New Rims for 17' Boler - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
New Rims for 17' Boler

Hello,

I have a 1978 17' boler and am thinking of putting some nicer aluminum rims on it. Anyone have anything that has worked well for them? I am not sure of the bolt size either if anyone happens to know. I have seen a few with rims from Ford Rangers so that might be a way to go. Also, are you limited to the rim width with the limited selection of trailer tires out there? All input welcome.
Thanks
TR

Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Most trailers use a 5X4.5" bolt spacing and have a zero (0) offset. This eliminates most standard vehicle wheels. Checking the specifications 5 bolt Ford Ranger wheels apprear to be the correct bolt pattern but have a -15 mm offset, this may work depanding on how much clearence you have in the wheel wells. Rim width is usually limited to around 6" but again it depends on how much room you have in the wheel wells.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Our car club put some really nice aluminum wheels on our club cargo trailer.
I've seen the same wheels on some campers although not our eggs.
A tire/wheel shop would be able to show you what would replace your current wheel just take them one of your present wheels.
Fred
Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Alberta
Thanks Ian and Fred. I was going to ask you too Ian, where did you buy the small trailer tires that you use to get your trailer low enough to get into your garage? Was it a Princess Auto tire.

Also at this point I think I will have enough clearance for almost anything with the crazy suspension this one has. A torsion axle mounted on leaf springs! I plan on getting Standen to put a new one on this year some time and I think they can adjust the ride height to whatever works. I need to get it about 6" lower so it will roll into my garage that I had built with extra high 8' doors.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Thanks Ian and Fred. I was going to ask you too Ian, where did you buy the small trailer tires that you use to get your trailer low enough to get into your garage? Was it a Princess Auto tire.

Also at this point I think I will have enough clearance for almost anything with the crazy suspension this one has. A torsion axle mounted on leaf springs! I plan on getting Standen to put a new one on this year some time and I think they can adjust the ride height to whatever works. I need to get it about 6" lower so it will roll into my garage that I had built with extra high 8' doors.
Hi Tim

Yes these are the Princess Auto, they do go on sale. They bolt directly on a non-brake axle, with brakes they fit on backwards (valve stem pointing in)
4.80-8 Trailer Tire Assembly | Princess Auto
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

Alberta
Those should help a bit getting it into my garage. LOL might have to take off the vents though! Guess I should make an appointment at Standen's.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Wheels? There's so many combinations used on travel trailers I wouldn't even hazard a guess what yours is. I know the wheels I run on my Scamp isn't what came from the factory because I did an axle change. Don't assume! Years ago, I put a 5 stud axle template out in the Document Center. Maybe you can see exactly what you need (before you order!). Hope it helps: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - 5-StudCircleTemplate
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

Alberta
Thanks Donna. Good point with all the other mods on this thing. I was going to measure the studs on mine first and maybe even take the spare before buying new rims.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I have purchased 2 sets of tires and wheels from recstuff.com. They have lots of trailer wheels and some pretty good information on bolt patterns on their web site . It might be easier for you to buy in Canada but the web site has lots of basic info in wheels and tires.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #10

Alberta
Excellent website Jack. Might have to have it shipped to somewhere in the lower 49 and make a trek down. Donna, you should see the template for measuring bolt patterns! http://recstuff.com/themes/default/D...leTemplate.pdf Not as simple as the one you sent but certainly informative.

Tags
boler