New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #141

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
That looks really nice. What did you use for the backsplash?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #142

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It's actually meant for that. It's plastic. I got it at Menards. It's not cheap, $20 a piece, IIRC, and I needed 4 to do both sides. The edge trim is for a different product that was right by it.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #143

Kansas
I replaced the trailer plug/wiring lead somebody had put on previously. The splices weren't waterproofed, and it was to short to reach the side of the pickup bed. I also put a runaway brake switch on it, just because. All connectors are adhesive heat shrunk, and I put adhesive heat shrink over the insulation on both sides also, should stay nice and dry.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #144

Registry
Is the landing gear motor working yet? If so how is it?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #145

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Is the landing gear motor working yet? If so how is it?
Yep, works great. Faster than cranking by hand.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #146

Kansas
Well, more bad weather so I couldn't replace the back subfloor again. I cut out the new flooring instead. I was going to remove the other stuff I put down, but the glue stayed on the subfloor instead of the cheap flooring, so I just laid the new stuff on top. It doesn't get glued, so I can deal with the old stuff later if it becomes a problem.

I was hoping to keep a 12" pattern across the vertical part, but my remnant was just long enough to cut the two large pieces out of, with 1/4" extra, talk about luck. I got it centered at least.

The heater is going to be permanently mounted under the sink, with the new converter above it. I'm going to remove the door and make a new wood panel to cover the hole to mount them in.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #147

Kansas
On another note, I have enough of the side of the vinyl left to cover the table. Anybody see a good reason not to glue the normally glueless vinyl down to the table? I'll jsut paint the edge of the table turquoise. I'm also rethinking painting the cabinets with that floor in there. I think I might paint the benches, the couch, and all the doors in the camper tropical turquoise, and leave the rest of it alone. We'll see. It matches the floor quite well. The cushions are loaded up in the car, I'll get them to the upholstery shop monday...I'm afraid that's going to hurt.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #148

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Except that it's not heat resistant like laminate, I see no reason not to use the vinyl on the table top. I'd think it would be fine so long as you don't set anything hot down on top of it.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #149

Registry
The floor looks really nice! I've always liked that black/white pattern. For your table I'd consider just painting on the squares and then put liquid plastic/Varathane over it.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #150

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
The floor looks really nice! I've always liked that black/white pattern. For your table I'd consider just painting on the squares and then put liquid plastic/Varathane over it.

Both of theses are very good ideas...
and I know for a fact that stick on tile would make a pretty nice table top,but like has been said Don't put anything hot on it, and we want talk about how I know both of those facts. Lets just say after a long hard job of covering a table I am still upset at myself
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #151

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Looking good, Jared! I've considered chess board for when I redo my floor. I thought half black might be too dark. I like light. Seeing yours, maybe not. BTW, are you saving a piece for the fridge door insert?
KamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #152

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
And wives left to discover melted things.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #153

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Except that it's not heat resistant like laminate, I see no reason not to use the vinyl on the table top. I'd think it would be fine so long as you don't set anything hot down on top of it.

Francesca
Maybe I shouldn't tell you about the whoppin' I got for putting a hot clothing iron down on a formica counter top when I was a kid... laminate is NOT tile.

Just about anything can melt or distort. Maybe this should be an "education" moment?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #154

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Looking good, Jared! I've considered chess board for when I redo my floor. I thought half black might be too dark. I like light. Seeing yours, maybe not. BTW, are you saving a piece for the fridge door insert?
I'm going to paint it turquoise to match the upholstery.

I put the vinyl on the table, also. I subscribe to the Darwin theory.

It looks like this weekend should be nice enough to tear out the gray water tank and replace the rear subfloor.

I got the quote back from them, $1200, yikes! 22 yards of marine vinyl. It's going to be turquoise on the front panels, ivory on the sides and back, with black piping.

I have to bring a bench in tomorrow so we can match the color.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #155

Registry
That's some serious money. I guess you'll be keeping this rig for a while.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #156

Kansas
Quote:
That's some serious money. I guess you'll be keeping this rig for a while.
I hope so. I don't see much choice, really. The only way to get it cheaper is to go with poor fabric. I really don't want fabric in a camper, same with carpet.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #157

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe I shouldn't tell you about the whoppin' I got for putting a hot clothing iron down on a formica counter top when I was a kid... laminate is NOT tile.

Just about anything can melt or distort. Maybe this should be an "education" moment?
That's why I said "heat resistant" rather than "heat proof". Laminate will withstand momentary contact with, say a hot pan, a drip of candle wax, or other similar brief encounters with hot objects.

In most cases, vinyl won't!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #158

Registry
Go to ebay and type in RV cushions. Several will come up. Our Scamps are 43" long by 23" wide. You can pick up some really nice cushions for under $150 shipped and then modify them to fit the curves. Just another option.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #159

Kansas
Quote:
Go to ebay and type in RV cushions. Several will come up. Our Scamps are 43" long by 23" wide. You can pick up some really nice cushions for under $150 shipped and then modify them to fit the curves. Just another option.
I already put the down payment on it. I don't want fabric, anyway. I should mention, the $1200 is EVERYTHING. Benches, couch, bed.

I found myself locked out of the camper, the handle wouldn't move. I ended up taking the door off the hinges to get it open.

The catch was sitting at a goofy angle. I drilled the spot welds off to open it up.

The guide for the catch was only spot welded on one side, and it bent, allowing the catch to jam in the housing.

I straightened the guide out and fully welded it. It's ugly, I still have flux core in the welder. I have to cut out and remove a rear crossmember on the camper to make room for the new gray water tank, so I didn't want to change the wire. It won't bend again.

Spot welded again.

All pretty.

I wasted too much time fixing it, but I couldn't wait a week for a latch. Oh well, it's better than new, anyway.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #160

Registry
Won't happen again.

I spent almost $400 for a nice memory foam mattress so $1200 is probably not too bad for everything. I thought you were just talking dinette.

Tags
scamp