New solar install.... - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #211
Name: David
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Thanks Norm,

I installed two 40-watt panels straddling the hatch on the front of our Scamp 19. We're leaving MA in the morning for the TX coast and hope they'll power the furnace on the way. All interior lights are now LED. Your postings have been a big help in getting us this far. We just finished a folding table similar to yours.

Thanks again,

Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #212
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Save travels David

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #213
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Norm, do I understand correctly that this controller did not have a place to plug in a remote temp sensor cable? Just a sensor built into the case?

You wrote that you intended to run the entire load through the controller. Please explain what you mean. Did you rewire so the battery power must run through the controller before it reaches the trailer's existing 12v system? Was that very complicated to do? I assume this controller won't tell anything about usage unless this is done.

Normally the trailer battery will recharge somewhat from the tow vehicle while driving. If a solar panel is mounted on the roof and supplies power at the same time as the tow vehicle, I'm wondering if there are any issues/conflicts with the dual sources?

What gauge wire did you end up using?

I'm considering buying this controller off ebay, and a 60 or so watt solar panel from solar blvd. Thanks for all the info you've shared.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote