New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 26 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #351

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Yeah, it might not match mine, but it'll have to be. Well, after lots of searching, I found a wholesale hardwoods supplier in minneapolis that menards can order 3/8" MDF from, so dad is going to order and pay for it at menards, then drive to the other place to pick it up to save on shipping it to menards. $26 a sheet, not too bad.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #352

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Sounds like you're getting close!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #353

Kansas
Well, I finished the painting/trim on the support, and got the carpet down.

All that's left on this end is painting the cabinets (waiting on rain to quit to loosen the screws), and new curtains.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #354

Registry
The only place in my whole trailer that showed signs of obvious leaking were those berth cabinets. The first project that I did when I got home with the trailer was to tear them out. Honestly, I couldn't imagine a use for them so I'm not planing on replacing them. Yours look to be in good shape.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #355

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Looks great Jared! Love the colour. Wish I was your Mom would be fun picking fabric out to go with that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #356

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yeah, it might not match mine, but it'll have to be. Well, after lots of searching, I found a wholesale hardwoods supplier in minneapolis that menards can order 3/8" MDF from, so dad is going to order and pay for it at menards, then drive to the other place to pick it up to save on shipping it to menards. $26 a sheet, not too bad.
What kind of hardwood are you going with?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #357

Kansas
Oh, not hardwood, just 3/8" mdf. Had a really hard time finding it. I'm just painting them.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #358

Registry
Oh I see, you bought it through a "wholesale hardwoods distributor". I was wondering how you were going to incorporate hardwood doors into your 50's theme.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #359

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Tire Selection question for Jared

Quote:

Yes, and yes. For now, at least. When I replace the axle I'll be going to 5 lug 15" if I can fit them. I wasn't too impressed with how the 13" tires would flatten the sidewall on a bump. I always liked maxxis trailer tires and was surprised by this. today I noticed they're p's, not st's. Doh! That explains that.
So what tire did you end up getting? I have been looking at some TaskMasters from discount tire. rated for 87mph, 2833 Lbs, 10 ply. Just have to make sure they are in line with my modification for axle height. I will take my Egg to the dealer to make sure first.
Taskmaster Provider ST Radial Trailer Tire ST225/75R15E 117N

If anyone else has anything good,bad or different to say please chime in. I have tried to read every thread on this forum and Casita about tire selection and I think I will stick with the ST for my first go around.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #360

Kansas
I haven't bought them yet, but I'm going to get the 10 ply rated maxxis 8008's.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #361

Kansas
Well, I made mounts for the microwave so I don't have to move it to travel. 1 1/2 x 1/8" aluminum with some no-slip rubber between it and the microwave. I used existing threaded spots on the microwave, just needed longer screws.

I got some of the new curtain rods up, also.

I ordered new curtain material: Amazon.com: 54'' Wide Premier Prints Check Black/White Fabric By The Yard: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I also ordered more of the green vinyl to cover the door, and get that icky crap off of it.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #362

Registry
That microwave isn't going anywhere, especially with the kitty holding it down tight!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #363

Kansas
Finally good weather, and not much wind!

I pulled the back floor up again, and got the new crossmember and fresh water tank supports welded in. There's one coat of POR-15 on it now, it's drying fast, so I'm hoping I can recoat it in a few hours, and still get the floor down late tonight, we'll see.

I decided against the 50 gallon tank, it wouldn't let me do a few other things I wanted, and would have been a general paint to install. One of the problems was it moved the crossmember so far back, the floor would have felt soft under the table.

I ended up installing the crossmember to fit this: Ameri-Kart ABS Recessed End Drain 38 Gallon RV Holding Tank - End Drain - Permanent Holding Tanks - Black Water Tanks - Plumbing

With 40 gallons of fresh water, and some getting used for cooking, outside washing, drinking, etc., 38 gallons of gray water should work out just right.

I didn't paint the bottom of the frame rails, eventually I'm doubling up the frame rails the whole length of the camper, but it's not going to happen before memorial day. I want to do it to install the rear receiver and '57 chevy bumper I'm putting on it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #364

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Quote:
I pulled the back floor up again, and got the new crossmember and fresh water tank supports welded in. There's one coat of POR-15 on it now, it's drying fast, so I'm hoping I can recoat it in a few hours, and still get the floor down late tonight, we'll see.

I decided against the 50 gallon tank, it wouldn't let me do a few other things I wanted, and would have been a general paint to install. One of the problems was it moved the crossmember so far back, the floor would have felt soft under the table.

I ended up installing the crossmember to fit this: Ameri-Kart ABS Recessed End Drain 38 Gallon RV Holding Tank - End Drain - Permanent Holding Tanks - Black Water Tanks - Plumbing

With 40 gallons of fresh water, and some getting used for cooking, outside washing, drinking, etc., 38 gallons of gray water should work out just right.

I didn't paint the bottom of the frame rails, eventually I'm doubling up the frame rails the whole length of the camper, but it's not going to happen before memorial day. I want to do it to install the rear receiver and '57 chevy bumper I'm putting on it.
Looking good, Jared. I especially like your outboard floor supports. Otherwise the shell rests on the frame at the front and rear only. There's not much cantilever support of the shell from the floor down the long sides since most of the floor is recessed below the frame rails. The end result is the frame and shell can flex a surprising amount.

Pat from MN built an excellent truss work to straighten and stiffen his D19 frame. His pix are worth seeing! (Note: Mods+ is a Yahoo group which requires membership but it's open and free)

I look forward to your frame rail doubling, Jared. My S19 is slated for a similar mod this year in concert with other work. I've already done major floor repair once. Sadly, I caught a plumbing leak rather late. While sobbing in my milk I look to your progress for fresh ideas.

FYI, a few years back I converted an Scamp 16 into a Tiny Toy Hauler. I beefed up shell support a bit differently. I aligned cantilevers with the rear dinette step to leverage that sheet metal's shear strength. (Go ahead and groan at my puns; otherwise, it's a waste. ) For my S19 I plan similar supports as part of the upcoming work.

I don't wish to bend this thread any further. I just thought that info might interest/benefit some. Going back to lurk mode...

Tags
scamp