New Paint Job - Door colour?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
This is more of a poll than anything....

Will be painting my Boler soon and stuck on what to do with the door. I have seen some :

1. paint it the same colour as the bottom

2. paint it to match the top colour (stock design)

3. Make a seam and carry on the two tone theme onto the door

What does everyone prefer? Not sure what to do.....
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Alright you guys, lots of folks are viewing this topic, but no one is answering up

This is MY opinion or 2 1/2 cents as you prefer.

If I was going to paint two-tone, I'd carry the color at the same height all the way around...if the trailer has a natural break or belly band.

I'm going to paint my Scamp in the fall. My pickup is painted Silver Frost, but the new-old tug I'm building will be painted a soft yellow. My painter is refusing to paint the trailer yellow. (actually he will, but really doesn't want to). His thought is when I tow the trailer with the pickup it will look And secondly, if I sell the yellow vehicle, I'll end up with a yellow trailer..what's the point if it doesn't match anything.

Paint, while not a bank breaker, is not cheap and I only want to do this once. My painter's suggestion is to paint the trailer white and use an accent color (YELLOW) as a wide stripe. If and when I replace the yellow vehicle, all I'll need to do is change the stripe color, not repaint the entire trailer. Besides, if I ever decide to sell the trailer ( ), white trailers seem to be preferred by more buyers.

Okay, so that's three cents worth of information.

I want something similar to the attached pic...with matching wheels too!!
Attached Thumbnails
54Ford_Casita3.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I like the strips! couldnt one get a vinal strip custom made intead of having one painted on??? Love the yellow!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #4

Kurt in this post: Kurts post in General Chat you mentioned painting the same color as the Honda and the wife wants some sort of gun metal gray. How about a stripe in one color and pin-stripping or graphics in the other color. Make the overall color white One thing about white is the reflective value. That black from the previous owner must have made that trailer an oven....even if it did look pretty dang cool with a matching tug.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt in BC,
I'm with Donna. Whether or not your TT has a "belly-band", one can be created. I'd carry the color scheme right across the door, rather than making the door a contrast. The contrasting stripe or stripes can match your tug (or tugs). The "belly-band" can be low, high, at an angle, stepped or somewhat flame shaped. The two-toned look seems to date the appearance.
Of course if the TT has a vertical seam, you could really go wild and paint each side differently! If you got tired of the look on 1/2 the TT, you'd only have to paint that side.
White as the predominate color goes with all other colors and therefore makes sense when selling. Contrasting wheels are often all that's needed to make an interesting statement.
Choices, choices, choices...?
Isn't the process fun, confusing, and even nerve-wracking?
Relish the dilemma,
Kurt & Ann K.
P.S.,
You might take pictures from all angles, print then copy them so you can play with your ideas on paper. My brother-in-law did that with an old delivery van and won several awards in graphics contests. The ultimate design was three-toned, very straight-forward and simple but the colors all went well with each other. He played with the proportions of each color before he was satisfied. Doing it on paper saved a lot of painting to get it right. Of course, if you are not computer challenged like me, I think you could generate the design on your computer.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #6

I love the feedback! Thank-you

We thought of all white and I already have the paint (for free ). We were going to do it all white and then have a local sign shop make up some vinyl graphics for it to add some colour/design.....just to break up the all white appearance. We were actually going to do a design called spped bubbles but the kit would likely cost big $$ to be made up.

My boler does have the bely band to break up the halves. I'm polishing the aluminum belly band on mine. I'm like a fish - I'm attracted to shiny objects.

We decidced to start looking at colours for the bottom half to stay more true to the original retro look. I brought home a PPG colour ship book for ALL the vehicle manufacturers from 1996 - 2001. Yes the book is huge. At this point a subtle platinum colour looks good and is not too dark.....Whatever I decide definitely white on the top. The entire paint scheme is still up in the air though......

keep the suggestiojns coming!!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler Honey
Kurt,
Im sure someone has told you about the Bolerama website. It has so many great pictures of all sorts of paint jobs. I browsed the brochures they have on there as well. I noticed in the 80s they had mostly white bodies, with stripes of various kinds and of course, the red maple leaf. Really looked sharp! Im a bit of a gold and silver sort myself (also attracted to shiny objects). One of the Bolers had the shiny belly band with a gold medium sized pinstripe in gold. Very eyecatching, yet understated! Im voting for that! Since it was above the belly band, you could still put a nice color underneath.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Some years ago Airstream had a series of trailers that had a blue strip below the belly line that was sort of a trade mark and looked more sophisticated than their "economy" line.

At the time we towed a 26ft Avion with a red and silver Chevy pickup. I painted a matching red band just below the windows on the Avion and trimmed it off with pin striping purchased from a boating shop.

The effect was similar to the yellow stripe in the photo above. Even though it is just a stripe in the color of the tow vehicle, it suggests that the two belong together.

It reminds me of a young couple who are showing off their matching rings.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #9

Kurt, have you been following the topic Benita started in General Chat:
Paint Jobs, Real or Imagined About three pages of pictures...may give you an idea you haven't even thought of yet
Old 04-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #10

I have been some are really wild!! I think we may have chosen a platinum colour for the bottom....or white all around. It will come down to $$$ of paint.

I am now trying to figure out what colour to paint the frame. My wife says the same colour as the bottom. I am thinking white.....decisions, decisions...
Old 04-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I was surprised how much difference the colour of the frame made in with some other people's Bolers. Mine is off-white, lighter than the gelcoat tan, and it doesn't look good. I don't think white will stay clean enough to look good, and would likely go for a relatively dark shade of grey, perhaps in a shade which I could match in a readily available aerosol anti-rust paint (such as Tremclad or Rust-oleum) for later touch-ups. I think of a good frame colour as complementing the body colour, rather than matching, but of course that's just personal opinion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #12

Well its finally happening...... painting next weekend!!

I have taken some advice and went with a more subtle colour on the lower half of the Boler.
We are going with a platinum colour on the bottom (off a Toyota Rav 4) and the white top. The colour is relatively light for the heat and should be soft on the eyes as its a mix btw silver and gold.

Still stuck on the colour of the door though. At this point I'm thinking white like the original paint scheme.

As for the frame. I am painting it the same colour as the bottom half.

Oh and I updated my website on my progress!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2307057/1
Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Kurt, I left my door white and went with a red bottom to more or less match my truck and left the top white because of heat reflection....the reason that I left the door white is that if the door sags a bit it`s not as noticeable as if I had a line that would have a jog in it....you see that on vintage cars with the three tone paint jobs sometimes where the paint lines don`t quite line up or the chrome strips don`t quite line up.....the only thing that I should have done is before I put matching chrome stripping on the trailer, I should have painted a pewter band at the bottom half way up the red and mounted the chrome on it same as my truck has......if you look on my webshots site you`ll see what I mean...but then everybody has their own ideas and it would be a mundane world if every body thought the same way..... ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Still stuck on the colour of the door though. At this point I'm thinking white like the original paint scheme.
I vote [b]2-tone; white upper half and platinum lower half, with a 1/2 inch silver decal stripe separating the colors to continue the "Belly Band" across the door.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #15

thats what my painter (father) wanted me to do. We'll see come Sunday when we do it.

I ordered the paint today. No turning back now!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #16

Got rained out this weekend. So no painting. I am hoping for next Saturday.....
Old 06-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #17

got rained out once again

Old 06-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Still stuck on the colour of the door though. [b]At this point I'm thinking white like the original paint scheme.
I think the rain gods are trying to get you to change your mind!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #19

weather says sun this weekend, so we'll see...

- Kurt
Old 06-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #20

Its finally done . Some scary moments with some clouds but the weather hung out. Looks fantastic !!

Pics to follow tomorrow......

-Kurt

Tags
paint, painting