New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 14 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #183

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post

I'm talking deep deep rust stain that rubbing compound, barkeepers friend, CLR, etc wouldn't touch.
Naval jelly is a rust remover, never tried it on fiberglass, though. Evapo-rust might work also. It does wonders on metal.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #184

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
You could put it in the middle of the back that is currently open. Then make your dinette with U shaped seating. It's a popular modification and easy. You just have to shorten your table, but the water weight would be a lot more evenly distributed.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #185

Registry
My Bad, I just noticed that you have 2 big fresh water tanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #186

Kansas
Quote:
My Bad, I just noticed that you have 2 big fresh water tanks.
Yep, and later on, I'm modifying the back of it for a huge hatch to get all my kayaks inside.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #187

Registry
Is this big enough for kayaks?

New RV Camper Trailer Hatch Baggage Storage Door Taupe Tan 36" x 18" 36x18 Locks

Time left: 27d 18h left3/20, 1PM $64.95
Buy It Now

Free shipping
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #188

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'll have to put a new fill port on the tank, and make a plate to block off the old water filler on the camper. The stock location won't work at all, and the fill port would have to be in the taillight to use the one on the tank. Oh well.
I mounted the same door water at the same level. Hindsight is 20/20. It's not worth moving now but if I did the mod again I'd place it differently. Go forward under one of the base cabinets and high enough so sloshing water can't escape the vent. Six inches might be enough. A foot should definitely do the trick.

It'd take a longer fill neck tube. And it'd be one side of the other near the middle not the end. So for filling at dump stations the road side seems better.

Others have gone double tanks with separate fills. I honestly wonder how that works. If both are connected they must equalize eventually. A second fill on the other side could offer more flexibility. Maybe at home one's driveway is such that curb side would be easier for example.

Just a few cents to noodle over...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #189

Kansas
I wanted to move it higher. The problem is, the water heater prevents it on one side, and the fridge does on the other. I *may* be able to weasel it around the water heater, but the old breaker box has to be moved first to find out. If it has to stay where it is, I was going to use the filling adapter on a hose, to reach right into the tank for filling. I was going to run the vent hose from the tank, under the cabinet to the top of it, then back down and out to the vent.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #190

Somewhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I wanted to move it higher. The problem is, the water heater prevents it on one side, and the fridge does on the other. I *may* be able to weasel it around the water heater, but the old breaker box has to be moved first to find out. If it has to stay where it is, I was going to use the filling adapter on a hose, to reach right into the tank for filling. I was going to run the vent hose from the tank, under the cabinet to the top of it, then back down and out to the vent.
We're in the same boat. The standard layout with low base cabinets ahead of the dinette is great for openness and counter space. But as you pointed out it limits some wiring and plumbing considerations. I gave my breather line a generous extension loop which limits sloshing somewhat but adding a head-trap would be even better. (I did notch the seat brace in order to mount the fill door an inch higher. It would've been even sloshy-er if I hadn't.) Rock on!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #191

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
We're in the same boat. The standard layout with low base cabinets ahead of the dinette is great for openness and counter space. But as you pointed out it limits some wiring and plumbing considerations. I gave my breather line a generous extension loop which limits sloshing somewhat but adding a head-trap would be even better. (I did notch the seat brace in order to mount the fill door an inch higher. It would've been even sloshy-er if I hadn't.) Rock on!
Do they make tanks with baffles in them?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #192

Kansas
Quote:
Do they make tanks with baffles in them?
Not that I've found. I think with running the vent hose under the sink cabinet, and up to the top of it, then back down and out to the water fill, it should stop it. We'll see. Worst comes to worst, it won't lose that much. The main reason I want it high is because of the 20 gallon tank on the other side. If the camper is sitting crooked, I don't want it draining the left 20 gallon tank into the right 20 gallon tank, and pushing it out the vent. I'm going to tee the two tank vents together, before it runs up under the cabinet.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #193

Somewhere USA
I'm not aware of water tanks with baffles either. (If Tank Depot didn't have them, who would?)

Dual 20 gallon tanks? Wow!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #194

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
An option for tank filling is to tee into the pump suction line (between the tank and pump inlet) with a line to a "city water inlet" in the trailer wall. You would only be able to fill from a pressurized source (no pouring in from a jug), but the inlet can be at any height; this is the solution in my motorhome to having a slideout over the fresh water tank which makes a gravity fill port impractical. A single inlet can be used for both filling the tank and using a campsite's water service directly, with a diverter valve; this is the configuration in my motorhome.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #195

Kansas
Upholstery is back! I'm very happy with it. Thank god it turned out right. I temporarily threw the benches and table in, to see how it all looked.

I decided all the doors and the fridge will be a matching green, and the fiberglass will be left alone, if I can polish it up nice. I might even floor polish it.

My dad offered to make new cabinet doors, I might take him up on that. I think he's bored.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #196

Registry
Looks nice! What was the final tally? You mentioned earlier that by reusing your old foam it was going to be considerably cheaper, was that the case? Great job anyhow.

Tags
scamp