New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Also, just looking at your pics you might want to pull off all that old yellowed seam tape. I took mine off and there was mold in the seams. I cleaned it up pretty good and washed it with bleach. It went a long way towards getting rid of the musty smell. You can still buy the tape and most other original parts that you need from Scamp and they are pretty reasonable.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Have you found the source of leak for the rotted floor? Looks discolored but I can not tell it's condition. I pained my underlayment with an oil base paint to "seal" it before laying my laminate down.
By the way, I'm going to move this thread to another category "Care and Feeding" since it is now beyond introductions. Keep up the pictures, we love pictures.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'm going to love watching this. I have a 1984 that I'm about to start tearing into and making major mods. Right now I'm collecting all the new parts, converter/charger, solar system, sink. Gonna redo the floor, new cabinet doors etc. I'm also making the bed mod moving it lengthwise instead of sideways. I'm looking for a bigger, nicer fridge and I'm toying with the idea of making it either a rear kitchen or rear bathroom (major mods). This is the luxury/curse of buying a cheap older trailer. I also need to change out my axle, let me know if you come up with a good one at a great price. Somebody put a leaf spring axle in mine and did a butcher job of doing it.

I called scamp today. I ordered the factory lift, and a new 3500 lb axle with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Easy, and I thought the price was fair enough. I also found out that the model wheel I have on my truck, also comes in a trailer wheel, bonus!

Quote:
Also, just looking at your pics you might want to pull off all that old yellowed seam tape. I took mine off and there was mold in the seams. I cleaned it up pretty good and washed it with bleach. It went a long way towards getting rid of the musty smell. You can still buy the tape and most other original parts that you need from Scamp and they are pretty reasonable.
Will do. Mine isn't musty at all, but it looks bad, anyway. I'm collecting a parts list, and will be getting a lot of stuff at once to save on shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Have you found the source of leak for the rotted floor? Looks discolored but I can not tell it's condition. I pained my underlayment with an oil base paint to "seal" it before laying my laminate down.
By the way, I'm going to move this thread to another category "Care and Feeding" since it is now beyond introductions. Keep up the pictures, we love pictures.
The weatherstripping is bad on the back window. I just blobbed silicone all over it for now, since I'm trashing it, anyway. The floor could probably be left alone...but I'm already there. I'm going to replace it.

I don't have much to show. I've been removing decals before work when it's light, and cleaning the floor inside at night. I have two days into sanding down the floor just from the door through the kitchen, haven't even touched the raised portion yet. My oscillating sander and 36 grit hardly touched it. I'm running a 5" angle grinder with a 5" 36 grit flap disk in it.

I'm trying to put in 2mm peel and stick vinyl plank. If I went with laminate, I could be down by now. If I put a thin underlayment down, then the vinyl plank, I could be done by now. The problem is, my head just touched with the carpet and padding, now I have a fingers width of head room, and I don't want to lose that. An 1/8" is a big difference right now. So, I have to get the floor very flat to look decent, and clean of the glue/padding. After that, it's getting several thick coats of primer to help level it a wee bit more and stick down any loose fibers.

The benches will be out for a while. I want to redo the wiring, add more outlets, replace all the hoses for the plumbing, new water fillers with filters, port to clean out the fresh water tank, level monitors, etc.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #18

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Axel Swap

Jared
If I were a days drive from the Scamp factory I would consider getting them to do the lift and axle work. You can't beat their labor cost and you will be back on the road the same day and you save on shipping. I took a 13 to them for an axle swap and made a vacation out of it. You just need to make an appointment to get it done. Need to move quick if you go this route because of winter weather.
Eddie
Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #19

Registry
I found a, made in America, 3500 lb axle here in Vegas for $249. It doesn't have hubs or brakes so I need to see if the ones on the axle I have will fit it. The axle isn't my #1 priority as I drove several thousand miles with this one and never noticed the difference until I crawled under to see about combining the outlets to both sewer systems.
Right now I'm looking for a Dometic rm8555. It is a beautiful fridge but the nice thing is it is less than 21" wide and will fit through our doors without modification on the doorway.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #20

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300 Nor'Easter Egg '06 Ranger Supercab 3.0L auto
Newfoundland
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Hayes
In using the Search function, I ignore the top box, and use the lower one - the Google Custom Search - delivers much, much better targeted results...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
I had a car that had wheels I disliked. I bought two cans of spray paint, different colors, and liked the result.

BTW Welcome to the forum

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #22

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Jared
If I were a days drive from the Scamp factory I would consider getting them to do the lift and axle work. You can't beat their labor cost and you will be back on the road the same day and you save on shipping. I took a 13 to them for an axle swap and made a vacation out of it. You just need to make an appointment to get it done. Need to move quick if you go this route because of winter weather.
Eddie
Eh, in the time it would take me just to drive one way, I can have the old one out, and the new one in. Plus, I really don't want to tow it that far as is. I also won't even have wheels for it for a bit (looks like they'll be on backorder until halfway through next month). I don't want to burn up my vacation time, either. Also, with the lift and new axle on it, I have to weld up a new hitch box and put a king pin on it, which I doubt they would be willing to do. Otherwise, I won't have a way to pull it with the new axle under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
In using the Search function, I ignore the top box, and use the lower one - the Google Custom Search - delivers much, much better targeted results...
Thanks. That's much better. I couldn't find a single floor repair, now there's pages of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I had a car that had wheels I disliked. I bought two cans of spray paint, different colors, and liked the result.

BTW Welcome to the forum
I probably would do that if I had wheels that would fit, but my old axle is 4 lug, and the new one is 5 lug, so I have to buy new ones.

Thanks, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge. I love forums for specific things. It's almost a guarantee somebody has done the trial and error for you.

Well, I got the lower part of the floor down. I'm going to use 1/2" aluminum angle to trim out the edges. It's just laying loose in the picture, I wanted to see if it would work alright, it will. I bought a $20 heater to warm it up, since it got cold here. I left it running overnight to help the floor out, hopefully it doesn't burn the trailer down.

What a pain working in such a small area, with all sorts of corners and NOTHING is square.

I've had a few lights burn out while I've been using them, and the lenses have to be squeezed to take them out...they don't like that. They're yellowed with a horrid fake wood band around them, anyway. New white lights with bulbs are $5.09. bulbs are almost $2 each at Wal-Mart...easy decision, they're on order, along with new white bullet lights. Time to ditch the 80's stuff inside, and get new.

Ah, projects...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #23

Registry
Doesn't look too bad for peel and stick vinyl. You're making progress that is better than I can say.
Until my gal releases me from TILE duty I'm in collecting parts mode. So far I've got hand scrapped wood plank flooring (3 boxes for $2 at garage sale), new 65 amp converter/charger w/smart charge, new wheels and tires, double sink, queen memory foam mattress for my bed mod, and a landing gear motor so I can ditch the crank. Still looking at options for cabinets but don't want to commit until I know what I'm moving etc.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #24

Kansas
Quote:
Doesn't look too bad for peel and stick vinyl.
It's alright. I would have preferred laminate, but I didn't want to give up the headroom.

I got decals removed from one side of the trailer.

After another scrubbing with barkeeper's friend:

The ghosting is more obvious than the picture shows, but I'm going to block sand it to get it the best I can, and go with different decals, not sure what yet.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #25

Registry
This place carries a lot of surplus RV parts, especially surplus decals, check them out. Sorry I wish I had their link but it comes up as ebay.com/TRI-STATE-SURPLUS

I love your awning. Is it in good shape?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Direct link: Decals Pin Striping, RV Dinettes Mattresses items in Tri State Surplus store on eBay!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #27

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I'm envious of all the space you have Jared. Happy camping to you.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #28

Kansas
Quote:
I love your awning. Is it in good shape?
It's supposed to be. I haven't tried it.

I just ordered this in the silver/charcoal:

Tags
scamp