new Scamp flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
new Scamp flooring

Hi,

We're thinking of taking out at least some of the carpet (at least in the galley area, maybe under the dinette as well) in our 13' Scamp and replacing it with vinyl flooring of some kind. I've two questions:

1. What problems am I likely to run into? The existing carpet looks as if it's glued down foam-backed stuff, I'm guessing it's glued to the OSB sub floor (which seems to be in good shape) and that scraping it up with a scraper and razor knife will be tedious but do-able. Am I dreaming?

2. We're thinking of some kind of vinyl sheet (vs tiles), probably in a retro-looking checkerboard pattern, maybe with red and white squares. Would anybody care to post a picture of what they've done in their trailers, either of similar design, or of something different you think we should consider?

Thanks so much!

Chuck and LIndaSue
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
If you have access to a sawzall, this might make the job easier: Spyder ScraperŽ – Spyder Products
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Hi, we just had a discussion on this thread. You should get some good ideas here. I pulled up the carpet which left the backing on the subfloor. But with a large putty knife it came off in fast order. Its definitely a job worth doing. But what do you mean you're putting it in part of the trailer? The area you described sounds like the whole trailer except for the door area. I would definitely do the entire trailer. Good luck with your project.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ase-60615.html
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Thanks! I actually did search for a thread about floors, and didn't find anything. Technological troglodyte here.

Ken, I'm in the remodeling business, and haven't seen the Spyder scraper before, so thanks for that tip! I'm going to amazon right now!

Anybody go with a checkerboard pattern vinyl?

cg

ps - was thinking about leaving under the dinette carpeted - the grandkids like to play under there.
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

California
Registry
There have been a few posted on the forum. They too used the sheet vinyl rather than the individual tiles and it looked really nice. Try searching using the Google search function at the bottom of the search pull down list. Hopefully those that did the checkerboard will repost here though. I love the look and it will be great in your Scamp.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I pulled the carpeting up in the main walking area. I left the carpeting in the footwell area of the dinette and also under the couch as they are separate pieces.

The floor area is about 4 ft. x 5 ft. I simply layed the new flooring down, did not glue it but did use some caulk around the edges. The flooring goes under the sink/refrigerator counter and curled up in the foot area attached slightly with some glue, to keep it up.

In my picture you can see the new flooring and the carpet I left in the footwell.
Attached Thumbnails
Under bed storage #1.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #7

California
Registry
Chuck,
KamperBob put in the checker board vinyl and has some pictures in this thread.Its a great look.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ore-60182.html

Tags
scamp