New Scamp Door latch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Makes sense to me. I've had a white one on hand for several years, right Donna D.
Yeah Joy, we do. Only mine is chrome. My trailer isn't bright white any more. Every time I kick the box with my toe, I remember I really should bite the bullet. Maybe David's post gave me that nudge....

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Donna, maybe I'll have it done by July for the Oregon gathering. The fellow that did the workshop last name is McLean I think. I can't up with his first name. Oooo...maybe it was Riely.

The way he did it you don't have to make an oversized hole and therefore no backer to cover the hole on the outside of the door. He did use a shim on the inside. I actually have my shim made just haven't gotten the nerve to do the project. Kind of like the generator box on the tongue which took me years of plotting to finally complete the project.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah Joy, we do. Only mine is chrome. My trailer isn't bright white any more. Every time I kick the box with my toe, I remember I really should bite the bullet. Maybe David's post gave me that nudge....
Unlike Joy,If I remember correctly, you've already had the striker plate for about that long.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Donna, maybe I'll have it done by July for the Oregon gathering. The fellow that did the workshop last name is McLean I think. I can't up with his first name. Oooo...maybe it was Riely.

The way he did it you don't have to make an oversized hole and therefore no backer to cover the hole on the outside of the door. He did use a shim on the inside. I actually have my shim made just haven't gotten the nerve to do the project. Kind of like the generator box on the tongue which took me years of plotting to finally complete the project.
Joy,
I may be missing something, but I think the only way to avoid the trim plate is to move the latch near the edge of the door. If you do that it will not be as strong as placed back in the reinforced area like Floyd and I did. Strong enough? I don't know, ........ maybe. Most of the force will be on the thinner edge section. That is why Floyd moved his back, and after I got into mine I agreed with him. YMMV.

Another sidenote: I replaced the soft foam weatherstrip on my door with an Airstream rubber seal. The seal is awesome, but it does take a bit more force to compress and latch the door. If you ever plan to upgrade your door seal, it's another reason to make sure the latch is well supported.

Just some things to consider before firing up the saw

David
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #19

David,

It ends up on the thicker portion of the door. If I recall the original hole ends up in the lower left corner of the cut out.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Smile door latch

My 13 foot Scamp door latch came with a latch handle that if raised enough two holes will match. Through those two holes you insert the rod that is attached to the chain. I have always felt secure in my Scamp, but it wasn't until I found out what that rod was for and that it would really go through the holes horizontally that I felt secure. Now it is impossible to move the latch from the outside of course without really damaging and prying on the fiberglass. At that time I would be awake and able to defend myself with my trusty __________. Marg
Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Floyd,

I don't see how you lock this from the outside, if you are going to leave the trailer unattended for a day or so. Are those two small keyholes on the outside?

Diane
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane G. View Post
Floyd,

I don't see how you lock this from the outside, if you are going to leave the trailer unattended for a day or so. Are those two small keyholes on the outside?

Diane
Diane, if you look at the picture in the link I gave, you can see the key holes more clearly. One key locks the paddle so you can't lift it. The second key hole engages a deadbolt, similar to the ones in your house. Two levels of security. Both operations use the same key.

David
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Unlike Joy,If I remember correctly, you've already had the striker plate for about that long.
Floyd your kindness hasn't been forgotten... truly. But my 1988 trailer has issues (perhaps) not found in newer trailers. It's like a stack of domnioes. I want the door to fit the very BEST it can, the brass balls and hinge bolts are original. Prior to cutting a four inch hole in the door, I absolutley want to make certain the door fits the opening the best it can. I do have new balls and bolts from Scamp.... just haven't replaced them... they're in the same box with the new lockset. Maybe I'm waiting for Joy A. to make the mod.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #24

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Floyd your kindness hasn't been forgotten... truly. But my 1988 trailer has issues (perhaps) not found in newer trailers. It's like a stack of domnioes. I want the door to fit the very BEST it can, the brass balls and hinge bolts are original. Prior to cutting a four inch hole in the door, I absolutley want to make certain the door fits the opening the best it can. I do have new balls and bolts from Scamp.... just haven't replaced them... they're in the same box with the new lockset. Maybe I'm waiting for Joy A. to make the mod.
Shut and lock the door, then you can remove ONE hinge bolt to examine the hinge for wear. If the casting is wallowed out as well as the ball, then you can drill entire hinge pin assembly out to5/16" or 3/8",including the ball, to true them . replacing the bolt with a stainless steel bolt will keep the rust down.
It is so frustrating sometimes for me to have so many miles between most of my Scamp friends and me. It would be fun to help and share ideas in person and at my little shop where the tools are.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #25

Hey, I was playing with the lockset and one of the keys broke off in the lock that locks the deadbolt. Fortunately, a portion of it was sticking out so I was able to remove the broken piece from the lock. In looking at the broken key it looks like it was made out of some cheap metal. I took the other key downtown to have several new ones made and no one here in my town can make this type of key. It's a double something or other key.

I'm not cutting a hole in my Scamp's door until I know I've got additional keys for it. I guess I'll carry the second key around with me and try to remember to find a locksmith elsewhere that might be able to duplicate the key.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Hey, I was playing with the lockset and one of the keys broke off in the lock that locks the deadbolt. Fortunately, a portion of it was sticking out so I was able to remove the broken piece from the lock. In looking at the broken key it looks like it was made out of some cheap metal. I took the other key downtown to have several new ones made and no one here in my town can make this type of key. It's a double something or other key.

I'm not cutting a hole in my Scamp's door until I know I've got additional keys for it. I guess I'll carry the second key around with me and try to remember to find a locksmith elsewhere that might be able to duplicate the key.
Joy;
It is a common key blank. It is used in my pickup bed cover and in many plastic tote boxes as well as hitch locks. Look on the hilt, there should be a letter/number combo which would allow your helpful hardware man to get more blanks and cut you as many as you need. I agree that the key is flimsy.
My SIL makes keys, I'll check with him tomorrow. E-Mail me with your key code if you can't find it locally, I may be able to get some made for your lock and mine.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Joy, we have the same door latch on our EggCamper and had extra keys made at Camping World.
Ron
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #28

Thanks fellows.....

It's an hour to the nearest town where I might be able to have a key made.

And....I'll be going to my nieces for Christmas, there is a Camping World a few miles from her house plus lots Malls. I'll swing over there.

Tags
scamp