New screen door! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Talking

I am at the finishing stages of building a folding screen door! Based on the plans that Donna sent me using the build your own screen materials from the hardware store and piano hinges. It was a bit more challenging than I first expected, and it has a few minor quirks, but I think it will work well for a while. I don't have any photos right now, but will add some in the morning. I am excited that I made this work after having several stumbling blocks. photo's and more details coming soon...
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
I am excited that I made this work after having several [b]stumbling blocks.
Don't you need those for your security system?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #3

Here are my photos... ignore the mess inside as we are under construction...

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_door_001.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	23074

Name:	screen_door_002.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	23075

Name:	screen_door_004.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	23076

So there you go... not perfect, but seems to work fine for us. I super glued magnets to the frame to hold it closed. Tried the sticky velcro, but it just peeled off in the heat.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Nifty!

And... under construction? What'cha doin? (Yeah, I love to see what people are doing to their eggs, particularly when the phrase "under construction" is used - but only if you want to show, of course.)

Re: the sticky Velcro. I have had basically no luck with the stuff that comes "pre-stickied." Even with proper prep it just peeled back off. In the end I had better luck with the "plain" Velcro and contact cement (or sewing, if on cloth).

Granted this was before they came out with some of the "marine" Velcro, which might have better "stick." But with a separate adhesive you know just what you're getting.

Magnets are an interesting idea though.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #5

We are about to install the upper cabinets, awning rail and the flip up tables for the front bunk. I will definitely keep you posted as we continue to upgrade our trailer. We are just starting to get "cooler" weather down here, so we should be getting more work done soon.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Very nice! Is the front frame for the screen door just screened? If so how did you make it. I have not put a screen door on the Boler because I don't care for having to put a solid wood piece for the door to close on. I have been thinking of making it of Plexiglas.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #7

Yes, Lizbeth, you are correct. I had a hard time trying to not only cut a piece of wood to fit that space by the door, but attaching it as well, once I realized the "bar" along the door frame was metal and hard to drill into. I got the idea after I messed up the piece of wood I was trying to cut. I had some spare pieces of screen frame that I attached to the side of the bunk and at the top of the door frame, and used the door trim to stretch the screen. Suddenly it was all clear that this would be a great solution to fill the spacer. The only problem I can see us having is being careful not to bend the screen frame that is attached to the bunk, or tearing the screen at some point of use. All is easily replaceable though if we do mess it up down the road. The only point I have not covered yet is how this screen door is going to ride once we get moving again. I am considering adding a small hook/loop latch to keep the door shut in transit.

Name:	screen_door_004.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	23122
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #8

Registry
So the wall side screen is held in place by the trim loc around the door!? Fabulous idea! Will you take a picture of the top inside for me?

You could back up the screen frame with a piece of 1"x1" to give it some support.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #9

More pictures...

Name:	screen_door_006.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	23182

This is the very top of my doorway from the inside. I added a strip of 1x2 wood at the top to attach my previous screen to. I screwed the screen frame to at the top as pictured. A small "L" bracket works good for this.

Name:	screen_door_007.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	23184

At the bottom I screwed it directly to the bench, and plan to replace the screw with a bolt so it will hold better. I wanted to keep this simple, so I just went with what I had on hand. I still have not come up with a "finishing" solution yet, so it will just have to look a little rough around the edges for a while.

Name:	screen_door_008.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	23185

I then secured the screen into the frame on the left, pulled back the door trim, and stretched the screen across, replacing the door trim over the screen to secure the other side of the screen. I am using soft screen, not aluminum, so I don't know how easily the aluminum screen will work for this method.

Name:	screen_door_009.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	23186

here is a close up of the door trim over the screen, I still plan to trim the excess with a sharp razor. I hope this helps, best of luck to ya!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #10

Registry
Thanks April! I think I see a screen door in the Boler's future!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #11

I would rate this as a level 2 in difficulty. If you have any experience stretching screen, it might be easier. I found that you have to be careful how much tension you put on the screen when you stretch it, it will cause the panel to warp if it is too tight, since it is so long and narrow. Also it's important to find screws that will fit and allow it to close down on itself, the only ones I could find that were short enough, stuck out slightly at the head, I had to stagger them, so that the screen will fold closed on itself with out the screw heads bumping into each other, keep the screen from folding down all the way. If you can find metal corners, I would suggest that you use those, the plastic ones work, but are flimsy and can break easily. Good luck! Let us know how yours works out if you decide to build one.