New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #301

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
question, the new water filler box is square flush box, how are you addressing the round contours of the exterior to fill gaps around the edges?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #302

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Very bright! Have you done the side marker lights yet?
No, just got them today. If I'm not tired after work, I'll d probably do them tonight.

Its kind of wired for reverse. Scamp (or somebody, it's old) had 2" of the yellow wire cut out where the plug lead joined the trailer harness, and the yellow wire on the harness went to the tail lights and was marked as the brake light for foreign cars with split brakes (which almost all have trailer converters in the trailer harness anyway).

When I put the new lead on, I hooked the yellow wire back up between the lead and harness, and cut it off the tail lights. So, the wire is there, but if its like mine, you have to do a little work to make it work.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #303

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
question, the new water filler box is square flush box, how are you addressing the round contours of the exterior to fill gaps around the edges?
I used butyl tape (that's what the rv place said it is, at least), and stretched it thinner in the middle of the vertical part. I still had to use a little pressure to get it flush. I also used the rivets that flatten out (don't know the name, used on kayaks and such) to help from cracking the fiberglass.

The fresh water filler…I think that's going to require a custom adapter get made, we'll see.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #304

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jared
For spacers, adapters and fillers I use PVC house trim. Fairly easy to cut, work with and it won't rot. I save scraps from house trim jobs.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #305

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
How's your Scamp coming Eddie?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #306

I just picked it up from the fiberglass guy today. There was a small ding on the lower front lip that need to be gelcoated. I bought a new trim strip to go around the upper deck lower front lip so I decided to get the ding repaired.
Next is to verify measurements for a new axle. I am also working on a Casita that needs an axle. I am going to order both at once and make a trip to Pa. to Redneck to pick them up to save on shipping. My son has a flat bed equipment trailer with mobile home axles under it that need to be replaced with good axels. So we may order those at the same time. Looks like now is a good time to buy stock in Dexter
Eddie
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #307

Registry
I thought about taking my trim off prior to painting and replacing it with a new one but those millions and millions of rivets freak me out.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #308

Registry
Steve - IMHO don't waste your money painting unless you're going to remove all the trim and the windows. You'll always regret it.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #309

Registry
LOL! Oh I know, I've painted several. There really is no "lazy mans" way to paint something like this outside of paying someone to do it.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #310

I'm not painting mine, I may Zep-it. I put Zep on one trailer and it came out looking really good. My lower trim is good. The nose trim strip had been patched and had several other dings. You really don't notice your lower trim but any issues with the nose trim really catches your eye.
Eddie
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #311

Registry
I have like a 1/2 inch tear in the trim on the front curbside lip with a small amount of spider cracking behind it. Just enough to be noticeable. It is almost 30 years old so I should be happy that it isn't worse.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #312

Kansas
The marker lights came in today. Rear ones are in.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #313

Registry
Nice!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #314

Kansas
I did most of the plumbing tonight after work. The only things left are the hot/cold lines running across the back, which I'm leaving out until the rear floor is down for good, and the shower drain line, which I'm leaving until I get the new gray water tank.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #315

Registry
Wow, you must have bought a roll of that white stuff? Are you putting the furnace back in? Just out of curiosity was there a problem with the old "white flex pipe? I haven't changed mine yet. Was it rotted or was it okay when you took it out?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #316

Kansas
Furnace is going back in. I bought a 50' roll of the blue tracer 1/2", 25' roll of the red tracer 1/2", and a 25' roll of red tracer (they just had red) 3/4".

The old stuff is pretty crispy, and it wasn't very clean inside, either. The cheesy plastic fittings have been bent and stressed, etc. Some of them had the end folded over inside the hose, must have been great flow.

I didn't want to mess with the old stuff, just not worth a water leak to me. The hose isn't that expensive, although I didn't find one place that had all of it, had to use a few places.

The brass fittings on the other hand...ouch. Oh well, as the old saying goes, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Pex would have been tough to do, and lets face it, this stuff made it 28 years, and took me 3 hours or so to do today...I'm not too worried about longevity.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #317

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It appears you are filtering the entire trailer's water. even the o/s shower? Is this a sediment filer or taste filter? I use a sediment at the water hookup outside and a small refrigerator taste filter just for the sink. Also, how are you going to bypass this when winterizing, you do not want to fill that filter canister with antifreeze, yet you need to empty that while winterizing. Also I do not see a bypass on your hot water heater for winterizing.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #318

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It appears you are filtering the entire trailer's water. even the o/s shower? Is this a sediment filer or taste filter? I use a sediment at the water hookup outside and a small refrigerator taste filter just for the sink. Also, how are you going to bypass this when winterizing, you do not want to fill that filter canister with antifreeze, yet you need to empty that while winterizing. Also I do not see a bypass on your hot water heater for winterizing.
Yep, I'm filtering all of it. It does sediment, chlorine, cysts, and minerals. It's good for 600 gallons, which will take forever to go through. I forgot to mention the freshwater plumbing wasn't done, it will tee in before the filter, also. After seeing the old lines, I don't want unfiltered water through the plumbing.

The p.o. lived in a colder area, and just blew the lines out in the winter, then added antifreeze to the traps. The filter bowl will be drained and filter removed. It didnt come with a water heater bypass, and has worked for 28 years, so I'm going with it. It's simple enough to pull the pressure relief valve hose out of the floor, then pull the inlet hose off the heater and run it through the floor.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #319

Registry
Where did you get the filter system? Is it a house unit or something designed for RV's?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #320

Kansas
Home Depot. It's labeled as being for a sink, but comes with 3/8" pipe threads. The filter was goofed up, they had the inside completely closed off, so I just cut one end open. Bad day at the factory, I guess.

GE gx1501r

Tags
scamp