New Project - 76' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
New Project - 76' Scamp

Just picked up a new project (Like I needed anymore). It is going to be quite a while before I get to tear into it. But I figured I would start the build log.
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqR,!mIE2EINU!hDBNl62+2+PQ~~_12.jpg   $(KGrHqV,!mEE2EmrTiGhBNl62mtMkg~~_12.jpg  

$(KGrHqUOKj8E19L36O,NBNthVO3qSQ~~_3.jpg   $(KGrHqN,!jME2H1kCqZgBNl63RjiUw~~_12.jpg  

$(KGrHqV,!l8E2Euurd,,BNl62l(VMQ~~_12.jpg   IMG_0897[1].jpg  

David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
That looks like interesting work.Keep us posted with photos.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Cripes! I hope it was cheap.
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Holy crap!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark V. View Post
Cripes! I hope it was cheap.
The price was pretty fair... before I discovered the severely broken frame and the previous body damage, that I don't think P.O. was aware of. Hazards of buying on a cross country auction. But I think it'll fix up OK. I have wanted to cut my teeth at a full body off for some time. Fixing all the glass wont be to hard, just a lot of time. The axle and frame are going to be the tough stuff! This little guy has quite a history, the most recent being the freak snow storm that collapsed the garage roof onto it. Other than the damaged area the Gelcoat is in really good shape, even for senior trailer. So I am hoping I can color match and patch without having to completely re-paint.

Hopping to start the gut out soon. Ill be posting pics as time goes on!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Looks like your gonna have your hands full with that one.I remember seeing it on ebay a little while back.You should be a fiberglass pro when you finish with it.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
Looks like your gonna have your hands full with that one.I remember seeing it on ebay a little while back.You should be a fiberglass pro when you finish with it.
Fortunately my handy father-in-law, is an ex boat maker and had experience in the repair department. He seams to think it will be fairly easy. I know I can fix it strong... But I am not convinced It'll look real good, unless he lends me his talents. But practice makes better my first grade teacher always said!

Good eye - BTW, that was listed on Ebay a while back. I poched the listing pictures, as it sits right now its wrapped in Alabama Chrome!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0899.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
It looks good with the "Alabama Chrome".Put a window in it and your good to go.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #9

Started the gut over the weekend. I caught the hired help napping on the job, so other than the employee drama. It was a rather un-eventful process. There was some padding on the walls under the cabinets, with a white vinyl on it. The padding was not closed cell and was wet as a sponge. The up side to that is It soaked up most of the rain water, and there was not nearly the water damage to the wood as I expected. The stuff was very difficult to remove.

I found that one of the osculation multi tools, with a wide "Peeling" blade worked amazingly well to peel back the Ensolite, around the large creeling cracks. I think that the materials will be completely salvageable!

The duct tape I used to seal up the cracks left a huge mess... Can anyone recommend a method for removing the gum from the gelcoat? I tried acetone but it evaporates to quickly and I am afraid it will damage the coat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1014.jpg   IMG_0995.jpg  

IMG_1016.jpg   IMG_1026.jpg  

IMG_1027.jpg   IMG_1028.jpg  

Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Try goo gone

Home - Goo Gone

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Duct tape if left on too long... the glue turns to concrete! You're lucky if it's just sticky and gooey. For future reference try this stuff instead: Amazon.com: Scotch(R) Weather Resistant Masking Tape 225 Silver, 18 mm x 55 m [PRICE is per ROLL]: Industrial & Scientific

Acetone won't hurt the gelcoat... but it will your lungs. Be careful.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
From the pictures it seems as though you have a pretty bad animal infestation.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H
From the pictures it seems as though you have a pretty bad animal infestation.
Yea it's terrible seams we had a miss communication about break time and work schedule. We worked it out. But I feel it's only a matter of time before they call the union boss!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hey David

I remember you said you were thinking of stretching your 13' scamp to a 17' boler, is this the one? ha ha

Looks like the front end doesn't look to bad. I feel for you with the frame repair that has a dropped floor , very complicated hopefully there is enough there to copy to make the new one

Keep us posted
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h
Hey David

I remember you said you were thinking of stretching your 13' scamp to a 17' boler, is this the one? ha ha

Looks like the front end doesn't look to bad. I feel for you with the frame repair that has a dropped floor , very complicated hopefully there is enough there to copy to make the new one

Keep us posted
I did mention that. And it did cross my mind with this one... But I am not ready for such a task yet. This rig is going to my in-laws. My 13 is a bit tight for a family of 4 and I dream of trading up for a 16' but even 16 is limited for options. At 17' I think I could fit a decent sized bathroom, the regular bunk-beds and at least two seats that could be used so I don't have to reset the dinette every time we want to sit a min. But, that would be a project of epic proportions. After seeing the Big foot stretch though.... The gears have been turning....

As it turns out the frame is not as bad as I first thought. And it's repairable. It has a fatigue crack, so happens I have a friend who is not only a metal guru but also a certified weld inspector. He is helping me get it fixed. There is very little corrosion on it. I do suspect that the axle is toasty but I know didly on axles. So that will wait till I can take it to a local shop.

Someone u-bolted the front nose floor board to the frame rails. Since it was no longer able to flex, it beat the front end all up. I assumed it was a frame issue, before it donned on me what was happening.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Duct tape if left on too long... the glue turns to concrete! You're lucky if it's just sticky and gooey. For future reference try this stuff instead: Amazon.com: Scotch(R) Weather Resistant Masking Tape 225 Silver, 18 mm x 55 m [PRICE is per ROLL]: Industrial & Scientific

Acetone won't hurt the gelcoat... but it will your lungs. Be careful.
Thank you for the tip! That looks like some really cool stuff!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #17

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Use
GOOFOFF
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #18

Busy weekend, but she is coming along well! On to interior~
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1071.jpg   IMG_1079.jpg  

IMG_1077.jpg   IMG_1085.jpg  

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #19

Name: Alison
Trailer: 1974 Aer-flo 14R
Nova Scotia
Registry
Good luck with the reno. Hope you can stick with it. Goo Gone does work but it didn't help remove any of the decals from my egg. I does remove grease, crayons, glue ect. Your little helper seems like he is the boss on the job not you. My cat loves to get in and lay around like it owns the place to.
Alison Cape Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #20

Thank you all for the tips on removing the duct tape... Nasty stuff! I will NEVER make that mistake again! Goof Off/Goo Gone, both worked. With lots of scraping and rubbing. I used one of those plastic Brillo style scrubbing pads, and ample helpings of the goof-off. Ben hitting it hard the last few days. I should have some more progress photos soon. Plumbing and electrical are all finished.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1113.jpg   IMG_1110.jpg  

IMG_1104.jpg  

Tags
scamp