New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #61

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I just did cleanup work on it today. I cut off the remaining axle bracket pieces, and have about 2/3 of the floor crossmember structure cut out.

Here's what I found when I looked at the old axle bracket, I guess it's not just new ones cracking out.

If you look 1/2" right from the left side of the torch cut, you can it's starting to crack down from there, as well.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #62

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
"Steve - I've documented power draw on a number of items in our Scamp 19. If you convert to LED lights, I doubt you'll need a second module unless you're planning to run the heater all night. We can go eight days comfortably on the pair of Interstate GC-2 batteries without any charge."

I'm assuming you mean no plug in charge, just the solar. How much solar capacity do you have? I still haven't bought my fridge yet and I've been toying with the idea of a 12v fridge. If I do that I might need a bit more power as it will draw about 30 amps per day. The 12v fridge is currently down to at least 3rd place in my order of fridges at the moment so probably won't get done.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #63

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
"Steve - I've documented power draw on a number of items in our Scamp 19. If you convert to LED lights, I doubt you'll need a second module unless you're planning to run the heater all night. We can go eight days comfortably on the pair of Interstate GC-2 batteries without any charge."

I'm assuming you mean no plug in charge, just the solar. How much solar capacity do you have? I still haven't bought my fridge yet and I've been toying with the idea of a 12v fridge. If I do that I might need a bit more power as it will draw about 30 amps per day. The 12v fridge is currently down to at least 3rd place in my order of fridges at the moment so probably won't get done.
No - I don't mean using solar to charge the batteries. I mean the pair of GC-2 6 volt golf cart batteries will last us 8 days without any charging, assuming our normal usage patterns for lights, fans, water pumps, cell phone chargers, etc.

We don't have a solar installation yet - it's on my dream list. We do have a Honda 2000 generator that has been used once in the past two years to top up the original battery after 4 days of dry camping.

KamperBob has a 12 volt fridge and is now using solar to meet nearly all his needs with a single module. Check his blog entries around late June for more info.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #64

Registry
12v fridges are great, I had one and loved it. The only downside was the size, I like more space. Mine was, I believe, the 2.4 cu ft size and it was okay for weekend trips. However, I take very few weekend trips most of my RV'ing is jumping in the rig when school gets out in June and not returning until school starts in the fall. I teach semi incarcerated inner city gang kids. Very bad behavior problems to say it nicely. By summer the stress of the job and heat of Las Vegas are overwhelming. Just waiting for the day when I don't have to come back.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #65

Kansas
Well, the flooring cross members are out, and the frame is fully cleaned up.

I also found some frame cracks, in addition to the ones on the axle bracket.

Look at the dark spot in the ground area, you can see a crack running around the left side of it:

This one is several inches long:

Tomorrow I need to weld up the cracks, and a few grind marks, then finally start installing the axle lift. I'll do the floor cross members afterwards.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #66

Kansas
Well, it was one of those days.

It was windy, and I had to switch to flux-core wire (never used it). I could NOT get my welder to work. I messed with it for several hours, it was undercutting 1/8" steel on the lowest heat setting, sizzled like bacon, and the welds cracked as they cooled.

I finally gave up and went to the weld shop and asked them if I was a complete idiot, or what. The guy just started laughing when I told him what was going on. "Flux core is reverse polarity, you didn't reverse your leads. We have 2-3 people a week coming in here wondering what's wrong with themselves, because they can't weld with flux core." @(*&*$@!()!!!

So, I got the lift frame rails welded in, put the spare tires from my car trailer on the new axle, got it aligned, and tacked the axle brackets on, then set it on the ground to check everything out, including the height. I decided not to install the additional 1.5" spacers.

I went to the tire shop to get some LT235/75/15 tires installed, and they swore up and down they've had no problems with their new ST225/75/15 tires. I decided to try them, against my better judgement. My car trailer blows 1-2 tires every long trip, I hope these do better. We'll see.

It took 3 jacks to get the crossmember for the lift frame rails in place, due to the sagging floor. I finally got it in and tack welded, and promptly ran out of flux core. By the time I got home, it was too dark.

So, I put together the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch instead, and mounted it in the truck. I know it's not aligned quite right, I just chucked it in so I know the height to set the king pin at for the trailer tongue when I get done installing the axle and floor cross members.

I'm hoping I can finish burning the axle parts in, get that in and the tires on, and get the floor cross members in tomorrow. We'll see, hopefully things play nice.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #67

Registry
I had 13 inch car tires on my Trillium for 3 years and many thousands of miles. Never had a problem other than it fluttered like a balloon behind my rig when I went over 55 mph. A friction bar solved that. Not sure if it was the skimpy sidewall or what.

Fortunately I've never had a blowout on a single axle trailer, doesn't sound like fun.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #68

Kansas
The axle is in. I'll get pictures of it later, when I finish the floor crossmembers.

Before:

After (with full weight on the pickup):

I could've used the 1.5" spacers to level it, but I really didn't want it higher. I can do that when I install the king pin. It has 11.5" of bed clearance, plenty of room to drop it a bit. The fifth wheel hitch in the truck can also go down 2", but I figured if I fit the trailer with the fifth wheel hitch all the way up, it gives more clearance for a taller pickup later.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #69

Registry
Wow! Not a whole lot of clearance from your tailgate to the front of the trailer is there? Maybe the pic makes it look closer than it is.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #70

Kansas
The cross members are done now. They were a royal pain with the sagging floor. Oh well, I'll never have that problem again.

Ignore the booger welds between the angle iron and first cross member. I forgot to clean them there, and didn't care much. There wasn't much reason to weld them together in the first place, so I just scabbed a few beads on them.

Old cross members:

New cross members:

I still want to add two cross members under the dinette, but I'm going to wait until the floor is repaired, so I don't have to work around them.

If the weather somewhat cooperates, I'll be starting on the hitch tomorrow. Right now it's 30 mph wind, gusting to 45mph, makes welding great fun.

The wind was making a few embers glow on the wood for the floor, so I soaked the entire bottom of the camper, and surrounding ground.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #71

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel
Wow! Not a whole lot of clearance from your tailgate to the front of the trailer is there? Maybe the pic makes it look closer than it is.
10.5" from the rear bedside to the lowest part of the fiberglass. Any added weight will only help make that bigger. It has plenty of room.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #72

Registry
I'm talking front to back, will it turn and still miss the bed?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #73

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel
I'm talking front to back, will it turn and still miss the bed?
Ohhhhhh. No, not at all. Haha, sorry. It still has the stock scamp 2" ball coupler on it right now. I just wanted to see how the pickup and camper sat with the camper weight on it, so I set the ball coupler on top of the fifth wheel hitch, that's why it's so far forward. It'll have to be at least another foot back, I think. That's for the tape measure tomorrow, if weather permits. I'm not sure which clearance I'll have to plan for yet, bumper/ propane tank clearance, or cab/fifth wheel bunk clearance for turning. We'll see which one needs the camper the furthest back.

Here's how it's sitting in the picture:

Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #74

Registry
Ahhhhhhh gotcha, now it makes sense. I was thinking wow that looks a bit close.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #75

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Am I the only one that can't see Jared's new pics?
Properties says they're only 28x30 pixels and I just see a red "X." I've even tried Firefox, but I'm viewing/using the old default "skin" too.

Sorry Jared, I'd love to see what you're talkin about.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #76

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Am I the only one that can't see Jared's new pics?
Properties says they're only 28x30 pixels and I just see a red "X." I've even tried Firefox, but I'm viewing/using the old default "skin" too.

Sorry Jared, I'd love to see what you're talkin about.....
Sorry, not sure. I did some of that on my phone, but just got on my computer, and it shows up fine. I have windows 7/firefox, not sure if that makes any difference (computer idiot). They're photobucket links, I wonder if something on your end isn't liking that? Can you see the rest of my pictures?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #77

Registry
I use firefox and they show up just fine.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #78

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Sorry, not sure. I did some of that on my phone, but just got on my computer, and it shows up fine. I have windows 7/firefox, not sure if that makes any difference (computer idiot). They're photobucket links, I wonder if something on your end isn't liking that? Can you see the rest of my pictures?
Well, they're fine now.. for whatever reason. I'm using IE 9. Sorry to be a bother.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #79

Kansas
Well, I had to run around town today. I got the steel for the new hitch.

I got new glueless vinyl flooring (other cheap crap peels right off, argh!).

12x6"x8'6" remnant, $100 normally, $75 for remnant, plus a 23% off sale, made me happy. It should be plenty to do the camper.

The hitch is off, no turning back now.

The goofy excuse for a "fifth wheel".

Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #80

Registry
"The hitch is off, no turning back now."

Damn! I guess! You don't mess around!

What happened with your new floor? Was it Allure or some cheap copy?

Tags
scamp