New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #321

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Well, a little more done. The backsplashes are up for good. The double sided tape was worthless. I used loctite power grab, they aren't going anywhere now.

The window trim screws weren't stripped thank god, they just needed to be longer.

The range hood is in also. The fan motor was wired backwards, so I had to swap them around. No biggie, I'm just glad I thought to make sure it would pop the vent open.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #322

Kansas
I got the drawing for the switch panel. It's going to be in brushed aluminum.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #323

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Are you going to do anything with the seam tape? I took all mine off and I'm looking at hot gluing decorative rope/cord into the seam. Anything would look better than that crappy looking tape. Fortunately none of the seams are too wide. In your 50's theme you could hot glue flexible LED light strips. They come in any length or color LOL!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #324

Kansas
Something, not sure what.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #325

Kansas
I just ordered this for the bathroom door and fridge door.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #326

Name: Wesley
Trailer: 1989 19ft 5th Deluxe Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I got the drawing for the switch panel. It's going to be in brushed aluminum.

Will it be lighted in the on position ? I've been looking for a small rocker switch that is lit when its on and will handle 110 volts for the electric kit added to the water heater .
shooter_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #327

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter_41 View Post
Will it be lighted in the on position ? I've been looking for a small rocker switch that is lit when its on and will handle 110 volts for the electric kit added to the water heater .
Yep, pump and water heater will be lighted in the on position. 12v led for the pump and 120v led for the water heater. I wanted a matching setup.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #328

Kansas
I finished the trailer lights. I'll try and get a picture tonight with them all on.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #329

Name: Wesley
Trailer: 1989 19ft 5th Deluxe Scamp
Missouri
Wow ! I like those lights !! Nice and clean looking . Great job
shooter_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #330

Registry
What's all that white stuff on the ground?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #331

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
What's all that white stuff on the ground?
That's Kansas idiot powder. Just add car drivers.

I was doing 65, no problem, and there were 4 cars greasy side up with people around them on the way to menards this morning, and probably 10 more in the ditch. The lanes were clear, just slush build up in the center of the lane, and the dotted lines. You could do speed limit just fine, but had to slow down to 40 or so to cross lanes...they didn't. Then there's the people that HAVE to drive in the painted lane, swerving and throwing slush everywhere, and running other cars off into the slush pile on the side, even though there are 3 clear safe lanes you can drive in, although not perfectly with the painted lines... *sigh* Roll with it, people. I'm guessing that's how a few of the cars flipped, somebody ran them out of the clear area and into the buildup on the side of the road.

I got a little more done tonight. I started putting the furnace in, and realized almost too late, that I need to run new power wires to it, because the existing ones are now tied into the master light switch I installed.

Since I was getting stupid, I gave up and went to the simple stuff.

Here's the lights at night, plenty bright:

I found some duct tape that perfectly matches the upholstery, so I bought it. The tape trimming out the closet opening was pretty rotten, so I removed it and put this on. I also bought some self stick carpet squares and put them in.

I've scraped myself on the rough fiberglass edges on this, so I trimmed it out in duct tape, also.

For a few $$ in duct tape and carpet, it sure looks nicer. I think I'm going to do shelves in the closet, not sure that will happen before the trip, though.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #332

Registry
I use the aromatic cedar tongue and groove closet liner for shelves. Very easy to work with and it gives it that fresh outdoors smell.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #333

Kansas
Slow progress. I'm ready to rip my hair out dealing with paints and primers. I've never had trouble before, apparently they were all reformulated recently, thanks EPA!

Long story short, had to hand sand the first primer off, it turned into a mess with an orbital. The new primer/paint is better, but still doesn't lay flat, even with a roller. I'll have to sand it, and try again. Boo. At least it matches.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #334

Registry
That orange carpet is looking familiar. The turquoise is a good color match is it just not sticking properly?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #335

Kansas
It sticks fine, just doesn't lay flat. Brush leaves streaks, roller leaves a mild texture. I'll knock it down with some 220 and give it a final coat, then it will have to be however it turns out. I've wasted too much time on it already.

Orange carpet is going. I'm using the same carpet I used in the closet.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #336

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
It sticks fine, just doesn't lay flat. Brush leaves streaks, roller leaves a mild texture. I'll knock it down with some 220 and give it a final coat, then it will have to be however it turns out. I've wasted too much time on it already.
Jared when trying for a very smooth finish on flat surfaces I have found that an oil based works the best or adding a paint extender or conditioner to the latex paint works as well also. It extends the drying time and lets the paint lay flatter. Also a foam roller or a fiber roller with a very small nap is the best.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #337

Kansas
It was a foam roller. I'm going to get some floetrol before the last coat and see what that does. It's ridiculous that it takes this much to get paint to work anymore. Somehow I wonder if using 5x as much of it is any more friendly. Pretty soon spraying will be the only option.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #338

Kansas
It's still not right, but the Floetrol helped. I give up, it's a camper, time to move on. It matches great, at least. The paint looks darker in the picture than it is.

It's not dry enough for the trim, yet. Tomorrow I'll start the other side. I want to get that and the cabinets in the bunk painted before I do the carpet. I try not to tempt Murphy.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #339

Kansas
Ok, I lied. I put part of the carpet down, I'll just cover it to do the cabinets. I need to order new screw washers/caps from scamp, and don't want to wait to do the carpet.

I'm going to take the trim off the other support and prime/get one coat of paint on it tonight.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #340

Registry
The carpet squares look really nice!

Tags
scamp