New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 23 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #441

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Where does the spare tire go?
In the pickup. I carry two spares, and use them for the camper and car trailer, so no point mounting it. It was screwing up the fiberglass, anyway. I'm also putting a rear receiver hitch on it later, and the tire would be in the way of a cargo rack.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #442

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just FYI.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #443

Kansas
I'm putting a '57 chevy pickup bumper on the back, I want it almost flush to the camper. the fiberglass is already pulled out where the tire had been mounted, no point waiting for it to rip out entirely.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #444

Kansas
She's cleaned up and ready to get inspected. In the morning I'll disconnect water/power/check lug nuts, tire pressure, hook up brake wires, etc., before work. Then it's up early tuesday to hit the DMV...fingers crossed.

There's still plenty of work to be done. I think I can have the water system done, and if things keep going as well as they have been, the propane is looking promising.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #445
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Very nice work, Jared- I read through the whole thread. You've done an incredible amount in just a few months, especially considering your work schedule. Would love to see it in person some day.

Keep up the amazing stuff you're doing, take some time to enjoy it, the electrical inspector can't have ALL the fun!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #446

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
She's cleaned up and ready to get inspected. In the morning I'll disconnect water/power/check lug nuts, tire pressure, hook up brake wires, etc., before work. Then it's up early tuesday to hit the DMV...fingers crossed.
Us too. Hope everything goes well. I'm betting it will and the inspector will be IMPRESSED just like we all are
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #447

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Well, how did the inspection go? It's looking really good!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #448

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Wow Jared you have set a new bar level for non-commercial renovation as far as I am concerned. Would be hard to beat if anyone were keeping track. Between you and Ryan its been a pleasure to watch the last few months and I so appreciate the documentation.

Do you hire out? LMAO
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #449

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Looking EXCELLENT.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #450

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Well, how did the inspection go? It's looking really good!
Everything's so topnotch that he probably walked right through it...but still:
Don't keep us on pins and needles, Jared! How'd it go?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #451

Kansas
No sweat with the inspection. They drug a few people out to look at it. It's licensed now.

I pulled the fresh water tanks, redid the fittings with the good thread sealant, reinstalled the tanks, installed the tank vent plumbing, and the fresh water filler. I also ground the upholstery glue off the back wall so I can fiberglass the board for the table mount in.

Thanks for the compliments guys! It's been a learning experience, glad it's almost done. The cabinet doors are slow to dry, he's hoping I can get them Sunday, we'll see.

Next up is leak checking the fresh water side, installing the water heater/water pump switch panel, running cables from the battery to the converter.

Extras are putting the steps on, getting the propane together, etc. We'll see how much time is left. I'm ready for vacation!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #452

Kansas
Well, I filled the fresh water. I fought hose clamp leaks (getting tired of them, wish I found some good IDEAL brand clamps in town), and got that fixed. The next problem was the second tank fills a fair amount slower than the first tank, and when the first tank filled and overflowed, the water ran down into the bottom of the vent line and didn't let the second tank fill. I figured the pressure of the water in the first tank wanting to go into the second would be enough to push the air by the water in the vent, but apparently not. I took the vent hose off the second tank, and it started filling again.

So, I had to put a separate vent in for the second tank.

Then I went to an ag company here and bought two sprayer tip strainers to use as screens for the fresh water tank drain, and vent for the second tank. I just used window screen on the big vent line for the gray water tank, I'll come up with something better later.

Then...the water pump leaks when it shuts off, and doesn't have good flow when on. I'm assuming it's sucking air when running. There are no repair kits available anymore, and since it runs ok, I figured I would try and fix it. I tore it apart, cleaned it all up, and siliconed the seal.

If it works, it cost me 20 minutes of time. If not, I'll get a variable speed one to replace it. I wouldn't do this on one that had a kit available, but since there isn't, I'm not out anything for trying.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #453

Registry
You're a machine, Jared!

May I ask why you put strainers in the freshwater drain lines? Seems like you'd want to get rid of any crud that got in there...

Francesca
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #454

Kansas
It's to keep critters from going the other way. The tip strainer just unscrews for quick cleaning.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #455

Texas
You could run moonshine with that get up.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #456

Kansas
Believe me, some apple pie moonshine (I know, it's not close to the real stuff) will be had as soon as the camper is unhooked Wednesday.

How do you run a 12v led for a 120v water heater? You buy a 120v-12v dc adapter, crack it open, rip the plug off of it, drill holes in the case, solder in wires, and tape it back together, then superglue it.

P.S. There's a cover for the electrical box on the heater, just had it off to wire it.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #457

Kansas
Lights and switch panel work.

Battery cables ran inside.

power distribution center installed for the road, and the electric fireplace strapped down.

If the water pump doesn't leak in the morning, and the tanks are still dry, the water system is done. The shower drain leaks at a rotten seal, but it's just getting a healthy glob of silicone for now.

I need to weld the step on, and then finish the battery cables outside. They go through the piece I have to weld the steps to, so I have to have the welding done first.

The wheel well needs trimmed a bit, quick fix.

After that, throw the seats/table in, and either the old or new cabinet doors (if they're dry), and pack the damn thing!

I have a terminal stud for the two red battery cables and tow vehicle +12 wire being shipped to my parents, so I'll have to throw that in there, but that should be only a few minutes.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #458

Texas
Warning Warning Will Robinson you just said Silicone. Donna will be here in 5 minutes with her switch!! So you will wake up at night after the applejack and see a pair of green eyes glowing at you in the dark and wonder where you are. Now thats its 95 here I need to get motivated on my egg. Great job and pictures.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #459

Registry
I see you use the same labeling system I do, Jared...nothing like painter's tape for memorializing wiring diagrams and other what-did-I-just-do stuff!

Where you gonna take her for the Maiden Voyage?

Francesca
Old 05-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #460

Kansas
William O,Brien state park, about an hour north of Minneapolis.

The steps are on, I wish they were out further, but it's really not possible with the door curving under.

Tags
scamp