New ParkLiner battery box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Aaron mentioned about them not using optimum anymore... mine are less then 2 years old and seem to drain down too quickly

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Looks like a well thought out and visually pleasing solution. Good job PL.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #23

Name: Betty Lou
Trailer: Ready to purchase.
Delaware
Parkliner battery box

Again I am left scratching my head. Not being skilled, schooled nor trained in any of the areas of steel integrity, welding, battery venting I am left pondering what I feel to be valid points. So how'bout Those Eagles? ok sorry just my feeble attempt to bring some levity to the hot topic:-)
Our previous stick build camper had battery on tongue in basic black box that we had fastened with heavy rubber bungee straps. Totally had no idea that batteries can overheat and could explode. So much to think about and consider especially since we put a deposit down on a PL in Sept when we went down to meet with Cameron. Battery box aside... Really am pleased to see the new tire clearance that the new mould provides. Encouraging to see that PL really seems to be hearing the concerns and trying to correct problems or at least provide solutions. Again thank you everyone for sharing what you share. Betty Lou and Bev-2 sisters in del.
BL Chiffons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #24

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Aaron mentioned about them not using optimum anymore... mine are less then 2 years old and seem to drain down too quickly
He did mention that Deryk, but did not respond to my question about what they switched to. I wonder if they will switch out my blue top Optimas when I visit in May? I also wonder if they'll enlarge my wheel openings like that pic they have on their web site where some dude can get 3 fingers in front of the tire. Gee! I emailed Cameron about that, but have not heard back.

Will have pics soon of my new battery maintainer set up, and a progression of pics on my 30 amp RV/marine inlet project.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #25

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL Chiffons View Post
Again I am left scratching my head. Not being skilled, schooled nor trained in any of the areas of steel integrity, welding, battery venting I am left pondering what I feel to be valid points. So how'bout Those Eagles? ok sorry just my feeble attempt to bring some levity to the hot topic:-)
Our previous stick build camper had battery on tongue in basic black box that we had fastened with heavy rubber bungee straps. Totally had no idea that batteries can overheat and could explode. So much to think about and consider especially since we put a deposit down on a PL in Sept when we went down to meet with Cameron. Battery box aside... Really am pleased to see the new tire clearance that the new mould provides. Encouraging to see that PL really seems to be hearing the concerns and trying to correct problems or at least provide solutions. Again thank you everyone for sharing what you share. Betty Lou and Bev-2 sisters in del.
Eagles are somewhat erratic Betty Lou, but doing good right now!

Hey, our Sunline must have been a cousin to yours! We had a black battery box behind the propane tanks that had a relatively loose bungee cord one would wrap around and hook it to keep it on. I was always amazed we didn't lose the bungee cord and the top to the battery case!

Your new ParkLiner will NOT have Optima batteries Betty Lou, so no worries for you. You will also have great tire clearance. I'm envious already!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #26

New Jersey
Registry
Somehow Frank, Im doubting they are going to modify our wheel well's...Im guessing that would be more then a 1 day job with epoxy curing and re-gel coating. Yeah I wish...cause lets face it in a short few years when our axle starts to sag a bit we are going to have the same problem that Brian and Thom and others are experiencing now.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #27

New York
I wouldn't mind getting it fixed if they were willing Deryk. We'd stay someplace else while they did it. I was amazed at that pic on ParkLiner's Facebook page with the dude's 3 fingers of space between the tire and wheel well!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #28

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
I like the looks of the new battery box, but it seems to me they really didn't fix the core issue. The real issue is that there is something about the combination of the Optima batteries and the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 that can cause the batteries to overheat and vent. I am also not sure I like the idea that if the batteries do cook they would now do so next to the propane tanks. I have seen pictures of batteries that have exploded in enclosed RV compartments and they have blown off the door of the compartment (there is a youtube video in which a guy shows the aftermath and at first he thought vandals had pried off the door to steal the battery.) Of course, I don't like the idea of them exploding under my head either (or my feet)!

Maybe this is only an issue for anyone who has let their batteries full discharge, but I don't feel confident that has been fully proven either.
At the risk of being told I am "beating a dead horse", even with the "smart dongle" the PD is not a smart charger, and without the smart dongle it is a really dumb charger. Not that others aren't as well, it just happens that the PD is the charger used here. You can't "fix" that issue with a battery box.

IIWM, I would disconnect the PD charge circuit entirely and get an aftermarket smart charger. In fact that is exactly what I have done, so I have already put my money where my mouth is.

When you consider how many thousands we have spent on our TTs, the cost of a smart charger is "in the mud" as we said when analyzing circuit noise.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #29

New Jersey
Registry
John, how did you wire it in? I would consider adding one once I get my new batteries and battery box.

thanks

deryk

Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #30

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
John, how did you wire it in? I would consider adding one once I get my new batteries and battery box.

thanks

deryk
What "smart charger" are you guys talking about?!?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #31

Alabama
It requires plugging into AC and I haven't "neatened up" my install yet. I had a stainless steel battery box hand built for my Scamp. NO electronics should be in the battery box simply because of the risk of hydrogen gas and explosion.

I simply placed the charger at the front wall under the bunk where the 7 pin cable comes through the wall and into a bundle of connections. I found the wires coming from the PD charger into this bundle and disconnected them. That left me with the wires going through the wall to the batteries, which I just tied into. I had a temperature sensor I also had to deal with so I fed that through the wall and into the battery box as well.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #32

Alabama
Frank,
I have been accused of being a "disgruntled PD employee" and similar. I am not. I have discussed what things a charger should do in previous threads and don't want to start all that up all over again. I have no ax to grind, and no company to promote. Third party Smart chargers are common. The following site is one that sells them, but so does Amazon and others.

12 Volt Smart Battery Chargers | 12v Powersports Chargers
You should look for:

1) Multiple phases of charging
2) 14.8 V charge voltage for the bulk charge
3) if you are dealing with an AGM or gell battery make sure the charger allows you to specify the battery type
4) Remote voltage sense
5) Remote temperature sense
6) charge phase switching based on voltage and current curves, NOT a simple "timed" charger.

I will not recommend any specific charger. I will recommend checking the list above against any charger being considered and trying to get as many of those properties as you can in a budget you are willing to pay.
Trickle chargers are not sufficient for your main charger. The battery needs to be charged fairly quickly, and the charger should handle the bulk of your DC needs when plugged in as well as provide additional capacity for charging the battery. IOW if you are plugged in somewhere, and your battery has been discharged by dry camping, you do not want the charger struggling to just keep up with your usage at the RV park, you want to have enough to handle those needs as well as some left over to recharge the battery.

If they cannot be programmed to charge an AGM (sealed) battery and that's what you own, then they will cook your battery because they are trying to charge a "wet cell" which can be charged faster. The charger really does need to sense the voltage AND the current that is applied AT THE BATTERY in order to correctly (SMART) charge the battery. If it isn't doing that then it isn't smart charging, it is just hoping for the best.

We have seen the results of that strategy.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #33

Alabama
BTW I should have added that AGM batteries need to charge at 14.4 volts, NOT 14.8V. 14.8 is for wet cell and the AGMs will charge too fast at 14.8V. Which reinforces why the charger needs to be able to differentiate between the two, usually by being told with a switch.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Rather than rehash here what has been said many times before on this forum about chargers, could we please keep this thread focused in line with the original post, and it is that on the topic of the new battery box that ParkLiner is now offering.

Any further posts off topic will be deleted, and if it becomes enough of a problem, this thread will unfortunately have to be closed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Anyone have the dimensions on this new battery box?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #36

New Jersey
Registry
In 2.5 weeks when I get mine installed I will add the measurements and photos...I can't wait to get it done!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #37

New York
Is it okay to ask about chargers here, or is that off topic and will get the thread closed? I know nothing about these Optima batteries, and for the life of me, can't figure out how to search these forums.

This is the charger I got: NAPA 85300A - NAPA AUTO PARTS

I just brought it upstairs to open and look at the instructions. Pics later, probably on my ParkLiner thread.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #38

New Jersey
Registry
I don't know much about them but I'm getting a feeling that the pd4045 unit puts out too much voltage for the optima batteries.. I might be wrong but Thom switched toa charger that seems to be the right one for optimas

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #39

Alabama
I would suggest starting a thread specific to smart chargers and ask your questions there.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I would suggest starting a thread specific to smart chargers and ask your questions there.
Agreed. If people do this it would be fine, but please everyone, use respect for the opinion of others, and do not make it personal. That is all we ask.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, parkliner