New Scamp Rib Door Seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
New Scamp Rib Door Seal

Scamp came up with a new door seal. I ordered one and it looks promising. It appears to collapse and form a seal easier than the "D" shaped seal they were supplying, and it's made of closed cell foam, so much better at keeping out rain than the open cell seals installed on recent trailers.

*New Rib Door Seal* : Rib Door Seal

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We started ten years ago with an "Omega" shaped seal which works fine, switched to the "D" shaped seal on subsequent installs, which was more attractive, even convinced Scamp to offer it aftermarket.
I see now Scamp has found what may be both an attractive and effective seal, worthy of original installation!!
A friend just bought a new Scamp with this new seal factory installed.

I think I will order one to replace the "Omega" seal on my trailer, and test it out!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Florida
I installed one on my Scamp 19, 1986 model. It fits much better but my door is bowed at the bottom so I added some severe weather stripping on top. The cabin is more sealed than before. I have to push on the door slightly when closing..a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Billy32303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

Michigan
That's good to hear Bill. A couple of us are bringing the new seal to Scamp Camp in Sebring for an unscheduled "Seal-a-Thon" event. Hoping for some nice warm weather.

Tom
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Registry
I installed the new flanged seal on EggySue yesterday. it looks great and appears to be the most effective seal yet. I still would not use it for the threshold though, the square solid closed cell foam is still best for that.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I installed the new flanged seal on EggySue yesterday. it looks great and appears to be the most effective seal yet. I still would not use it for the threshold though, the square solid closed cell foam is still best for that.

Thanks Floyd! for sharing that info as I was just going to ask about how the new stuff worked out on the threshold.

I have the D seal around the door and very happy with it but kept using the foam at the threshold but my pup decided to chew it up on last camping trip, wondered if I should switch it to the new stuff or stick to foam for the threshold.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
To those who have installed the new seal, which way did you orient the flap/flange? Facing inside or outside? An inquiring mind wants to know.😜

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I too have the D-seal with the closed-cell foam at the bottom. It rests against my alum. "kick plate" and I have had no issues with water with this setup. I havent ever really considered what I would replace the closed cell foam with when I do have to make a change.

Floyd....pics of the installation of the new seal??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Floyd! for sharing that info as I was just going to ask about how the new stuff worked out on the threshold.

I have the D seal around the door and very happy with it but kept using the foam at the threshold but my pup decided to chew it up on last camping trip, wondered if I should switch it to the new stuff or stick to foam for the threshold.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
To those who have installed the new seal, which way did you orient the flap/flange? Facing inside or outside? An inquiring mind wants to know.😜

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
The lip or rib should face away from the door opening. It appears the lip would actually seal tighter with air pressure at speed.

Floyd, what square foam seal are you referring to? The one that came with the trailer is open cell foam, and the bottom (threshold) is what failed in the first place. It didn't even make it home from Backus.

Tom
Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
The lip or rib should face away from the door opening. It appears the lip would actually seal tighter with air pressure at speed.

Floyd, what square foam seal are you referring to? The one that came with the trailer is open cell foam, and the bottom (threshold) is what failed in the first place. It didn't even make it home from Backus.

Tom
The gasket change at Scamp was long overdue.
I changed mine immediately after purchase almost eleven years ago.
The threshold gasket, like the omega gasket, was procured from local sources. (JCWhitney I think)
The threshold gasket I used is closed cell, dense and strong.
I don't have a part # but I will look for a source.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #11

Pictures???

Quote:
The gasket change at Scamp was long overdue.
I changed mine immediately after purchase almost eleven years ago.
The threshold gasket, like the omega gasket, was procured from local sources. (JCWhitney I think)
The threshold gasket I used is closed cell, dense and strong.
I don't have a part # but I will look for a source.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Pictures???
I just went out and took a few pics of the new gasket.
That board for a background was a mistake, maybe I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Pardon the interior, we are in the process of several more mods... piezo stove lighters, HD TV, LED DOT lights, plus getting ready for Sebring.
Click on the pics to get a better view maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0025.JPG   DSCF0026.JPG  

DSCF0028.JPG   DSCF0033.JPG  

DSCF0030.JPG   DSCF0032.JPG  

Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 AM   #13

Michigan
Good Job Floyd. I don't have access to our trailer until we pull it out of storage for the trip to Sebring, so I'll wait and change the seal then. It looks good. Without being able to see the threshold now, I'm not sure what I'll need until I do. It looks like the "Rib" lays flat and should work well. Scamp's R&D with the seal mfr. should help a lot of folks with seal problems.

Tom
Old 01-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I installed an almost identical seal on my Boler and it is working great. I installed mine around the door lip (on the door) rather than around the door opening, the lip facing out. After the initial install the door needed a LOT of force to close, but by leaving the door closed for a few days after install it now opens and closes easily (sounds like a quality car door closing) and it seals perfectly.

I bought it through Vintage Trailer supply
Airstream Door Gasket

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #15

Thanks Floyd! Looks good. I'd like to see it with the door closed. Does the lip protrude much past the door when it's closed? Just curious.

It looks like this seal "fans" out with that extra lip. I can see it would have GREATLY eliminated a problem I ran into with the stock D seal when there was a gap at the top!

Good stuff! Thanks for the installation pics. Also IAN, thanks for the link on yours as well. Scamp is charging $25 for theirs but it looks to be a bit larger and possibly longer since they say it will go around the entire door perimeter including the bottom!

This has been a MUCH-needed item on the Scamp.... better late than never.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Floyd! Looks good. I'd like to see it with the door closed. Does the lip protrude much past the door when it's closed? Just curious.

It looks like this seal "fans" out with that extra lip. I can see it would have GREATLY eliminated a problem I ran into with the stock D seal when there was a gap at the top!

Good stuff! Thanks for the installation pics. Also IAN, thanks for the link on yours as well. Scamp is charging $25 for theirs but it looks to be a bit larger and possibly longer since they say it will go around the entire door perimeter including the bottom!

This has been a MUCH-needed item on the Scamp.... better late than never.
It doesn't show at all with the door closed. Scamp was very generous with the gasket I had plenty left over.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #17

Michigan
Sounds good Floyd. Stop by site 026 at Scamp Camp and give me some moral support when I put our seal on.

Tom
Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

That will help keep the seal from "aging" if it's not over-exposed to the elements. I know mine is concealed for the most part behind the door.

Sounds like Scamp DEFINITELY has a winner with this seal. Now I'd like to see a NEW Scamp with it installed. I take it the "lip" is very flexible which is most likely the reason they will now install it at the factory on new trailers. Before, they were concerned (as per Kent Eveland) that the more stiff D-shaped seal could push out on a new door a bit causing problems after it fully cured. That's why they requested a few months of curing before installing the seal.

Quote:
It doesn't show at all with the door closed. Scamp was very generous with the gasket I had plenty left over.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
That will help keep the seal from "aging" if it's not over-exposed to the elements. I know mine is concealed for the most part behind the door.

Sounds like Scamp DEFINITELY has a winner with this seal. Now I'd like to see a NEW Scamp with it installed. I take it the "lip" is very flexible which is most likely the reason they will now install it at the factory on new trailers. Before, they were concerned (as per Kent Eveland) that the more stiff D-shaped seal could push out on a new door a bit causing problems after it fully cured. That's why they requested a few months of curing before installing the seal.
If I have any left over after installing mine, I'll send you a piece and let you know how it worked out Darral. It sounds encouraging so far.

Tom
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #20

Thanks buddy! Looking forward to Piney to see the installation and how well it works. I agree, I think you will like the seal! I'm not sure I wouldnt attempt it on the bottom as well and be done with it since they sent enough to do it. I will take the sample piece you send and just look it over to see if it would be a viable option to replace the bottom sponge seal. With my kickplate, there hasnt been an issue with the one that's installed though. (so maybe if it aint broke? )

I know you and your work and you wont have any problem with it Tom... Thanks for offering the sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
If I have any left over after installing mine, I'll send you a piece and let you know how it worked out Darral. It sounds encouraging so far.

Tom

Tags
scamp