New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #155

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
That's some serious money. I guess you'll be keeping this rig for a while.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #156

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
That's some serious money. I guess you'll be keeping this rig for a while.
I hope so. I don't see much choice, really. The only way to get it cheaper is to go with poor fabric. I really don't want fabric in a camper, same with carpet.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #157

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe I shouldn't tell you about the whoppin' I got for putting a hot clothing iron down on a formica counter top when I was a kid... laminate is NOT tile.

Just about anything can melt or distort. Maybe this should be an "education" moment?
That's why I said "heat resistant" rather than "heat proof". Laminate will withstand momentary contact with, say a hot pan, a drip of candle wax, or other similar brief encounters with hot objects.

In most cases, vinyl won't!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #158

Registry
Go to ebay and type in RV cushions. Several will come up. Our Scamps are 43" long by 23" wide. You can pick up some really nice cushions for under $150 shipped and then modify them to fit the curves. Just another option.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #159

Kansas
Quote:
Go to ebay and type in RV cushions. Several will come up. Our Scamps are 43" long by 23" wide. You can pick up some really nice cushions for under $150 shipped and then modify them to fit the curves. Just another option.
I already put the down payment on it. I don't want fabric, anyway. I should mention, the $1200 is EVERYTHING. Benches, couch, bed.

I found myself locked out of the camper, the handle wouldn't move. I ended up taking the door off the hinges to get it open.

The catch was sitting at a goofy angle. I drilled the spot welds off to open it up.

The guide for the catch was only spot welded on one side, and it bent, allowing the catch to jam in the housing.

I straightened the guide out and fully welded it. It's ugly, I still have flux core in the welder. I have to cut out and remove a rear crossmember on the camper to make room for the new gray water tank, so I didn't want to change the wire. It won't bend again.

Spot welded again.

All pretty.

I wasted too much time fixing it, but I couldn't wait a week for a latch. Oh well, it's better than new, anyway.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #160

Registry
Won't happen again.

I spent almost $400 for a nice memory foam mattress so $1200 is probably not too bad for everything. I thought you were just talking dinette.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #161

Kansas
Well, since the handle made it too late to mess with the grey water tank, I worked on lighting.

I ditched all ten yellow/fake brown wood grain 12v lights and installed new white lights. They're all wired in, and the ones that could be installed with screws are done. I don't have the right size pop rivets for the rest.

Here's the reading lights.

All the lights are much brighter, even swapping the same bulbs in. They must have better reflectors.

I accidentally erased the picture of the other lights, so here's one of the help. She has a thing for sinks…

Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #162

Registry
I'd talk to her about leaving her beer bottles and caps all over the place, plus waking up in the sink hmmmmmmmm; not saying but could be signs of a problem.

Still love that backsplash, what is Menards?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #163

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
Jared: I have had a 19 over a year. I am glad your lock broke (not) but it showed me a way to lock my door from inside. It made no sense why there was no lock from the inside. I will be drilling my lock for that pin soon. thank you Rob
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #164

Kansas
Quote:
I'd talk to her about leaving her beer bottles and caps all over the place, plus waking up in the sink hmmmmmmmm; not saying but could be signs of a problem.

Still love that backsplash, what is Menards?
It's like lowes/home depot.

ACP Waves Backsplash Panel at Menards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Vista View Post
Jared: I have had a 19 over a year. I am glad your lock broke (not) but it showed me a way to lock my door from inside. It made no sense why there was no lock from the inside. I will be drilling my lock for that pin soon. thank you Rob
No problem. I'm assuming it was factory on mine, I didn't do it. Honestly, I'm glad it broke now. That would have been a huge problem out camping, and trying to get it home like that.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #165

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp 19
California
Jared :Yes unless you put the beer in a cooler outside. Rob
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #166

Kansas
Finally a beautiful day!!!

I got the floor out, I used a dremel multimax to cut the fiberglass flanges off the top. The screws were rusted and hidden, so I just pried the floor loose from underneath.

I was too lazy to pull the fifth wheel and toolbox out of the truck, so I took the car for new 3/4" treated plywood. The old piece was worse than I thought, the camper was sagging at the back.

I cut the crossmember out to make room for a new gray water tank (40ish gallon), and cut off all the screws. I also cut the bottom fiberglass flange out, as it was in bad shape.

The fiberglass sprung all out of whack, so after a few hours of fighting, I got the new floor screwed down.

Now I need to decide what gray water tank I'm using. I don't want to fiberglass the floor in until I get the crossmember in and the floor screwed to it. I need to know the tank size before I put a new crossmember in. I'm also putting extensions on the outside of the frame rails to help support the twin 20 gallon fresh water tanks, so the floor isn't just supported by the fiberglass.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #167

Kansas
Here's the new lights vs old. I can't believe piss yellow and fake wood grain was ever in style…

Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #168

Registry
Wow! I really could've put a big new fridge up through the floor.

I finally started making some headway on mine and will have pictures soon. Yesterday I tore out the back benches then the pretty, "NOT", orange carpet. Took a clue from Jared and used a square front shovel to scrap out the remains of the stuck on foam. Today I tore out the curbside cabinet and the old electric hot water heater. I'm glad I did as there was rust from the heater tank rusting through all over underneath. 30 years old what did I expect. I thought there were screws under those acorn nuts surrounding the cabinet and was surprised to see that the nuts were put on top of rivets. I ended up having to chisel them all off.

Tags
scamp