New Stove ( almost ) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
They list things of all sizes. I read on another site that stove tops were a problem because of the flames doing something to the powder coating.
Bobbie
Must be a problem with the flame...it sure isn't because of the heat...it's not unusual for hotrodders to have headers and manifolds powder coated and them suckers get HOT!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft 1971 Boler
Send a message via MSN to Natalie M.
Oh I love this RED stove top. So glad to hear of a solution, I'm going to look into Powder Coating for my stove top and sink. I spraypainted them both, and the stove has been fine, just a bit scratched but the sink started peeling apart and looks awful now.

Thanks for that Karen!

View our boler updates: www.geocities.com/cauzmicboler
Natalie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
THAT does it!!!!
I have the Trailer Goddess' O.K. to take our stovetop out to Mission tomorrow and get 'coated' too.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 13 ft 1971 Boler
Send a message via MSN to Natalie M.
Quote:
THAT does it!!!!
I have the Trailer Goddess' O.K. to take our stovetop out to Mission tomorrow and get 'coated' too.....

Hey Doug, What is the name/location of the place you're taking it to in Mission? I live in Maple Ridge, so that woul work for me too.
Natalie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #25

Registry
I forget the name right now (seniors moment ) but I think its on London Ave.
(32851 London Ave.) in one of those strip warehouse mall complexes, west of Lordco.

There is a carpet store first up on the corner (left side) as you drive into the complex. Its located next door to (possibly) the best chrome platting shop in the lower mainland just in case you need any 'bright work' done, BTW!!!!

P.S.
you've got mail.....
Old 04-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #26

Registry
HEADS UP PEOPLE!!

I just returned from my powder coating people 'WestCoast Metal Finishers' with my stovetop parts ALL in hand. They advised me (as I suspected) that powdercoating these pieces might just be a waste of my $$$. They told me that the way to go with any (other than factory finish) finish on these pieces is to use Ceramic Coating, NOT powder coating. ....Yes the curing process is heat (bake oven) activated but that temperature is only about 400 degrees. Thats why (IF your wife doesn't mind) and you have the right equipment you can do this at home

Heat generated by the flame of a propane cook top can/does far surpass that temperature. I HAVE had the custom exhaust headers on one of my hot rods ceramic coated AND polished, so they look like chrome (close enough for the girls I go out with any way

They told me that the coating would probably very soon just start crumbling and flaking off, meaning another 'chore' to contend with.....
Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #27

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
I seem to remember that a chrome plate or nickle was going to be about $100+ for a stovetop. I went with an all new one (stainless) from Suburban for about $150. I might get tired of some color in a while. I did spuluge and get the hinged ss top cover too.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #28

Registry
....and yet further to my above post, just tonight on the B B tube I saw a commercial for stovetop clensers and they were saying that (gas) stovetops 'average' temp is 300 degrees. (note: this is LESS than the req'd 400 degrees to cure powdercoating!)

So I guess it boils down to who you believe/trust. Another car-buddy from Vale OR tells me that P/Coating a stovetop is the only way to go (to freshen up that area). He goes on to tell me that he has had the frame of one of his cars powdercoated and LOVES it. So, ....tell me, HOW does a powdercoated frame relate to a stovetop????
Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't stand not having a definitive answer on the stove top powder coat idea. I've just joined the forum over at Eastwood (the premier powder coating folks) and will ask if powder coating is appropriate. Soon as I hear...I'll let y'all know
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #30

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
someone needs to measure the heat coming from the cooktop surface to know whether it can support powdercoating. household stoves, ovens and burner grates are all porcelain covered (aka stove enamel). porcelain is a baked on finish similar to powdercoat but it can withstand higher temps.

chrome is used as a cooktop surface or even as a griddle surface on vintage stoves - griddles only get up to about 400-425 degrees though.

that's about all i can add from my stove and motorscooter restoration knowledge
Mark Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #31

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
someone needs to measure the heat coming from the cooktop surface to know whether it can support powdercoating. household stoves, ovens and burner grates are all porcelain covered (aka stove enamel). porcelain is a baked on finish similar to powdercoat but it can withstand higher temps.

chrome is used as a cooktop surface or even as a griddle surface on vintage stoves - griddles only get up to about 400-425 degrees though.

that's about all i can add from my stove and motorscooter restoration knowledge
An engine only gets to about 220ish degrees at its hottest (the coolant thermostat is set to 180F usually).. That's the right range anyway... That's why people can powder coat valve covers and not have to use high-heat paint on the block... Headers and exhaust manifolds, however, can get up to 1200F which is why those parts get ceramic coated. Powder coating is really just tiny tiny plastic beads (dust basically) that are sprayed on to the item in question. The item is connected to a high voltage electrical source and the gun is the other side. The dust is attracted to the item due to electrostatic forces. The item is then baked at 400F-ish to melt the plastic beads together to result in the powdercoat finish you admire...

The flame from a propane burner is much much hotter than 400F and so will burn the plastic when it comes into contact with it. Not to mention the heat of the flame reflected back off the bottom of your kettle onto the plastic.

Powder Coating a stove top is not the right answer.

I don't know what colors, if any, they can do with ceramic coating but that would be the right answer, as far as that technology goes.

Frankly, I think you can have your stovetop chromed for about the same amount of money as powder coating...
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #32

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
ceramic coating comes in limited colors (chrome, blue, red, black) but they may not be the depth you desire. ceramic coating can stain though - i've had this problem on manifolds and exhausts and still haven't found a way to get them out.

i would use porcelain enamel or chrome

this is who i have used for ceramics several times
http://www.performancecoatings.com/
Mark Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote