New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #241

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
"The water heater isn't wired in yet, I'm waiting on a custom matching engraved brushed aluminum 12v Water pump and 120v Water heater switch panel with green LED's."

Nice, I need to replace my pump switch as it somehow got in the way when I removed the cabinets.

As usual damn nice work!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #242

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jared
Good to get pictures. My cabinet beside the frig. was cut out at the bottom and I was not sure if it was suppose to be like that. Yours look just like mine.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #243

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Check all you water fittings on your water heater, hate to see a leak ruin your new converter.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #244

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I see you're a member of the ground-up school when it comes to outlet orientation, Jared!
This was a subject of much discussion between My Beloved and me during our major building phase...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #245

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I see you're a member of the ground-up school when it comes to outlet orientation, Jared!
This was a subject of much discussion between My Beloved and me during our major building phase...

Francesca
Yep! My dad does it the other way, who knows. The NEC doesn't require them to be one way, except in hospitals, which is ground up.

I put the bench outlet in. I also ended up switching to light almond outlets with chrome trim, the others will go in my house. They just didn't go with the 50's theme to me.

Junction box:

I just need to hook up the wire for the bunk/bench outlets to the converter, and the ac side will be done (until the water heater panel shows up).

The electrical inspector:

She loves the camper, she gets pissy when it's time to go back to the house.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #246

Registry
Looking good! Are you running some of the wires under the rig?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #247

Kansas
No, it's all inside. It's a time consuming pain, but oh well. I haven't tacked the wires down, because it's nice to move them around at the moment. When everything else is done, I'll staple them.

The 12V side will be interesting, there are 4-5 wires on the converter, no idea what they're for. I think I'll do it the redneck way, power everything up, then start cutting wires and see what quits.

The battery is also shot, I think. I haven't put my load tester on it yet, but the lights are very dim when the converter is off. It sat outside in the driveway for part of winter, then it's been hooked up with that old converter running 24/7 overcharging it. I kind of expected it, I wasn't going to buy a new one until the new converter was all up and running, no point killing a new battery. I might do twin batteries if there's time.

This coming weekend is supposed to be beautiful out. I'm hoping to tack weld in the floor supports, the new crossmember, pull the floor, finish weld all of it, por-15 the exposed frame, put the wood down with some adhesive to keep it off the frame, and fiberglass it in...hopefully I can get that done in 3 days.

The new crossmember will make room for the new gray water tank. I need to do some measuring, and make a drawing to show them where to install the fittings for me. This is the gray water tank I'm using: 42 x 32 x 10-1/2 Holding Tank 50 Gallon 15-H472
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #248

Registry
You've done a ton to that thing it should be better than new. I'm betting you're looking forward to that first trip? Where are you going?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #249

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
You've done a ton to that thing it should be better than new. I'm betting you're looking forward to that first trip? Where are you going?
William O'Brien State Park: Minnesota DNR

I'm hoping to get it done in time to get it out for one weekend before that, we'll see. I probably won't have the propane tanks, though. They're in Minnesota.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #250

Registry
Just use one of your old tanks or steal one from the bbq for the weekend.

You can always camp in your yard to try it out. Have you slept in it yet?

O'Brian looks like a nice place, what are you going to be doing there?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #251

Kansas
Yeah, I think my grill has a new style tank, I haven't looked yet. I'm pretty sure I just exchanged it last year, so it should be.

I haven't slept in it yet. I would like to try it out, but I have to get it back together somewhat first, too much junk all over the place. I still have to replace the bunk carpeting, too. I haven't decided if I'm doing vinyl or new carpet up there.

I also need to get door sizes to dad so he can start making them, and go get paint matched. So much to do, so little time.

Other than the exterior, it will be better than new in every aspect. Better electrical, better water system, upholstery, and better looking inside (IMHO).

For the bathroom door, I'm trying to find that old 50's style swinging diner door diamond pattern polished metal to put on it, along with a fake window.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #252

Registry

Get some stainless look contact paper and trim it out so it stays put. Then maybe use a piece of mirror as your window and frame it in. The mirror would then have a dual purpose.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #253

Kansas
I might do that, steve. I would like real metal, but that might be too picky.

This converter install is really annoying me with the crappy instructions.

The a/c side was fine, the dc side is really bogus.

1. There are no provisions to running a hot wire to the "120v hot" bus, to power the wire going to the converter. It also doesn't say if it's supposed to be on a circuit breaker. I'm hoping not, but thinking so. I might have to rearrange circuits then. I already have all 6 in use. *Sigh*

2. It doesn't say what gauge wire to run to the battery. I ordered 8 and 12 gauge marine wire to do it, and now that I consult the chart (great idea to do it after, right?), it looks like I should have 4 gauge for a 14' run. Argggh.

3. It also doesn't say if it should have a circuit breaker by the battery, I would guess it should.

They really need to get better instructions.

I have it temporarily wired so it's running off the pd4045, so I could ditch the boat anchor of the old converter. I'm already liking having all the lights on one switch.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #254

Registry
One of the posters on this board has installed several of the pd4045's. I'd start a new thread and have people walk you through it. No use reinventing the wheel. (plus I'm going to need that info also)LOL.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #255

Registry
PS Cute kitty.

I stole the "battery/convertor" switch out of my old boat anchor convertor before I chucked it. I'm sure I'll find a re-purpose for it down the road. Those heavy switches are pricey.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #256

Kansas
I'm actually going to keep mine. I'm going to add some leads and alligator clips to it, and use it as a small 12v power supply for testing things.

I just ordered new tail lights. I'm still on the prowl for a license plate light, and backup lights I like.

These are 38-39 Lincoln Zephyr led tail lights.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #257

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

These are 38-39 Lincoln Zephyr led tail lights.
Cool!

Trust Lincoln to think of LED's years ahead of everyone else!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #258

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I do not think the original's were LED, they are retro-fitted. Cool looking though, I remember the ones with the little blue light in the middle, deemed illegal later on when each state's rules came under the Fed's regulations in the 50's.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #259

Registry
Nice lights, I had picked out something similar, they were generic teardrop lights and I could have also had tear drop side marker lights. I decided not to yet because the side marker lights were like $12 each and I couldn't justify the bucks for something I really don't need. I might change my mind though.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #260

Kansas
Well, pd's customer service makes up for what the instructions lack.

The converter 120v wire needs to be on a 15 amp breaker, so I have some residing to do.

The battery wire needs to be rated for full amperage, they won't give size due to liability. So, I just ordered some 4 gauge wire, I'll have to get a breaker, also. *sigh*. Anybody need some 8 gauge?

Tags
scamp