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  10.0 KB

Defender is a multi-generation-owned family business, and one place that sells them (but there are many others). Whale makes good pumps, in my experience.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-...0&id=161288

Here's the Gusher, which is probably more pump than most people need in an egg, but is an option, especially if you want the pump out of the way and off the floor. There are rebuild kits available - it's not a "throw away" pump. You can see the whole pump here, but only part of the arm and the foot pedal would actually be seen once installed:

Name:   gusher.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  9.0 KB

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-...&id=1125818

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I pump into a small pan, then wash both hands but then that's soapy so it's rinsing one hand at a time pumping with the other.

Hey a foot pump that's a great idea.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
They're somewhat common on boats; for months after coming ashore though, I find myself kicking fruitlessly at the bases of various sinks and counters
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hello,

Just thought this might be of use. If you install a check valve
in the hand pump line you will not have to pump the water all
the way up from the tank every time. One flip of the handle
gives you water!

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx...d=searchresults

Larry H

Click image for larger version

Name:	2CheckValve.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	26765
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
[quote]Hello,

Just thought this might be of use. If you install a check valve
in the hand pump line you will not have to pump the water all
the way up from the tank every time. One flip of the handle
gives you water!

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx...d=searchresults

Larry H

Attachment 26765

You know... I searched all around town and I was not able to find a signle PVC check valve. I had to order them online too.

Here is a diagram I sketched up, this might help.
Attached Thumbnails
img001.GIF  
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
[quote]
Attachment 26747

I replaced my old hand pump with one from Canadian Tire that looks like the one on the left. I also added an inline 12v pump that sits under the counter. The hand pump has a built in check valve that keeps it's prime when in the forward position and a push-on/release-off button, on the front of the counter, operates the pump when using the battery power.
I always wondered why someone had drilled that hole there before I added the 12v pump and thns said to self... ahaa!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote