New Scamp Rib Door Seal - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 814
New Scamp Rib Door Seal

Scamp came up with a new door seal. I ordered one and it looks promising. It appears to collapse and form a seal easier than the "D" shaped seal they were supplying, and it's made of closed cell foam, so much better at keeping out rain than the open cell seals installed on recent trailers.

*New Rib Door Seal* : Rib Door Seal


Tom
__________________

__________________
TomK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
We started ten years ago with an "Omega" shaped seal which works fine, switched to the "D" shaped seal on subsequent installs, which was more attractive, even convinced Scamp to offer it aftermarket.
I see now Scamp has found what may be both an attractive and effective seal, worthy of original installation!!
A friend just bought a new Scamp with this new seal factory installed.

I think I will order one to replace the "Omega" seal on my trailer, and test it out!
__________________

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Posts: 6
I installed one on my Scamp 19, 1986 model. It fits much better but my door is bowed at the bottom so I added some severe weather stripping on top. The cabin is more sealed than before. I have to push on the door slightly when closing..a good thing.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
__________________
Billy32303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 814
That's good to hear Bill. A couple of us are bringing the new seal to Scamp Camp in Sebring for an unscheduled "Seal-a-Thon" event. Hoping for some nice warm weather.

Tom
__________________
TomK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
I installed the new flanged seal on EggySue yesterday. it looks great and appears to be the most effective seal yet. I still would not use it for the threshold though, the square solid closed cell foam is still best for that.


__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I installed the new flanged seal on EggySue yesterday. it looks great and appears to be the most effective seal yet. I still would not use it for the threshold though, the square solid closed cell foam is still best for that.


Thanks Floyd! for sharing that info as I was just going to ask about how the new stuff worked out on the threshold.

I have the D seal around the door and very happy with it but kept using the foam at the threshold but my pup decided to chew it up on last camping trip, wondered if I should switch it to the new stuff or stick to foam for the threshold.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Georgia
Posts: 58
To those who have installed the new seal, which way did you orient the flap/flange? Facing inside or outside? An inquiring mind wants to know.😜

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,443
I too have the D-seal with the closed-cell foam at the bottom. It rests against my alum. "kick plate" and I have had no issues with water with this setup. I havent ever really considered what I would replace the closed cell foam with when I do have to make a change.

Floyd....pics of the installation of the new seal??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Floyd! for sharing that info as I was just going to ask about how the new stuff worked out on the threshold.

I have the D seal around the door and very happy with it but kept using the foam at the threshold but my pup decided to chew it up on last camping trip, wondered if I should switch it to the new stuff or stick to foam for the threshold.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
To those who have installed the new seal, which way did you orient the flap/flange? Facing inside or outside? An inquiring mind wants to know.😜

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
The lip or rib should face away from the door opening. It appears the lip would actually seal tighter with air pressure at speed.

Floyd, what square foam seal are you referring to? The one that came with the trailer is open cell foam, and the bottom (threshold) is what failed in the first place. It didn't even make it home from Backus.

Tom
__________________
TomK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
The lip or rib should face away from the door opening. It appears the lip would actually seal tighter with air pressure at speed.

Floyd, what square foam seal are you referring to? The one that came with the trailer is open cell foam, and the bottom (threshold) is what failed in the first place. It didn't even make it home from Backus.

Tom
The gasket change at Scamp was long overdue.
I changed mine immediately after purchase almost eleven years ago.
The threshold gasket, like the omega gasket, was procured from local sources. (JCWhitney I think)
The threshold gasket I used is closed cell, dense and strong.
I don't have a part # but I will look for a source.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,443
Pictures???

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The gasket change at Scamp was long overdue.
I changed mine immediately after purchase almost eleven years ago.
The threshold gasket, like the omega gasket, was procured from local sources. (JCWhitney I think)
The threshold gasket I used is closed cell, dense and strong.
I don't have a part # but I will look for a source.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Pictures???
I just went out and took a few pics of the new gasket.
That board for a background was a mistake, maybe I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Pardon the interior, we are in the process of several more mods... piezo stove lighters, HD TV, LED DOT lights, plus getting ready for Sebring.
Click on the pics to get a better view maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0025.JPG   DSCF0026.JPG  

DSCF0028.JPG   DSCF0033.JPG  

DSCF0030.JPG   DSCF0032.JPG  

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 814
Good Job Floyd. I don't have access to our trailer until we pull it out of storage for the trip to Sebring, so I'll wait and change the seal then. It looks good. Without being able to see the threshold now, I'm not sure what I'll need until I do. It looks like the "Rib" lays flat and should work well. Scamp's R&D with the seal mfr. should help a lot of folks with seal problems.

Tom
__________________
TomK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
I installed an almost identical seal on my Boler and it is working great. I installed mine around the door lip (on the door) rather than around the door opening, the lip facing out. After the initial install the door needed a LOT of force to close, but by leaving the door closed for a few days after install it now opens and closes easily (sounds like a quality car door closing) and it seals perfectly.

I bought it through Vintage Trailer supply
Airstream Door Gasket

__________________

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Center Vinyl Rib for U-Hauls/Burro's FTTRV Commercial Posts and Products 4 07-08-2016 06:23 PM
U-Haul exterior rib Vinyl replacement (white) FTTRV Commercial Posts and Products 3 08-22-2013 08:24 PM
New door seal source? msinger919 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 08-03-2013 09:03 AM
Exterior Outer Rib Seal elilley Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 07-01-2013 11:00 AM
Prime Rib/ Porter house sherry loving o Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes 1 03-29-2009 09:12 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.