New Scamp Factory Retractable Screen Door in Older Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Name: ASueHutch
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
New Scamp Factory Retractable Screen Door in Older Scamp

Has anyone added the Scamp factory retractable screen door on an older model ? I am strongly considering ordering one. I've seen the plans for the bifold on this forum but didn't see anyone that done the retractable one. Sorry if I missed a post. Thanks!

This is the link to the part on the Scamp website.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...or-detail.html
ASueHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have the bi-fold in our 2010 and LOVE it. We get alot of compliments on it. Never had experience with this "retractable" model. If you go through with it, I'd LOVE to see it when completed! Wish I could be of more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASueHutch View Post
Has anyone added the Scamp factory retractable screen door on an older model ? I am strongly considering ordering one. I've seen the plans for the bifold on this forum but didn't see anyone that done the retractable one. Sorry if I missed a post. Thanks!

This is the link to the part on the Scamp website.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...or-detail.html
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Very similar to the retractable screen that Escape used on their trailers prior to 2017 (new models have flat doors & screens due to restyling.)

We have it in our 2014 and it works quite well, simple to reset if the dog bumps the bottom loose. The screen cartridge itself is easy to replace without taking down the whole framework.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
My 08 Itasca Navion had a Shub retractable shower door that worked very well. We liked it enough to install a Shub in the camper conversion I am currently building. The self wiping feature works very well.

https://www.newlinebathroom.com/shub...boats-c-1.html

My installation:

https://goo.gl/photos/oxPiTrui7ZF8kMgv8
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
.. Never had experience with this "retractable" model. If you go through with it, I'd LOVE to see it when completed! ...(
Any Scamp built in the last two years or so with the screen door option should have it, including mine. It should be easy enough to put in any year Scamp as long as you add the frame section as needed, in my rig seen here by the front sofa.

https://www.plissescreen.com/
Attached Files
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #6

Name: Holly
Michigan
Just started re-doing my 198??? scamp - that retractable screen is super nifty!
Chauncy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASueHutch View Post
Your Scamp is "pre-fire." You should read this information by Jon why the new retractable screen doors for the new Scamps may not fit yours, direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post636641
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #8

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Is this product like a retractable screen? Can't tell from their website pics.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Thanks so much to Gordon for the video. It's worth 30,000 words a second, as usual.

I've been looking for information on the 'new style' scamp screen door for years in hopes of putting one in my 16' Casita. Having the vendor website makes it even more helpful.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great-looking screen! Thanks for the vid!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Any Scamp built in the last two years or so with the screen door option should have it, including mine. It should be easy enough to put in any year Scamp as long as you add the frame section as needed, in my rig seen here by the front sofa.

https://www.plissescreen.com/
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Your Scamp is "pre-fire." You should read this information by Jon why the new retractable screen doors for the new Scamps may not fit yours, direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post636641
Maybe (probably) true if you order it from Scamp, but based on this info from Plisse as well as these videos, I understand that the new model screen door can be custom ordered from the manufacturer to fit any size door. If anyone goes this route I would love to hear how it works out for you.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Scamp Factory Retractable Screen Door in Older Scamp

I wondered about that, Gordon- thanks for checking. Curious how their pricing compares, too- Scamp may benefit from quantity discounts. What you won't get from Plisse are the custom cut boards to box in the door opening. Unless you have the bathroom partition, the front (hinge) side is tricky- has to fit the curve of the shell and attach somehow.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
..What you won't get from Plisse are the custom cut boards to box in the door opening. Unless you have the bathroom partition, the front (hinge) side is tricky- has to fit the curve of the shell and attach somehow.
Absolutely true.. I wonder if the OP's camper has the backing for the curved board that frames the screen? I don't really know what to call it or what it is. It is shown in this photo as the vertical protrusion at the bench / sofa, covered with rat fur. The curved board is on the right and it is attached with screws to this raised area which I assume is glass covered wood.

If you have this anchor strip, it should not be to hard to make the frame for the screen door. If you don't, then its still possible but would take quite a bit more work. I think if I were were going to try the Plisse screen I would build out a square frame first and then take the measurements needed for the Plisse screen door.
Attached Thumbnails
P4280481 copy.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Right. I wonder whether older Scamps have that glassed-in piece on the hinge side of the door.

If not, I think you might get away with epoxying the board directly to the fiberglass. It will be stabilized by attaching to the front bench at the bottom and the rest of the frame at the top.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #15

Name: William
Lakeville, CT
My wife saw a magnetic closure screen when we were visiting some friends and had to have it. It's hands-free, always closed behind you (and the kids that go through them). She bought one on Amazon for 20-something, made some measurements and started modifying it. The Scamp had it's first fitting today and she's trimming the bottom and very enthusiastic about it.

This isn't the one but there are a bunch and I think they are all similar. I'll post if it works out/people are interested.
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Has anyone tried to replace an old screen with the new retractable one in an older 16' Scamp? We had a perfectly functioning old-style screen door until some kids got in there and broke the plastic piece at the top that holds the one edge of the screen door in the rail. So everything is there -- wood, top track, and so on -- except for the screen itself.

I'm just wondering how much of a pain it would be to install the new style or if it'd just be a matter of removing the existing metal pieces from top and bottom, and screwing in the new tracks. Thoughts?

Tags
scamp