New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #169

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Jared & Steve
I sold my 2004 5r last week while on vacation in Fla. Looks like I will also be doing a little updating my 1985 5er. I had only used my 85 for winter hunting trips since it had no real plumbing or tanks. Other than the plumbing the 85 is in fairly good shape. Later this week I will pull it out of the back of the barn and make a list of things to do to it. The first thing is to replace the front and rear window seals. Looks like I will be paying more attention to this thread.
Eddie

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #170

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Jared & Steve
I sold my 2004 5r last week while on vacation in Fla. Looks like I will also be doing a little updating my 1985 5er. I had only used my 85 for winter hunting trips since it had no real plumbing or tanks. Other than the plumbing the 85 is in fairly good shape. Later this week I will pull it out of the back of the barn and make a list of things to do to it. The first thing is to replace the front and rear window seals. Looks like I will be paying more attention to this thread.
Eddie

I was visiting with Kamper Bob last weekend at Quartzite. There were 5 Scamp 5ers there, mine being the oldest. I mentioned to Kamper Bob that I was going to remove my front window because we never use it, it is drafty, and is basically uncomfortable. He then showed me a piece of fiberglass that he got from his visit to the Scamp plant and stated that he was going to remove his window as well. He currently has his covered with insulation and rat fur so you would never know there was a window there from the inside. As a side note he also told me that mine was the first and only front window slider that he had ever seen. I can't wait to get rid of it. I am going to incorporate the bug screen into the body with fiberglass making it permanent. Other than Bob's none of the other 5ers had front windows.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #171

Virginia
I have a 82 Scamp 16 with a front slider. When I went to the factory with another Scamp for an axle swap I asked about the front slider on my 16. They said they never installed a front slider on a trailer. I kept a 1/2 piece of foam I clamped between the gravel shield and the front window and it was fairly water tight.
The older 5er's had front windows, at some point they quit installing them. After the fire the molds were changed to round out the nose and there is no indention for the front window.
Eddie
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #172

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm pretty sure mine has a front slider, I'll have to check now. I've never really paid much attention.

It's down to these three tanks, I'll have to mock them up and see which one will work the best, hopefully tomorrow.

42 x 32 x 10-1/2 Holding Tank 50 Gallon 15-H472

45 x 22 x 10-1/2 Holding Tank 36 Gallon 15-H363

Ameri-Kart ABS Recessed End Drain 38 Gallon RV Holding Tank - End Drain - Permanent Holding Tanks - Black Water Tanks - Plumbing

I'm leaning towards the last one. I'm missing a fresh water tank from an order I placed from them several weeks ago though. I sent them an email, we'll see how that goes, first.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #173

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Jared & Steve
Eddie
My windows need new seals, also. I haven't figure that part out yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #174

Registry
The main reason for getting rid of the front window is comfort. As poorly insulated as the body is it is still insulated much better than the old glass. It isn't much of a problem for me but my poor gal has had to squeeze into that location between 3 huge windows and last weekend in the chill at Quartzite was the last straw.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #175

Virginia
For winter camping in the older 5er I line the upper deck with reflectix. I had several rolls of reflectix left over from construction of my pole barn. I cut one roll down to the height of the upper deck. I stand it on end unroll it and it lines the entire upper deck walls and windows. The cushons hold it at the bottom and you can attach to the curtain rod holders if needed. When it is cold and dark the silver finish does not really matter. It also cuts out the light during the day if you want to take a nap. I my newer 5er I had two pieces of reflectix I stood on end behind the curtains and the curtains held it in place. I stored those under the upper deck cushons until needed.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #176

Registry
Mine will be gone, as soon as I can get to it. Right now all my stuff is stored up in the loft while I tear up the lower section. On top of all the aforementioned problems the latches are not "rust proof" and the rust runs down everywhere and was a real pain getting it out of the gel coat.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #177

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Rust stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Mine will be gone, as soon as I can get to it. Right now all my stuff is stored up in the loft while I tear up the lower section. On top of all the aforementioned problems the latches are not "rust proof" and the rust runs down everywhere and was a real pain getting it out of the gel coat.
The best thing I've found to remove rust streaks from gelcoat is Rust Stripper by Rustoleum.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #178

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
The best thing I've found to remove rust streaks from gelcoat is Rust Stripper by Rustoleum.
I wish I had known that when I was looking for the ultimate rust remover. Believe it or not the best thing was a crushed up vitamin c pill mixed in a bit of water, just enough to wet it.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #179

Kansas
I would think naval jelly would work well also.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #180

Registry
hmmmm
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #181

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I would think naval jelly would work well also.

I'm talking deep deep rust stain that rubbing compound, barkeepers friend, CLR, etc wouldn't touch.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #182

Kansas
Well, the next few days are supposed to be bad weather, so I pulled all the doors off the cabinets so I could get them inside to prime them.

While I was there, I spent an hour shuffling things around, trying to figure out how to fit it all in. I think it's close.

I'll have to put a new fill port on the tank, and make a plate to block off the old water filler on the camper. The stock location won't work at all, and the fill port would have to be in the taillight to use the one on the tank. Oh well.

I also think I can squeeze the new electrical box in there.

Tags
scamp