New Table Arrangment - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #1

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
The thread got lost about the new math of Lowes and why I wanted 1x 6s in a 32 inch length.

If I was so motivated, I would type out the whole amusing story, but instead, I will just show you the end result.

One of my biggest annoyances about the Burro was that almost 50% of the useable floor space was rendered unusable because the table was so large, and the "seat" in the rear of the trailer served no useful purpose other than providing a hard to get to storage cubby.

My first solution was to move the table pedestal BACK as far as I could and move the table socket forward as far as I could to scoot most of the table back over the rear seat.

This worked for awhile, but was still not exactly to my liking. Now, the table had to stay as it was the support for the center of the bed. It was heavy and hard to pull apart daily. I like a table tho, so I did not have a desire to make the bed a full time thing.

I found a clever table at the RV show made by Spiderlegs folding tables. I stared for abit and got an idea, so I bought the small TV Dinner, Computer model.

You can read detailed instructions about how it collapses on the websight. EZ PZ and very LIGHT weight.

After removing the big table and hardware, here is how I use the table .. AS a table that 3 people can sit at. (Walla! A use for the useless rear seat! Tho I have it set up for just two, all you need to do is move the table forward to fit 3)
Attached Thumbnails
table_up.jpg  

Old 11-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #2

West Coast USA
Registry
Where the 1 xs fit in.

They are stored under my bedding, which is an oversized mountaineering bag, folded LENGTHWISE across the back cushions and covered with a (Pay attention Pete) Fluffy.

One gets put in the rear of the table slot and one in front. I collapse the table by pushing 3 catches (easy to do) and let the lengthwise edges rest on the 1 xs.

The cushions in the slip covers you see are memory foam and they fit across the whole width (Front to back) of the support area. I get a larger than single, but slightly smaller than double this way.

The Fluffy gets rolled down, the bag folds out on top of it, and woo hoo! Bed time in less than 30 seconds, with no foul language or manhandling of equipmet.

The "gaps" and slight elevation difference you see are not noticable at all, the cushions are so thick they easily support themselves in this small space.
Attached Thumbnails
1x32s.jpg  

Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #3

West Coast USA
Registry
Don't want the table there at all? Completly collapse it and now you have an end table of sorts, or pick it up and carry it outside. This is how small it collapses to.
Attached Thumbnails
sidetable.jpg  
Old 11-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #4

West Coast USA
Registry
You now have a small U shaped seating area, or two twin beds for children If one adult sleeps on the gaucho.

The best part about this whole arrangement? My dogs do NOT feel unloved.. there is enough room for me AND them.

Everyone is happy all around!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Gina, that looks great!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Beautiful, yes, but not only that, Gina, it's absolutely BRILLIANT!
...........Your point, that is, about the Burro back bench seating being unnecessary, if not a waste of floor space, because its so smallishimo if there's only two persons in residence like us (plus dogs,) hit me like a brick.

I am reading your post and suddenly it's like -- OF COURSE! -- Why didn't I see the same thing? That back bench does steal floor space. Are not those little hatches minor if not super-fu-los?. Since I am in the middle of a big re-hab, now I got to re-think my plans and consider similar changes in mind, before I install the new (big-heavy) dinette table I just built.

HMMM.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:55 PM   #7

West Coast USA
Registry
Myron,

The pics of my first mod by pushing the table back are eluding me, but I found one that gives a good example of it.

You can see the pedestal sock is up against the rear seat. Then the table socket was moved as far forward as it could and still keep reasonable balnce. It wouldn't go back anymore anyway due to the rear wall. The sleeping bag gives added support as well.

The NEW mod doesn't really gain me any floor space, I still end up with a two seater table, but as mentioned, I can now fit 3 with one on the rear seat. I also loose around 10lbs and GAIN easy access to that cubby. All I keep back there are the most raely used items, and I have plenty of space in there, so I can move some things out of my overly crowded other storage facilities and access them without tearing the whole back end of the trailer apart to get to them.

Two seater table is just fine. I have not had more than that for meals, and it would be rare indeed that I ever would have more.

If so, the spare tire cover in the back of the Element is also a table, That can be brought in if need be.

BUT, for the most part, folks can eat on thier laps. It's CAMPING!!!
Attached Thumbnails
newseat.jpg  
Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
The new table looks terrific. It even appears to be sturdier than the original. How do you keep it in place when towing "The Shady Bush II"?
Nice presentation-explanation of your latest mod.
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:09 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great job Gina! Is the little fan under your new table a heater or a fan? Brand? Just curious.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gina,

I have the same brand and size trailer as you. And, I also came to the conclusion (instantly as soon as I brought it home) that the factory design of the table was basically useless. I could not even get around it to sit down and I only weigh 165 pounds! My thoughts are to shift it back as far as it will go as you did. It makes sense since no third person could have used the back seat with their design anyway.

Also, I have removed the factory bunk set up in the front of the trailer to build a larger couch/daybed. The factory design of it was also flawed unless you were one of the little people in The Wizard of Oz. I built a one piece 3/4" plywood mattress support that hangs over/cantilevered 4" further into the kitchen area. It has metal trim on the edge that is not sharp, and will not cut you. It is bolted to the fiberglass bench/storage frame. I am having a foam mattress built that fills the contour of the complete seating area with the additional overhang. It looks huge compared to what was originally there. Now, an adult can sleep in that space, and during the day I can snooze there not having to take the table down in the rear of the trailer.

This design did protrude a bit into the reefer door area but I was installing a new Ice box so I just moved it a bit to the side as there was plenty of room to do so. Now the front seating/bed space actually works! Because I can no longer get into the storage area from the top, I cut a new opening on each side of the bench sides for access. I do not have a porta-potty so I can bend down and access those areas fairly easy. Bending is good for you anyway!!

Gary
Old 11-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #11

West Coast USA
Registry
Kurt, it just stays there in the up position. With all thats packed around it, it stays put just fine.

Elsie, thats an Endless breeze fan. I put a label over the original that came torn, and now I always know which end is the Blow side

Quote:
unless you were one of the little people in The Wizard of Oz.
Well, I am, so it works for me!

Good idea tho, especially if you are One. you can have a bed and the table set up too!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Gary - You mod sounds great. Start a new thread - we'd like to pictures, please!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Cloud
Michigan
Registry
Do you have pics of the front bench mod? I too am not one of the little people. Would like to see what you have done.

thanks

Quote:
Gina,

I have the same brand and size trailer as you. And, I also came to the conclusion (instantly as soon as I brought it home) that the factory design of the table was basically useless. I could not even get around it to sit down and I only weigh 165 pounds! My thoughts are to shift it back as far as it will go as you did. It makes sense since no third person could have used the back seat with their design anyway.

Also, I have removed the factory bunk set up in the front of the trailer to build a larger couch/daybed. The factory design of it was also flawed unless you were one of the little people in The Wizard of Oz. I built a one piece 3/4" plywood mattress support that hangs over/cantilevered 4" further into the kitchen area. It has metal trim on the edge that is not sharp, and will not cut you. It is bolted to the fiberglass bench/storage frame. I am having a foam mattress built that fills the contour of the complete seating area with the additional overhang. It looks huge compared to what was originally there. Now, an adult can sleep in that space, and during the day I can snooze there not having to take the table down in the rear of the trailer.

This design did protrude a bit into the reefer door area but I was installing a new Ice box so I just moved it a bit to the side as there was plenty of room to do so. Now the front seating/bed space actually works! Because I can no longer get into the storage area from the top, I cut a new opening on each side of the bench sides for access. I do not have a porta-potty so I can bend down and access those areas fairly easy. Bending is good for you anyway!!

Gary