New Scamp Rib Door Seal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #15

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Thanks Floyd! Looks good. I'd like to see it with the door closed. Does the lip protrude much past the door when it's closed? Just curious.

It looks like this seal "fans" out with that extra lip. I can see it would have GREATLY eliminated a problem I ran into with the stock D seal when there was a gap at the top!

Good stuff! Thanks for the installation pics. Also IAN, thanks for the link on yours as well. Scamp is charging $25 for theirs but it looks to be a bit larger and possibly longer since they say it will go around the entire door perimeter including the bottom!

This has been a MUCH-needed item on the Scamp.... better late than never.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Thanks Floyd! Looks good. I'd like to see it with the door closed. Does the lip protrude much past the door when it's closed? Just curious.

It looks like this seal "fans" out with that extra lip. I can see it would have GREATLY eliminated a problem I ran into with the stock D seal when there was a gap at the top!

Good stuff! Thanks for the installation pics. Also IAN, thanks for the link on yours as well. Scamp is charging $25 for theirs but it looks to be a bit larger and possibly longer since they say it will go around the entire door perimeter including the bottom!

This has been a MUCH-needed item on the Scamp.... better late than never.
It doesn't show at all with the door closed. Scamp was very generous with the gasket I had plenty left over.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sounds good Floyd. Stop by site 026 at Scamp Camp and give me some moral support when I put our seal on.

Tom
Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

Tennessee
That will help keep the seal from "aging" if it's not over-exposed to the elements. I know mine is concealed for the most part behind the door.

Sounds like Scamp DEFINITELY has a winner with this seal. Now I'd like to see a NEW Scamp with it installed. I take it the "lip" is very flexible which is most likely the reason they will now install it at the factory on new trailers. Before, they were concerned (as per Kent Eveland) that the more stiff D-shaped seal could push out on a new door a bit causing problems after it fully cured. That's why they requested a few months of curing before installing the seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It doesn't show at all with the door closed. Scamp was very generous with the gasket I had plenty left over.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
That will help keep the seal from "aging" if it's not over-exposed to the elements. I know mine is concealed for the most part behind the door.

Sounds like Scamp DEFINITELY has a winner with this seal. Now I'd like to see a NEW Scamp with it installed. I take it the "lip" is very flexible which is most likely the reason they will now install it at the factory on new trailers. Before, they were concerned (as per Kent Eveland) that the more stiff D-shaped seal could push out on a new door a bit causing problems after it fully cured. That's why they requested a few months of curing before installing the seal.
If I have any left over after installing mine, I'll send you a piece and let you know how it worked out Darral. It sounds encouraging so far.

Tom
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #20

Tennessee
Thanks buddy! Looking forward to Piney to see the installation and how well it works. I agree, I think you will like the seal! I'm not sure I wouldnt attempt it on the bottom as well and be done with it since they sent enough to do it. I will take the sample piece you send and just look it over to see if it would be a viable option to replace the bottom sponge seal. With my kickplate, there hasnt been an issue with the one that's installed though. (so maybe if it aint broke? )

I know you and your work and you wont have any problem with it Tom... Thanks for offering the sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
If I have any left over after installing mine, I'll send you a piece and let you know how it worked out Darral. It sounds encouraging so far.

Tom
Old 01-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #21

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

no real difference in stiffness or consistency for any of the three we have used, just a change in attitude at Scamp!
This latest seal is the best choice, but the others worked well.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Sounds good Floyd. Stop by site 026 at Scamp Camp and give me some moral support when I put our seal on.

Tom
Will do! See you there! We're on site # 76!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #23

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
With the new seal the door is very hard to close, the seal above strike plate is too thick. Did you install continuous seal or cut it near the strike plate? A picture of the lock area would be very useful.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Preparation to install new seal

Two questions here.
Assuming that I install the new type of Scamp door seal on the door jamb rather than onto the door itself, how much do I need to clean off the old adhesive and rubbery mess left on the jamb from the old seal?
I've tried getting this gunk off but even Goof Off seems to not work.
It would be nice if Scamp would post a video of this new seal being applied.
Question 2: Does anyone know if the new models that use this seal come with it on the door jamb or on the door itself?
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #25

Michigan
Mike, the ribbed seal goes on the trailer, not the door. It's been about 14 months and several long and rainy trips, and the seal is working out just fine. The hardest part of the installation was cleaning the old seal and glue residue off the trailer. I used Goo Gone and Brakleen as Floyd suggested, and it took a few hours. I also recommend getting a small plastic scraper for Walmart or other store that sells painting supplies.

I cleaned the area completely. Didn't leave a trace of glue from the last seal. I'm an aircraft mechanic and that's just the way I roll, but I didn't want to give the new seal any excuse to come unglued. It was time consuming, but worth it. The new Scamps 2015 and later(?) have the new seal.

Here is a link to another discussion of this seal installation:
Scamp Door Seal Glue Removal??

Hope this helps. Good luck!

TomK
Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #26

Thanks!

Tom, that helps a lot. Thank you very much. I plan to remove all the old gunk and adhesive too. I can't imagine that a new seal would adhere well otherwise. I'm just not excited about doing it.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:31 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I like Tom took the time to remove all the old foam tape mess. Took awhile to do but very happy with the new seal. Worth the effort. Unlike the old foam one which I had replaced a couple of times the newer rubber one has not moved at all in the 2 years its been on the trailer. You really have to soak the old stuff in Goo Gone and let it sit for a bit. You may also try WD40 as well to clean it up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #28

Once again, thanks for this topic, advice and responses. I used some Lift Off, a plastic scraper, alcohol (on the doorway, not in me), and some Windex. Lots of elbow grease and time. Got all the gunk off. The new door seal went on easily and the door closed nicely. I'll leave it alone for a while to cure, or whatever.

Tags
scamp