New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #281

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If there's a "standard" for trailer 12v wiring, either Scamp or E-trailer (see below) has it wrong. Which is it?

Not that it matters in this case- the trouble came in because the taillights Jared was wiring had a black wire, which in no case has anything to do with lights on a trailer.

Francesca
IIRC, all the harnesses I've used came wired like the one you show. No matter, it works now. I figured red went to red, green to green, the white ground would go to black on the lights, since they're automotive, and automotive is black ground.

They're done, and they work. They're quite bright, but in the camera they blink (?) and every time I take a picture, they both show like they're not on...don't ask me. I have almost all those damned scotch-locks out of the harness now. The Led lights should finish up getting rid of them. So far EVERY wire with them has been corroded, and I've had to remove about a foot of it to get to good copper, then splice a length in. God I hate those things with a passion, they should be outlawed.

The other lights should be easy, the only thing there should be getting the polarity right. *famous last words*

Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #282

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Just different codes. I'm just saying Scamp uses the Bargman 7 pin RV wiring code. If you look up the Bargman 7 pin pigtails on E-trailer they give you the bargman code. And in other places they refer to the Bargman code. Most people have problems when installing 7 pin molded pigtails to cargo trailers.
Eddie

Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #283

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
If there's a "standard" for trailer 12v wiring, either Scamp or E-trailer (see below) has it wrong. Which is it?
Francesca
Neither E-Trailer or Scamp is wrong. There is more than one way to wire a trailer and Scamp uses the Bargman system - as do *many* other trailer manufactures, which E-trailer also sells harnesses for and will work just fine on a Scamp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #284

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Neither E-Trailer or Scamp is wrong. There is more than one way to wire a trailer .

Ah thank thass whut ah say-ud to begin with ten or twelve posts ba-yack:

Quote:
Sounds tough, but:

I don't think you'll find ANY replacement taillights with "trailer wiring colors", even if there was some standard for that, which there isn't.
Dunno how these here set-tos git started.....

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #285

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Neither E-Trailer or Scamp is wrong. There is more than one way to wire a trailer and Scamp uses the Bargman system - as do *many* other trailer manufactures, which E-trailer also sells harnesses for and will work just fine on a Scamp.
Yet another frustration of mine with the RV industry and wiring. Why is there no standard? I'm pretty sure all my other trailers are wired with the other system, what a pain. I just looked at the new lead I put on, and it is bargman, I just matched colors without thinking about it when I put it together.

I'm not used to rv's, I've never ran into a trailer wired this way. Yet another thing to remember, I guess. Rv one way, other trailers the other. I'm sure somebody mixed that up, too...
Old 03-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #286

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Why is there no standard?
Because they hate us.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #287

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm not used to rv's, I've never ran into a trailer wired this way. Yet another thing to remember, I guess. Rv one way, other trailers the other. I'm sure somebody mixed that up, too...
I think you will find that the Bargmen code is the most common one found on RV trailers. The other type was/is common to utility type trailers and horse trailers but more of the horse trailers are using the Bargmen as well these days.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #288

Kansas
A little more puttering...

I rewired the heater so the switch could be mounted outside of the heater. I also forgot to install an outlet for it, so I did that.

New shower faucet/hose/head...I need to get a few more screws to plug the old holes.

I also started some of the new plumbing. I need to get some brass fittings, the old plastic ones are mangled from being clamped down. I decided against pex, it would be a royal pain, and the old stuff made it 28 years. It's not that hard to replace, I'm just going with high quality hose.

In the morning I'm going to get a water filter, and hopefully install the fresh water filler if it isn't raining too much. I have to remove the old breaker box to make room for it.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #289

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Looking good Jared Is that a metal shower hose? Just be careful of abrasion to the shower wall as the metal rubs against the fiberglass as you're running down the road. I know some folks have replaced rough plastic ones because of that. Metal would even be worse.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #290

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Looking good Jared Is that a metal shower hose? Just be careful of abrasion to the shower wall as the metal rubs against the fiberglass as you're running down the road. I know some folks have replaced rough plastic ones because of that. Metal would even be worse.
I have had my hose scuff up the wall on mine as well but there is an easy fix for it.

Flip the hose so it hangs to the same side as the door and put a shower curtain in and when traveling just bunch up the shower curtain and stick it behind the hose. That keeps the curtain from sliding around on the rail while moving and protects the wall from the hose.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #291

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
As various people have pointed out, there are standards, but there is no single standard which supersedes all others.
  • The "Bargman" configuration is that defined by Bargman, who made the flat-pin 7-way "RV" connector originally, although there are many other manufacturers now. Boler followed this, and thus Scamp (the Boler clone) does as well; it is shown my Boler's owners manual (a diagram from Bargman), and in Scamp manuals (the oft-linked wiring diagram).
  • There is an SAE standard (J1239) for trailer connections, and it is common for the same colours to continue through the trailer. 4-pin flat, 6-pin round, and the style of 7-pin round connector used on commercial trucks typically follow this.

Real confusion occurs when someone applies the SAE standard to a Bargman/RV-style connector. In the end, it is the pin positions which matter - there is nothing that can be safely assumed from the colour of the insulation on a wire.

As for tail lamps... if the same lamp is used on both sides, it obviously can't follow the trailer connector colour coding, which would require a different colour of wire insulation for the turn signal light (or combined stop/turn) on each side. The best you can hope for is for the "ground" (common negative) and tail (positive) to be the same as whatever standard you are following.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #292

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The old one is metal, this is plastic just made to look like it. I didn't know that though, thanks for the info. This has an extra holder for the hose, I didn't have enough screws to install that last night, but I got them today. It holds the hose halfway between the faucet and shower head, that should help some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There is an SAE standard (J1239) for trailer connections, and it is common for the same colours to continue through the trailer. 4-pin flat, 6-pin round, and the style of 7-pin round connector used on commercial trucks typically follow this.
Real confusion occurs when someone applies the SAE standard to a Bargman/RV-style connector. In the end, it is the pin positions which matter - there is nothing that can be safely assumed from the colour of the insulation on a wire.

As for tail lamps... if the same lamp is used on both sides, it obviously can't follow the trailer connector colour coding, which would require a different colour of wire insulation for the turn signal light (or combined stop/turn) on each side. The best you can hope for is for the "ground" (common negative) and tail (positive) to be the same as whatever standard you are following.
Yeah, it's the SAE one I'm used to, and confusion definitely occurred. With the SAE stuff, I've always been able to wire lights to the appropriate colors, with the exception of the right turn signal wire on the light, which is always the color code of a lh one (at least that I've ran into).

Oh well, it all works now.

I spent a lot of time running for fittings I couldn't find today, so I have 1/2" brass hose barb 90's and T's on order from mcmaster now.

Where do you get the fittings that go on the faucets? I haven't seen them on any rv site, what am I missing? I need some straight, and hopefully some 90's, also. I really feel clueless half the time I'm working on this thing.

I got the city water filler and the outdoor hose hookup installed.

Tonight I'll do some more indoor stuff, and install the water filter housing.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #293

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Looking good! Like the tail lights and shower.Did I miss the talk about the heater....sure looks like it could be a fireplace type....nothing like a fireplace you don't have to clean the ash and coals out of on a cold winter day. Just cozy up with a good book and enjoy
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #294

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Looking good! Like the tail lights and shower.Did I miss the talk about the heater....sure looks like it could be a fireplace type....nothing like a fireplace you don't have to clean the ash and coals out of on a cold winter day. Just cozy up with a good book and enjoy
Yep, it's an electric fireplace. It looked neat, why not? It doesn't really fit with the diner theme, but it's going in anyway.

Tags
scamp