New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #197

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Looks nice! What was the final tally? You mentioned earlier that by reusing your old foam it was going to be considerably cheaper, was that the case? Great job anyhow.
It was $1200+tax, the new foam would have been $4-500 more. Expensive, but high quality vinyl that's easy to clean and will last for years. They did a great job.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #198

Kansas
I've been working 12 hour days, so I haven't done much. I took today off, and spent way too long trying to figure out where to stuff everything. The converter is giving the most problems with logistics. I think I have it figured out, providing I can install it upside down. I have an email in to progressive dynamics to see what they say about it. This will let me use the existing main power cord and AC wire. The ac wire is under the ensolite (wall covering), so I don't want to have to mess with it. The main power cord could be replaced, I would just prefer to avoid buying another section of it. The rest of the romex/12v wiring I don't mind replacing. the old converter was on the opposite side of the camper from the breaker box (logical), so I have to extend all the 12v wiring, anyway.

I cut a section out of the water heater support, and with some additional trimming of the support, and the fiberglass front, The PD4045 converter/breaker/fuse panel/battery charger will fit great there, but it has to be upside down. If I flip it the other way, the wheel well doesn't give the fan much room to breathe. Hopefully they'll say it's ok, I can't imagine what the problem would be. If that's ok, I'll open up the other side a little bit so the electric fireplace will fit through the hole.

If I can keep the converter out of one of the benches, I can mount the fresh water tanks, and still have a fair amount of storage space under them. I also don't want to mess with weakening the benches by cutting a hole, as the hole won't leave much room to fiberglass wood supports on behind it.

The water pump will fit to the right of the tank in this picture.

Other side:

I'm thinking about putting some insulation around the outside of the camper, and the floor under the benches to help keep the tanks from freezing if I ever use it in cold weather.

Sorry about the grainy pictures, the phone does funny things when using the camper lights. Hopefully that will change when it's all replaced.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #199

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
I'm putting my pd4045 on the other side where the original converter was. It will be a lot easier to install my 30A cable on that side of the camper, hook up all the 12v circuits, and simply run romex to a junction box on the 110 circuit side.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #200

Kansas
I don't have any room on the other side, it won't fit between the furnace and fridge unless it's on end, which you supposedly aren't supposed to do, either. It'll also take up good storage space, where the other side is pretty much unusable for things, anyway. The biggest problem will be finding out what 12v wires run what, coming out of the converter. I plan to figure that out with a very scientific method...turn everything 12v on, and start cutting wires and see what quits...of course, I would never suggest anybody else try this method, it's dangerous, blah, blah, blah.

I'm thinking of modifying the cabinet on the fridge/furnace side, and cutting out the fiberglass between the door above the furnace, and the tall door next to it and putting a piece of plywood across the top of the furnace (with breathing room) all the way to the fridge, so I have a big tall cabinet for pots and pans. We'll see.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #201

Registry
Have you thought about using the lower part of the cupboard between the fridge and the heater where the old converter is? The cupboard on that side is 4 inches wider so you could squeeze it in front of the wheel well. It's a pretty unusable area for anything else. I haven't looked/measured but possibly under the fridge also. I'm totally redoing my cabinets and installing a new fridge so I have more to work with.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #202

Kansas
Quote:
Have you thought about using the lower part of the cupboard between the fridge and the heater where the old converter is? The cupboard on that side is 4 inches wider so you could squeeze it in front of the wheel well. It's a pretty unusable area for anything else. I haven't looked/measured but possibly under the fridge also. I'm totally redoing my cabinets and installing a new fridge so I have more to work with.
The opening between the fridge and furnace isn't wide enough, it would have to be stood on end, and they say not to. There isn't room under the fridge. I don't want to mess with new cabinetry, way more work than I care to do, especially with a Memorial Day deadline.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #203

Registry
Eh, I just saw where you previously said it won't fit in that cupboard unless it is on end.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #204

Registry
I'd consider looking at notching out the subfloor that extends under the cabinets below the fridge. Lots of wasted space under there.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #205

Kansas
Quote:
I'd consider looking at notching out the subfloor that extends under the cabinets below the fridge. Lots of wasted space under there.
Unless I'm missing something, if you're talking about the "toekick", that's the camper frame.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #206

Registry
OSB covers the frame and then extends out into the camper and the cupboards are screwed to it. You have several inches of OSB that you could notch out if you can stand to lose a little of the toekick.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #207

Kansas
Oh, I think I see what you're saying. Are you talking about putting the converter on the floor, and making it flush with the front of the cabinet? If so, I would be buying a lot of replacement covers for it, I think. That's why I didn't want it on the benches, I can see me kicking the crap out of it.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #208

Registry
How tall is it? Mine is in the garage and I haven't looked at it yet. Snug it up tight under the fridge and box it in underneath. I think you would still have a little bit of toekick. It would sure save a lot of work moving all the 12v to the other side.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #209

Kansas
The mounting hole is 10 3/4 x 7 1/4, but there's over a 1/2" lip on it, so add over an inch to each dimension. IIRC, it's 7 1/2" deep, with no fan clearance. I either have to move the 12v wires, or run the service wire to the left side, and then three romex runs back to the right side, so it's a horse a piece.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #210

Registry
Actually I took my 110 hot water heater out, it was toast. So I'll start my 110 outlet run from the new converter side and simply run one romex to the AC which goes under the ensolite. Only one run for me, two if I decide to put another hot water heater in.

Tags
scamp