New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 18 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #341

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
PS I got my caps at the local Ace Hardware.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #342

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Thanks, and thanks. I have one by me, I'll check them tomorrow. I'm hoping I can just loosen the screws for the cabinets enough to drop them down and get painters paper behind them without removing them, as I'm doing all of this on my own, and can't imagine mounting them back up by myself. If I can do that, I'll just put new caps on one screw at a time.

The carpet squares are a hair different color (different box), but not enough that I care for a camper, especially since 95% of the carpet will be covered by the cushions 95% of the time.

I found lots of (what I'm pretty sure is) mold where scamp ran the carpet so far up the walls. I don't think the windows leaked, I think it's from the ensolite sweating and being covered by the carpet pad. That's why I made mine much shorter, even though a few stains show.

I'm tired of moving stuff around the camper, I want to get the carpet done, the support and cabinets painted, so I can just pile all the cushions up there and quit moving stuff. The only other thing to do will be curtain rods. If I find caps at Ace, I might install them before putting stuff back up there, also.

I'm giving dad measurements for the cabinet doors tonight, and making a paint sample to send to mom so she can get material for curtains and make them for me.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #343

Kansas
I found some metallic *gasp* silicone, and filled the horrid gap under the sink.

I found a shelving unit, cut a hole for the light switch box, and put it in. I also put a double coat hook in, so a few things can still be hung up. Other than a coat or two, I have no need to hang things up. I'm not taking my suit and tie camping.

I removed the trim, sanded, primed, and got one coat of paint on the other support. I should be able to put another coat on before work, and put the trim on after work, and go back to the carpet.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #344

Registry
Closet looks nice did you cut it out, it looks a bit wider? I put a couple of hooks above to the right of the exterior door (entering) by the bunk.

When I took my sink out I was surprised to see that the fiberglass counter conforms to the bottom of the sink. A lip rises up about 1/4 inch so that it doesn't leak.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #345

Registry
On the black stains on the ensolite I used "Clorox spray on cleaner" and let it sit for a few minutes. It took it right off but don't get it on any fabric or it will bleach it out. Kills any mold though.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #346

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hey guys. I found white epoxy floor paint at HD. It was about $30 a gallon. Last time I painted a floor I could only find gray epoxy. I plan on putting the back end together today. I finally got all the parts lined up. My big issue is how to cover the wall table board. I had to cut the ensolite away 2" around the board to make the repair. I covered it already with refletix and plan to use a light ID/OD tan carpet.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #347

Kansas
The cabinet opening is stock. I thought about hooks above the couch, but it wouldn't be handy with the screen door there.

I got all the black stains off. There are orangeish stains from the carpet backing still there. I used bleche-white tire cleaner on it, worked great for the rest of the stuff. I'm guessing the orange stains aren't going to come out. Everywhere else, it cleans the ensolite very well.

I need to find some ensolite, I need to remove the piece under the rear window, and replace it.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #348

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Trillium Tom sells white Ensolite by the foot (cut from 57" wide bolt).
See it at this link

Link to order form.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #349

Kansas
Awesome, thanks. I really didn't want to replace it with something else. I think I'm the oddball that still likes the stuff.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #350

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I like Ensolite, too, mostly for its washable qualities. I like to hose the trailer out periodically...
I'm sorry that Tom doesn't carry it in the original color that matches older Trilliums like mine, though. Good thing for me that mine's still in good shape...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #351

Kansas
Yeah, it might not match mine, but it'll have to be. Well, after lots of searching, I found a wholesale hardwoods supplier in minneapolis that menards can order 3/8" MDF from, so dad is going to order and pay for it at menards, then drive to the other place to pick it up to save on shipping it to menards. $26 a sheet, not too bad.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #352

Registry
Sounds like you're getting close!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #353

Kansas
Well, I finished the painting/trim on the support, and got the carpet down.

All that's left on this end is painting the cabinets (waiting on rain to quit to loosen the screws), and new curtains.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #354

Registry
The only place in my whole trailer that showed signs of obvious leaking were those berth cabinets. The first project that I did when I got home with the trailer was to tear them out. Honestly, I couldn't imagine a use for them so I'm not planing on replacing them. Yours look to be in good shape.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #355

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Looks great Jared! Love the colour. Wish I was your Mom would be fun picking fabric out to go with that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #356

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yeah, it might not match mine, but it'll have to be. Well, after lots of searching, I found a wholesale hardwoods supplier in minneapolis that menards can order 3/8" MDF from, so dad is going to order and pay for it at menards, then drive to the other place to pick it up to save on shipping it to menards. $26 a sheet, not too bad.
What kind of hardwood are you going with?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #357

Kansas
Oh, not hardwood, just 3/8" mdf. Had a really hard time finding it. I'm just painting them.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #358

Registry
Oh I see, you bought it through a "wholesale hardwoods distributor". I was wondering how you were going to incorporate hardwood doors into your 50's theme.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #359

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Tire Selection question for Jared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post

Yes, and yes. For now, at least. When I replace the axle I'll be going to 5 lug 15" if I can fit them. I wasn't too impressed with how the 13" tires would flatten the sidewall on a bump. I always liked maxxis trailer tires and was surprised by this. today I noticed they're p's, not st's. Doh! That explains that.
So what tire did you end up getting? I have been looking at some TaskMasters from discount tire. rated for 87mph, 2833 Lbs, 10 ply. Just have to make sure they are in line with my modification for axle height. I will take my Egg to the dealer to make sure first.
Taskmaster Provider ST Radial Trailer Tire ST225/75R15E 117N

If anyone else has anything good,bad or different to say please chime in. I have tried to read every thread on this forum and Casita about tire selection and I think I will stick with the ST for my first go around.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #360

Kansas
I haven't bought them yet, but I'm going to get the 10 ply rated maxxis 8008's.

Tags
scamp